Windows 10: Microsoft adding more default apps to Windows 11

Discus and support Microsoft adding more default apps to Windows 11 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft released a new Insider build for Windows 11 today and with it come two new applications that will be default apps on Windows 11 going forward... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Mar 10, 2022.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Microsoft adding more default apps to Windows 11

Microsoft released a new Insider build for Windows 11 today and with it come two new applications that will be default apps on Windows 11 going forward on many PCs. The two apps in question are Microsoft Family and Clipchamp.

Microsoft adding more default apps to Windows 11 clipchamp-1.png

Windows default applications are designed to provide functionality out of the box. Common apps such as Notepad for plain text editing, Windows Media Player for media playback, and snip & sketch for screen capturing, add support for common tasks to Windows. Windows users may download and install third-party applications, which often come with improved functionality and better support.

While some default applications bring support for common activities and tasks to Windows PCs right after installation, others may be included for different purposes.

Clipchamp

Microsoft adding more default apps to Windows 11 clipchamp.png

Clipchamp is one of the two new applications that Microsoft integrated in the latest Insider build for Windows 11. Microsoft acquired the service last year and has now integrated it into the operating system.

Clipchamp is a subscription-based video editing service. The app has been published on the Microsoft Store in late 2020, and Windows users may download and install it right now. A Microsoft account is required to use the app and the base version is limited in several regards. All Clipchamp plans support the production of unlimited videos, using local assets, using webcam and screen recording functionalities, and access to all basic editing tools.

The main limitation of the free plan is that exports are limited to a resolution of 480p. Users who want better quality outputs may sign up for the creator or business plans. Creator supports 720p, business 1080p exports. The creator plan is available for $9 per month, the business plan for $19 per month. Basic and creator outputs are watermarked furthermore. Clipchamp supports other features, like the ability to use Azure-powered text-to-speech or integration with online storage services in the paid versions.

Microsoft Family

Microsoft adding more default apps to Windows 11 Windows-11-Build-22572-family-safety-app.png

Microsoft Family is the second app that is added to Windows 11. Unlike Clipchamp, which is added to Home and Pro editions, Microsoft Family is installed only on Home editions by default. Pro users may go to Settings > Accounts > Family to download the app to their systems.

Microsoft Family brings parental controls and family management features to the operating system. Family administrators may use it to set up parental controls, filter "inappropriate apps and games" and set kid-friendly browsing in Edge. The app helps families manage and monitor their children's activity on Windows, Xbox and Android devices.

Closing Words

With each new default app, one has to ask whether it makes sense to integrate it natively in Windows or distribute it in other ways. Microsoft could advertise the Family app in Settings or during searches, instead of integrating it natively. Clipchamp's integration is on another level, as it is a subscription-based service. Critics may say that its integration has more to do with Microsoft attempting to push the service's revenue and not with the delivery of a useful video editor for all users of the platform.

It is easy enough to ignore the apps, or, in the case of Windows 11 Pro, to not install the Family app on the device. Still, these apps do take up storage space and they may also come up in searches.

Now you: what is your take on these two new default apps for Windows?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Microsoft adding more default apps to Windows 11 appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Mar 10, 2022

2. How to set Microsoft Photos App as default

Hello,

We understand the issue you are facing and will assist you.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Navigate to Start>Settings>System.
    • In the left pane, click on Default Apps.
    • In the right pane, click on Choose default apps by file type.
    • Set the default App to open .jpg files and check for status.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Mar 10, 2022
  3. kormath Win User
    Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done Microsoft adding more default apps to Windows 11 :) I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, Mar 10, 2022
  4. btarunr Win User

Microsoft Announces WOWZAPP 2012, Worldwide Hackathon for Windows

Registration has launched for Microsoft Corp.'s WOWZAPP 2012, Worldwide Hackathon for Windows, which will take place Nov. 9–11 in more than 30 locations worldwide. Students and other types of developers across countries such as India, Pakistan, Malaysia, Vietnam, Turkey, Finland, Chile and Greece will work in teams to develop apps that will be published and available for download in the Windows Store.

At the events, students will be provided with the resources they need to build their apps, such as Visual Studio 2012 Express for Windows 8 and a free Windows Store registration code, both available through DreamSpark. In addition, students will be able to test their apps, and developer experts and trainers will be available to answer questions and help participants submit their apps to the Windows Store.

• What: Registration has launched for WOWZAPP 2012, Worldwide Hackathon for Windows.
      Where: In more than 30 locations around the world. For a full list of sites, with more being added each day, visit http://www.microsoft.com/student.
      When: Friday, Nov. 9, 2012, at 5 p.m. to Sunday, Nov. 11, 2012, at 5 p.m. local time.
      Who: Students, developers and entrepreneurs around the world who are interested in developing Windows Store apps using Windows 8.

btarunr, Mar 10, 2022
Thema:

1. Microsoft adding more default apps to Windows 11 - Similar Threads - Microsoft adding more

2. Microsoft Store and default apps not installed in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Store and default apps not installed in Windows 11: I tried the reset microsoft store in apps and features but sadly the app wasn't listed, i tried the wsreset still nothing, updated windows, power shell scripts nothing, windows 11 still has probs like this come on....
  3. Microsoft Store and default apps not installed in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Store and default apps not installed in Windows 11: I tried the reset microsoft store in apps and features but sadly the app wasn't listed, i tried the wsreset still nothing, updated windows, power shell scripts nothing, windows 11 still has probs like this come on....
  4. "More Apps" & "Look for More Apps on this PC" No Longer Available in "Choose default apps...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "More Apps" & "Look for More Apps on this PC" No Longer Available in "Choose default apps...: Hi all,I work at a help desk and user reported that when setting default apps by file type in Settings the option "More apps" & "Look for more apps on this PC" no longer appear when trying to set an application as default. I thought her Windows install was corrupted in some...
  5. "More Apps" & "Look for More Apps on this PC" No Longer Available in "Choose default apps...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "More Apps" & "Look for More Apps on this PC" No Longer Available in "Choose default apps...: Hi all,I work at a help desk and user reported that when setting default apps by file type in Settings the option "More apps" & "Look for more apps on this PC" no longer appear when trying to set an application as default. I thought her Windows install was corrupted in some...
  6. "More Apps" & "Look for More Apps on this PC" No Longer Available in "Choose default apps...

7. Adding a browser to Default Apps

in Windows 10 Customization
    Adding a browser to Default Apps: I just reimaged my computer to Win 10 PRO. Before the reimage I had chosen the newer Ccleaner browser to the default apps but now when I try to switch from Edge to it, it no longer appears as an option., How do I get Ccleaner browser chosen as the default browser?...
  8. Adding programs to the list of Default Apps

in Windows 10 Customization
    Adding programs to the list of Default Apps: I run Windows 10 Home, latest patches. It the settings where I set Default Apps, and I set for example Default Vide player , there appears just a short list of apps. Kodi does not appear on this list, even though it is installed. How do I add applications to this list? I...
  9. Adding more than one track to the Microsoft Photos app

Adding more than one track to the Microsoft Photos app: Am only able to add one track to my slide show, which is over 40 minutes long. I have the done button. Have loaded music on appropriate page, but it only adds the top track and does nothing with the bottom. Advice. This is a new computer purchased in August, Microsoft updates...
  10. Microsoft is testing ads in Windows 10’s default Mail app

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is testing ads in Windows 10’s default Mail app: Microsoft has always been showing useful ads in Windows 10 and the company now seems to advertise third-party apps and services in the default Mail app. Ads in Windows 10 Mail app is not a new thing as a little while ago the company displayed a small ad in the lower left...