Windows 10: Microsoft Account Sign in or Local Account Sign in?

Discus and support Microsoft Account Sign in or Local Account Sign in? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all, Im curious and interested to know how the rest of Tenforums members sign in to their laptops/PC's? In my case I only have one device with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sportsfan148, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Microsoft Account Sign in or Local Account Sign in?

Hi all,
    Im curious and interested to know how the rest of Tenforums members sign in to their laptops/PC's?
    In my case I only have one device with Windows 10..and thats my laptop.
    My only other device is a Smartphone which is Android.
    Im always trying to decide which is the best way to sign into my laptop and my feelings can differ month to month lol
    Are there others out there with just a laptop or PC. How do you sign in?
    I realise its a personal choice. If I had a couple of Windows devices and liked to Sync everything between the two devices then for me the choice would be clear..it would be a Microsoft Account sign in.
    In the past prior to Windows 10 I used to just use a Local Account to sign in . However since Windows 10 even with just my single laptop Ive been signing in with my Microsoft Account but Im considering now going back to a Local Account.
    I thought Microsoft were gearing everything towards the Microsoft Account sign in because they were pushing Windows 10 as a mobile operating system. I thought they might possibly even phase out the Local Account sign in so I might as well get used to the Microsoft Account sign in method..but theyve quit the phone market now so now Im not so sure.
    I would be interested in other peoples thoughts on the most appropriate laptop sign in method if you only have one Windows device

:)

sportsfan148, Oct 15, 2018

2. sign into microsoft account glitch

Hi Micheal,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

• Is this the only account on the computer?
    • Was this account upgraded from previous version of Windows?

It looks like you are using a local account. I suggest you follow these steps:

• Click on search in taskbar and type account.
    • Click on Accounts.
    • Now, under Your account, click on Sign in with Microsoft account instead.
    • Enter your Local account password for confirmation and then follow the screen instruction.
    • Enter User name credentials for your the new Microsoft account and click OK.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Waseemulla S, Oct 15, 2018
  3. CSMR(2) Win User
    Signing into Onenote app converts local account to microsoft account

Steps:

• Sign into a local account
    • Open the OneNote app (tablet not desktop app)
    • Sign in to this app with a Microsoft account
    The local account is then converted into a Microsoft account with that identity.

This is wrong and unexpected behaviour as no indication is given that the sign in is for the whole of windows rather than just OneNote.

It is also hard to revert.

I am guessing that other apps may exhibit the same behaviour.

In fact I don't understand how an app (which is supposed to be sandboxed and secure) can change user account information.

CSMR(2), Oct 15, 2018
  4. Microsoft Account Sign in or Local Account Sign in?

Switch laptop sign in from MS account to Local Account questions

Hi, Ive just switched from signing in to my laptop with a Microsoft Account to signing in with a Local Account instead. My laptop was always listed as a Device on the opening screen along with a map showing its location when I looked in my Microsoft Account. Under Devices I could also view my laptop along with other bits of various information about the device and its location was always shown on a map there too. After signing into my laptop with my Local Account ..If I sign in separately to my Microsoft Account afterwards Ive just noticed that having switched to a Local Account my laptop isnt shown on the opening Microsoft Account screen anymore and its not listed in devices either. Is this normal behaviour? I was expecting to still find my laptop listed in Devices. Also...Under Update and Security/Activation..it used to say Digital Licence linked to a Microsoft Account. Now it just says Windows is Activated with a digital licence. Is all this normal behaviour if you sign into a laptop with a Local Account instead of a Microsoft Account?

sportsfan148, Oct 15, 2018
Thema:

Microsoft Account Sign in or Local Account Sign in?

1. Microsoft Account Sign in or Local Account Sign in? - Similar Threads - Microsoft Account Sign

2. Issue in signing in with microsoft account instead of local account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issue in signing in with microsoft account instead of local account: Hello, I have been trying to replace my local account with a microsoft account, but facing some issue.When I try to click on "Sign in with a Microsoft account instead" Reference image 1 it pops out a window called "microsoft windows" Reference image 2 and then closes...
  3. Issue in signing in with microsoft account instead of local account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Issue in signing in with microsoft account instead of local account: Hello, I have been trying to replace my local account with a microsoft account, but facing some issue.When I try to click on "Sign in with a Microsoft account instead" Reference image 1 it pops out a window called "microsoft windows" Reference image 2 and then closes...
  4. Signed in as Microsoft account vs local admin account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Signed in as Microsoft account vs local admin account: I have a user who cannot run some scripts using python to map some paths on dependencies. User is signed in with their Microsoft account which is FirstName LastName There is a space in between first and last name and then a phone number under their account when checking user...
  5. Signed in as Microsoft account vs local admin account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Signed in as Microsoft account vs local admin account: I have a user who cannot run some scripts using python to map some paths on dependencies. User is signed in with their Microsoft account which is FirstName LastName There is a space in between first and last name and then a phone number under their account when checking user...
  6. Sign in with local account or Microsoft Account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Sign in with local account or Microsoft Account: What are the advantages of signing into my Win 10 PC using a Microsoft account versus I have been using a local account. What do I gain by using the Microsoft account?...
  7. Local to Microsoft Account for Win10 sign in

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Local to Microsoft Account for Win10 sign in: I'm currently using a local sign in for my Win 10 Home computer. I've gone the "netplwiz.exe" route to eliminate having to sign in as I'm the only user in the home using that PC. I have several questions involving what happens if I switch and start using my Microsoft account...
  8. Signed in with a local account, unable to switch to Microsoft account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Signed in with a local account, unable to switch to Microsoft account: I switched my account to a local account and that seemed to mess up my Outlook app. I clicked Fix account, nothing happens. I try to sign in with Microsoft account in settings, a screen comes up and disappears immediately....
  9. Unable to revert Microsoft Account back to a Local Account ("sign in with a local account...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to revert Microsoft Account back to a Local Account ("sign in with a local account...: So my little brother wanted to buy Minecraft for Windows 10. His computer was set up with a single local administrator account and remained local up to this point. The Store requires you to sign in to a Microsoft account to buy stuff, so I did that with his Microsoft account...
  10. Microsoft Account Sign in or Local Account Sign in?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Microsoft Account Sign in or Local Account Sign in?: Hi all, Im curious and interested to know how the rest of Tenforums members sign in to their laptops/PC's? In my case I only have one device with Windows 10..and thats my laptop. My only other device is a Smartphone which is Android. Im always trying to decide which is the...