Windows 10: Microsoft Accounts confusion and Outlook confusion

Discus and support Microsoft Accounts confusion and Outlook confusion in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; A Account confusion: I had to re-install Windows 10 and Microsoft 365 for the third time as for various reasons my new PC had to be reset to factory... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by wiko1934, May 9, 2020.

1. wiko1934 Win User

Microsoft Accounts confusion and Outlook confusion

A Account confusion:

I had to re-install Windows 10 and Microsoft 365 for the third time as for various reasons my new PC had to be reset to factory settings twice. Having a MS account using my e-mail address call it here #1 at the 3rd install was not accepted. Trying #2 was also rejected so I used #3.

• #3 now shows up on the Win10 opening screen. Trying to change it to just my name so far didn't work.
    • #2 shows up under C:\User\ probably via another entry - as not quite correct thus my error but it was rejected at that stage of setting up Windows and
    • #1 when signing in shows my purchased products and my personal information.

Does that mean I have 3 accounts with MS? And why was my #1 account rejected in the first place when re-installing Windows. Also there is constantly an indication that I should install Microsoft 365, which is installed, This is probably related to this "3-accounts" confusion. How can I fix all this and have just ONE, preferable the one I sign in with?

B Outlook confusion.

I found out the hard way that MS has two different "Outlook" products. One with Win10 and a more capable version with MS 365, the one I like to use. Yet installing Win10 I am forced to open an "Win10 Outlook" email account. Why can I not skip that? I can see the reason for registering but that shouldn't include an opening of a Win10 Outlook email account. Now I have to find out how to delete the one I was forced to open and how to switch to the other "Outlook" which comes with MS 365 so I can set up my existing e-mail accounts - Having the same name for two, albeit similar products only adds to the confusion. Last time a friendly MS employee took over my PC and fixed it. I have no idea what she did to do so nor have I found any guidance. There should be no need for a fix. Win10 customers should not be forced to open a "Win10 outlook" email account. I like and have used Outlook from and Office now Microsoft product since I started using e-mail but I like to use the one which is part of Microsoft 365. Previously used Office 2010, 2013 and 2016. Where can I find a step-by-step instruction how to fix this. Unfortunately I am way up in the 80's and am no longer the neighborhood computer expert I once was called so I need help

:)

wiko1934, May 9, 2020

2. Really confused by Microsoft & Hotmail

I had the Microsoft 4 square logo which I've had all the time plus the one I just set up which said Live but with an outlook logo. So I've deleted the Live with the outlook logo and the Lync installation.

Now working lovely and looks a lot less cluttered on the account screen.

I think my confusion was that the Microsoft account didn't have the calendar and contacts listed so I thought I needed to import & set them up somehow. Didn't realise they were already there.

Brilliant help & advice. Thank you.

Have a good day.

Eileen

EileenMarden, May 9, 2020
  3. alvez Win User
    outlook account config

SO today my friend asked me if i could post this question on the forum:

He wants to configure a outlook account with 1 email, with that outlook account he wants to run the same account in 2 diferent computers he wants the both computer to be connected in network, for example:

• he receives a email and that email is sent to each computer;
    • he deletes a email from one computer and it also deletes on the other;
    • he moves a email to a folder it also moves on the other computer;
    If you guys can help me would be nice!
    Microsoft Accounts confusion and Outlook confusion [​IMG]
    thanks!

alvez, May 9, 2020
  4. Microsoft Accounts confusion and Outlook confusion

confusing with microsoft account

So this is an issue with the Office 365 creating a OneDrive account separate from your Personal one, correct?

It was confusing because in the beginning you said it pertained to everything and not just OneDrive. If this is still true, then tell me what else is affected by this split between your Business and Personal? Your Office Files? Where and how?

Unless you can show me how this split affects anything about Windows and isn't just a Office 365 issue, then I suggest you post again in the correct category, Office 365. If you want I will move this thread there for you, since I am a Moderator.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, May 9, 2020
Thema:

Microsoft Accounts confusion and Outlook confusion

1. Microsoft Accounts confusion and Outlook confusion - Similar Threads - Microsoft Accounts confusion

2. Accounts confusion on Windows, Microsoft, Outlook and my desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accounts confusion on Windows, Microsoft, Outlook and my desktop: I am totally confused over the way Microsoft and Windows sets up and treats Accounts and Logins. There is a very long history of how I got to where I am today, but I need to get this fixed before I proceed and upgrade to Microsoft 365 that is the Office 365 and Windows 11.I...
  3. Accounts confusion on Windows, Microsoft, Outlook and my desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Accounts confusion on Windows, Microsoft, Outlook and my desktop: I am totally confused over the way Microsoft and Windows sets up and treats Accounts and Logins. There is a very long history of how I got to where I am today, but I need to get this fixed before I proceed and upgrade to Microsoft 365 that is the Office 365 and Windows 11.I...
  4. Accounts confusion on Windows, Microsoft, Outlook and my desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Account Confusion

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Account Confusion: I have been given an invitation to use 365 cloud storage in an alternate account to this one.Therefore I am trying to log into a personal ms account I apparently have, other than this 365 one.I enter the email address of the personal account and am shown a message stating...
  6. Account Confusion

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Account Confusion: I have been given an invitation to use 365 cloud storage in an alternate account to this one.Therefore I am trying to log into a personal ms account I apparently have, other than this 365 one.I enter the email address of the personal account and am shown a message stating...
  7. Account Confusion

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. microsoft account confusion

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    microsoft account confusion: when i got my pc my brothers friend sighed they're microsoft account on it and i didnt know that is they're a way to not lose my data on my computer i'm confused someone please help...
  9. Account confusion

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Account confusion: So I tried buying Microsoft Windows 10 addition on the same account I have on my Xbox. The purchase went through however when I go to download it routes me to the Microsoft store which is logged in under a different account and says I have to but the game, which I already...
  10. Microsoft Account Confusion

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Microsoft Account Confusion: When I first setup my PC I used my MS account to login. The account name was an email address from cox.net. However shortly thereafter I changed to a local account. A few months ago I changed the account name to a Gmail address in anticipation of changing my internet provider...