Windows 10: Microsoft account tied to built-in admin account

Discus and support Microsoft account tied to built-in admin account in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I seem to be in quite a pickle here, I upgraded my laptop, a few years ago from windows 7 to 10, recently my boss asked me to pass on my work to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Stedmister, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Microsoft account tied to built-in admin account

I seem to be in quite a pickle here, I upgraded my laptop, a few years ago from windows 7 to 10, recently my boss asked me to pass on my work to others, but there's a problem, My personal Microsoft account, somehow got linked to the built-in administrator account, the laptop is from a referb center, so I don't have backs to do a reinstall, also there files and programs that can't be deleted.

I migrated everything to a new admin account, problem is now I can't remove my MS account from the built in, and the account I converted to local about a year or so ago. I do a full reset, but I don't know if that blow out the product keys of the programs installed, just want my ms stuff out of them, I'm not signed into any apps I am aware of, yet my email listed under "Accounts used by other apps" all I have listed there is Manage, the pc been removed from http://accounts.microsoft.com. I spoke with MS about this, and it's been looping back to create a new account, anyone have any suggestions, is a clean install my only option here? I disable the built-in account, but my settings are still there.

:)

Stedmister, Jun 20, 2019
  2. Kari Win User

Undo Built-in Administrator Account tied to a Microsoft Account

No, that will not fix it.

I've been testing this now quite extensively because I found something that makes me worried; as of version 1709 it is now possible to use UWP apps also when signed in as built-in admin. This was not possible earlier. If tried, an error message like below was shown:

Microsoft account tied to built-in admin account [​IMG]

Now, with full access to UWP apps it means that, although it still is not possible to switch built-in admin account to a Microsoft account from Settings > Accounts, it is now possible to sign to UWP apps with MS account when signed to Windows as built-in admin and from there switch the system account to a Microsoft account when choosing wrong:

In my opinion this is a serious error, something that should not be possible and allowed.

When the built-in admin account has been connected to a Microsoft account, the only way to revert it, switch back to a local account is a clean install. The link to switch to a local account is simply missing:

For repair install, there's nothing to repair; the account is OK and working.

3. Undo Built-in Administrator Account tied to a Microsoft Account

Hi Brink, thanks for the response; I have checked the Microsoft Store, yet the MSA is NOT signed into the store.

Thank you for trying to help; I understand that while my account may look inexperienced (including the typo "build is" rather than "built in"), I am far from it. I did mean the built-in Administrator account is logged in with an MSA, as others have commented on below. Understandably, you didn't know, as it was new information to me as well!
    My apologies, I wouldn't have posted a new thread if I had found that thread. You may merge them if you'd like.

Here are some screens from the laptop. It sounds like there is no way besides a clean install.

Screenshot 1: No MSA signed into the Microsoft Store
    Screenshot 2: MSA signed into Administrator account with no option to switch to local
    Screenshot 3: No MSA linked to Email and Accounts
    Screenshot 4: netplwiz options - no option to reset password (since it is an MSA)
    Screenshot 5: netplwiz properties - shows it is the built in account

Other notes:
    I can load all the UWP apps without error
    If I press forgot password from the login window I am taken to the Cortana reset MSA password experience

Converseallstar95, Jun 20, 2019
  4. cereberus Win User

Microsoft account tied to built-in admin account

Undo Built-in Administrator Account tied to a Microsoft Account

OPs post does not make sense. The built in and normally hidden Administrator account cannot login with an MSA account and does not run uwp apps.

I think OP is confusing the Administrator account with the default Admin account initially setup which can be a local or MS account - the installer tries very hard to get you to use MSA as we all know.

cereberus, Jun 20, 2019
Thema:

Microsoft account tied to built-in admin account

1. Microsoft account tied to built-in admin account - Similar Threads - Microsoft account tied

2. Are Windows 10 keys tied to microsoft accounts?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Are Windows 10 keys tied to microsoft accounts?: A friend bought a windows 10 pro key for a computer that had no SO instaled. After installing he activated the windows 10 copy and introduced and tied it to a microsoft account, as is required (by wich i mean, he did the custom setup for windows 10 pro). Now he has to format...
  3. Built In admin account's SID is blank.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Built In admin account's SID is blank.: Using windows 10, and recently renamed the built in admin account by using the command lusrmgr.msc. After renaming the account i pressed refresh and closed the window. The next time when i run the same command lusrmgr.msc and click on users, I get an error saying that there...
  4. microsoft account and admin account

in Windows 10 Customization
    microsoft account and admin account: hello, my administrative account is synced with with my microsoft account. but i cannot get logged in though i have tried resetting my password. whwenever i try to log in at the startup windows it says the password is in correct even after i have just reset my password....
  5. Lost admin privileges on my account and cannot access built in admin account.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Lost admin privileges on my account and cannot access built in admin account.: Hello!! I have had this issues for a while now and its really starting to grate on me, I have tried EVERYTHING and nothing works. Basically, I somehow lost admin privileges on my account, every time I try and do something that needs an admin and the box comes up that says...
  6. RDP using Windows account tied to Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    RDP using Windows account tied to Microsoft account: I am having a problem using RDP and can't for the life of me figure it out. I have my PC running windows 10 and I use a Microsoft account with a pin to login. I have enabled and configured RDP access on the machine but can't login into it using my account. My Microsoft...
  7. built-in admin account problem

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    built-in admin account problem: i have a clean install of windows 10 pro, before i had a windows 7 and was using the built-in administrator account without problems. now in windows 10 i'm using the built in administrator account but facing problems 1) if i leave the "security settings==>local...
  8. Undo Administrator Account tied to a Microsoft Account

Undo Administrator Account tied to a Microsoft Account: So long story short is I was logged into a local account. I've seen other posts about using the built in admin account but nothing that said anything about not the built in administrator's account but an account that was local and in the administrators group. So anyway I...
  9. Domain admin account as built-in admin account

Domain admin account as built-in admin account: I just upgraded two brand new pc's from Win 7 to Win 10. Computers were already added to the domain in Win 7 and I was logged into the domain administrator account when I did the upgrade to Win 10. Now when I am logged in with the domain administrator account, I can't open...
  10. Undo Built-in Administrator Account tied to a Microsoft Account

Undo Built-in Administrator Account tied to a Microsoft Account: Somehow or another I received a computer to work on in which the build is Administrator account has been tied to a MSA. It is Windows 10 Home so I can't get to more advanced options in lusrmgr. I've tried searching and haven't found anything related to this topic; I have no...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. microsoft account is tied to computer as administrator but i want to change microsoft accounts