Windows 10: Microsoft Ad Choices

Discus and support Microsoft Ad Choices in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Yeah, I thought at first it was a new ad campaign until I went back to a Windows 7 PC and then a Windows 8 and realized there were no ads.... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by orlandotek, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Tony K Win User

Microsoft Ad Choices

Hi there. Not sure what's going on. I just got home and checked this out. I'm going to boot to my 8.1. In the mean time, click on the little icon left of the closeout X on the ad. It's a Google ad. I'll be back.

Microsoft Ad Choices [​IMG]

Tony K, Nov 26, 2015
  2. Tony K Win User

@orlandotek

That last one was in 10 using Edge. I should've checked it out in IE11 when I was there. Anywho, I'm in 8.1 using IE11 and get an ad, but not the same one as shown below. It is a Google ad and the link again leads to the same Google page. I would guess Google owns AdWords, AdSense, and AdWords.

What browser are you using and how are cookies configured?

So far as I can tell this has nothing to do with 10 in this case, but I remain open minded. Having an MS account signing into my devices I know they keep track of my data as I configure in my MS account shown earlier. Also through THEIR cookies they keep track of not only where I surf, but other things like where I am or go via the Location app, my interests I sign up for, etc. e.g. Location may help me to find my lost phone or point me to some restaurant close by while on the road. These are all free services. I know MS is going to sell some of this info/data. I could care less. It's free. I find it handy. Some obviously do not.

Keep in mind Google and a lot of other companies have there cookies to keep track. Then there are super cookies as well.

So far as what you say about the ad shifting things on the page. It does mine as well upon opening the page, but then the main body shifts back to center once it finds I'm using a 27" monitor I presume.

Microsoft Ad Choices [​IMG]

Tony K, Nov 26, 2015
  3. Winuser Win User
    I just tried the site twice with Pale Moon and there was no ads. When I tried it with Edge I got the ads.

Winuser, Nov 26, 2015
  4. Tony K Win User

Microsoft Ad Choices

Interesting. What extensions are you using?

Tony K, Nov 26, 2015
  5. I have to answer in the morning.

Right now I am at work and I have a Windows 7 PC and in Chrome, Firefox and IE 10 I do not get the ads.

It is true now that I think of it I have not tried the website on a Windows 8.1 PC since I installed Windows 10 but I can tell you both of my PC's when they had Windows 8 did not have the ads. I noticed it immediately when I upgraded both to Windows 10.

On my Windows 10 PC, it has whatever version of IE came with..I have not manually changed anything. I get the ads in Edge and Firefox but I have not tried Chrome.

Thanx for telling me about Pale Moon. I will have to try that when I get home.

orlandotek, Nov 26, 2015
  6. Winuser Win User
    I had my extensions turned off in Pale Moon when I tried it

Winuser, Nov 26, 2015
  7. Tony K Win User
    Well that's interesting as all get up and go. Wonder what's different with some browsers vs others in this matter. What about cookie settings in Pale Moon?

Tony K, Nov 26, 2015
  8. Winuser Win User

Microsoft Ad Choices

I haven't changed any cookie settings or at least none that I know of.

Winuser, Nov 27, 2015
  9. dalchina New Member
    Both Pale Moon and Firefox have built-in pop-up blockers.. default is enabled.

dalchina, Nov 29, 2015
  10. Winuser Win User
    When I did a test with Firefox the ad popped up. I tested Pale Moon in safe mode and no ad popped up.

Winuser, Nov 29, 2015
  11. I tried Pale Moon on my main Windows 10 device. Just running it however it installed (no changes)...the Ad Choices popped up on the website in that browser, too.

I now have solved the problem, per se.

I downloaded and installed AdFender which is a third party program that blocks ads system wide. I no longer have the ads ln that website.

I am still confused why I don't get the ads in Windows 7.

orlandotek, Dec 1, 2015
  12. Tony K Win User
    Hi there. Glad you worked it out, but I can't discuss your solution for it's in violation of rule #13. Forum Rules - Windows 10 Forums

Perhaps someone who knows more about browser makeup and web design can answer your question. All in all, we have concluded it's the browser and not the OS. Yes?

Tony K, Dec 1, 2015
  13. groze Win User

Microsoft Ad Choices

Depends on your isp & your country if it violates the isp terms and/or laws.

groze, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Microsoft Ad Choices

1. Microsoft Ad Choices - Similar Threads - Microsoft Choices

2. Why does Microsoft deny me the choice of what updates to install, then pushes an update...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does Microsoft deny me the choice of what updates to install, then pushes an update...: The latest and 1st update of 2024 for Microsoft Windows 10 64 bit is broken. It is difficult to download, and IF it downloads, it won't load. While I don't have technical details, I can tell you that since this aberration was pushed on consumers five days ago, I now...
  3. Why does Microsoft deny me the choice of what updates to install, then pushes an update...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does Microsoft deny me the choice of what updates to install, then pushes an update...: The latest and 1st update of 2024 for Microsoft Windows 10 64 bit is broken. It is difficult to download, and IF it downloads, it won't load. While I don't have technical details, I can tell you that since this aberration was pushed on consumers five days ago, I now...
  4. Why does Microsoft deny me the choice of what updates to install, then pushes an update...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. how to fix Microsoft's Horrible choices

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to fix Microsoft's Horrible choices: idk if this has happened to everyone but when i go to edit a clip in movies and tv now i have to use clip champ, one of the most slowest editing programs madebut in reality it wouldn't be that if i didn't have to manually choose what file type to save it as so i have to re...
  6. how to fix Microsoft's Horrible choices

how to fix Microsoft's Horrible choices: idk if this has happened to everyone but when i go to edit a clip in movies and tv now i have to use clip champ, one of the most slowest editing programs madebut in reality it wouldn't be that if i didn't have to manually choose what file type to save it as so i have to re...
  7. Why has Microsoft left me and many others in a position of no choices as I can't afford to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why has Microsoft left me and many others in a position of no choices as I can't afford to...: Why has Microsoft Windows left me and many others in a position of no choices as I can't afford to buy a new PC and I can't afford to buy a new version of Windows due to the very high cost of living in the UK? I'm disabled and use my Laptop every day but I am now very...
  8. Why has Microsoft left me and many others in a position of no choices as I can't afford to...

Why has Microsoft left me and many others in a position of no choices as I can't afford to...: Why has Microsoft Windows left me and many others in a position of no choices as I can't afford to buy a new PC and I can't afford to buy a new version of Windows due to the very high cost of living in the UK? I'm disabled and use my Laptop every day but I am now very...
  9. Microsoft update catalog website language choice unavaillable

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Microsoft update catalog website language choice unavaillable: Note: my question is specific to "Microsoft Update Catalog Website". No link is offered to change the website language. I have searched for this on Home screen and the next screen after a search. O/S: Windows 10 Pro French, up-to-date....
  10. New Microsoft Edge Browser WU - no choice?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    New Microsoft Edge Browser WU - no choice?: Today on 2 PCs there was an Update to install the new MS Edge browser. Both systems on metered connection settings (soft setting - not registry edit), it downloaded and installed in the background - no warning. Installed successfully on one PC, unsuccessful on the laptop. No...