Windows 10: Microsoft actively contributing to Chromium ahead of new Edge browser release

Discus and support Microsoft actively contributing to Chromium ahead of new Edge browser release in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; In late 2018, Microsoft announced it would be giving up on EdgeHTML rendering engine for Windows 10’s default browser Edge to use Chromium’s solutions.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Feb 9, 2019.

1. WinLatest New Member

Microsoft actively contributing to Chromium ahead of new Edge browser release

In late 2018, Microsoft announced it would be giving up on EdgeHTML rendering engine for Windows 10’s default browser Edge to use Chromium’s solutions. Microsoft’s new Chromium-based Edge browser is supposed to come out later this year on Windows 10, 7 and even macOS.

Microsoft is technically building its own browser for Windows using Chromium codes and Blink rendering engine but the interface of new Edge won’t look like Chrome.

Microsoft still has plans to release Chromium-based Edge browser preview builds in early 2019 and it looks the company is now actively contributing to Chromium community. Microsoft Edge’s engineer on Twitter confirmed that the company is actively contributing to the Chromium community.

Of course. We are actively contributing to chromium.

— Marion Daly (@marionpdaly) February 7, 2019

We did a quick search on Chromium Gerrit and discovered that Microsoft engineer has made commits for Chromium. For instance, a commit on Chromium Gerrit by Microsoft’s engineer aims to address a bug where array initialized with the same name of previously declared variable fails on DirectX. This was posted a few days back.

Another commit by Microsoft’s engineer has something to do with upstream local-time related web tests to WPT. Microsoft is also helping the community to support Chromium for Windows 10 on ARM.

On the Google products forum, there is a thread by Microsoft that aims to improve the accessibility features of Chromium.

Microsoft actively contributing to Chromium ahead of new Edge browser release Edge-Chromium.jpg

While Microsoft is contributing to Chromium, the company hasn’t shared an ETA regarding a possible release of the final Chromium-based Edge. The preview builds are expected to come out in early 2019 and release of the final version could happen by end of this year when the fall update for Windows 10 would be finalized.

The post Microsoft actively contributing to Chromium ahead of new Edge browser release appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Feb 9, 2019
  2. f14tomcat Win User
    f14tomcat, Feb 9, 2019
  3. P4-630 Win User
    Microsoft is developing a built-in ad blocker for its Edge browser

"One of the first browser add-ons many people install to improve their online experience is Adblock Plus or something similar. Until recently, Microsoft Edge's lack of support for add-ons put off a lot of would-be users, but reports from Build 2016 suggest that native ad blocking is on its way to the Internet Explorer successor.

Adblock Plus is coming to Edge, but built-in ad blocking would negate the need for such an add-on. A slide shown off and snapped at a Build presentation shows that the next version of Edge, in response to user feedback, will feature ad blocking capabilities. There's no word on delivery timescale, but the upcoming Windows 10 Anniversary Update would seem a likely candidate.

ZDNet's Ed Bott photographed the slide which shows Microsoft's development roadmap built around feedback from testers. Right at the top of the list is reference to plans to create a plugin and extension store for Edge, but it's entry number four that's more intriguing.

"Build ad blocking features into the browser" is listed as a Feature Request from users. But the good news is that it is not only listed as being "Deliverable 4682811", but as "Targeted for the next version".

This will no doubt come as good news for those who have fallen in love with Edge, but it's not something that will be welcomed by the likes of Adblock Plus. It does seem that, particularly in the mobile arena, there is a move to baking ad blocking into the browser so it makes sense that Microsoft is following the trend. But it is the fact that Edge straddles Windows 10 on the desktop and Windows 10 Mobile that makes this a particularly interesting move.

Keep an eye out for Insider builds in the coming weeks as the feature may be just around the corner.
    "

Forget extensions, built-in ad blocking is coming to Microsoft Edge - [UPDATE... no it's not!]

P4-630, Feb 9, 2019
  4. VBJP Win User

Microsoft is building a Chromium-powered web browser

I use Edge as my main browser on home desktop and on all of my windows laptops and tablets. Never had much problems with it on release it was quite barebone with gimmicky features like painting on pages but now its quite feature complete at least for me.
    It's sad that Edge didn't get much traction.
    Moving new browser to chromium rendering engine means few things but mostly it means that Microsoft is giving up on browsers.
    Moving to chromium will cut development cost, as they can stop developing their own edge rendering engine.
    So IMHO motivation behind this move is not to get more people to use New Edge with chromium, but to cut cost on product that didn't get enough market share.

VBJP, Feb 9, 2019
Thema:

1. Microsoft actively contributing to Chromium ahead of new Edge browser release - Similar Threads - Microsoft actively contributing

2. The new Microsoft Edge (Chromium) web browser is here to download

in Windows 10 News
    The new Microsoft Edge (Chromium) web browser is here to download: [ATTACH]Fans of the new Microsoft Edge web browser that is based on the Chromium engine, should rejoice right now because the browser is out of […] This post The new Microsoft Edge (Chromium) web browser is here to download is from TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  3. Regarding contributions to Chromium

in Browsers and Email
    Regarding contributions to Chromium: Microsoft says it made over 1600+ commits last year. I was wondering how does that compare to commits made by google. Anybody has any idea? Would like to know how much Opera and Samsung contribute to chromium project as well. Before Microsoft arrived at the scene, samsung...
  4. Opinion On New Chromium Edge Browser

in Browsers and Email
    Opinion On New Chromium Edge Browser: Hi All, I just thought I'd ask the question for those of us that are actually using the new chromium edge browser, how are you feeling about it by now ? I'm using the latest 'canary' build, at least for me it seems to be steadily improving. I seem to find myself using chrome...
  5. How to reset the new Microsoft Edge Chromium browser

in Windows 10 News
    How to reset the new Microsoft Edge Chromium browser: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]If your new Chromium-based Microsoft Edge browser is not working properly, you may have to Reset the Edge browser. Maybe the browser starts slowly, is slow to respond, hangs, crashes or generally does not work efficiently as it should. In [...] This post How...
  6. Chromium Edge browser?

in Browsers and Email
    Chromium Edge browser?: When will Chromium Edge be rolling out to general users? Will Chromium Edge be preinstalled on future releases of Windows 10? Read several reviews on this new Edge and looks promising. Just don’t want to keep installing Chrome every time I install Windows. So really my...
  7. Microsoft’s new Chromium Edge browser leaked online.

in Browsers and Email
    Microsoft’s new Chromium Edge browser leaked online.: Microsoft’s upcoming Chromium-powered Edge browser has leaked online. Download links for the browser have been posted to file sharing sites and popular beta sharing forums. The leaked version appears to be an early copy of what Microsoft is expected to release in public...
  8. A first look at Microsoft’s new Chromium-powered Edge browser

in Windows 10 News
    A first look at Microsoft’s new Chromium-powered Edge browser: Microsoft is rebuilding its Edge browser on Chromium. The software maker has been testing versions of this browser internally at Microsoft, and now The Verge has secured an exclusive first look at the early work thanks to a source who wishes to remain anonymous. While the...
  9. A first look at Microsoft’s new Chromium-powered Edge browser

in Windows 10 News
    A first look at Microsoft’s new Chromium-powered Edge browser: Microsoft is rebuilding its Edge browser on Chromium. The software maker has been testing versions of this browser internally at Microsoft, and now The Verge has secured an exclusive first look at the early work thanks to a source who wishes to remain anonymous. While the...
  10. A first look at Microsoft’s new Chromium-powered Edge browser

in Browsers and Email

Users found this page by searching for:

1. marion daly microsoft

2. edge chromium release

3. edge chromium when

4. edge with chromium release