Windows 10: Microsoft adds Fast Lane option to Windows Update

Discus and support Microsoft adds Fast Lane option to Windows Update in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft released the latest preview update for Windows 11 version 22H2 a moment ago. These preview updates include the majority of non-security... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Apr 26, 2023.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Microsoft adds Fast Lane option to Windows Update

Microsoft released the latest preview update for Windows 11 version 22H2 a moment ago. These preview updates include the majority of non-security updates of the upcoming month's cumulative update early. Microsoft does this to get early feedback on the fixes.

Windows system administrators may use it for testing, and some early adopters may fix bugs in Windows 11 that they experience. The vast majority of Windows devices should not get anywhere near these updates, which many consider beta releases.

The latest preview update for Windows 11 version 22H2 introduces a new update option, which puts the device into the Fast Lane when it comes to the delivery of updates.

Microsoft's description is vague: "When you turn it on, we will prioritize your device to get the latest non-security updates and enhancements when they are available for your device." The toggle is disabled by default for managed devices according to Microsoft.

Microsoft makes no mention of preview updates. Wil these be installed when system administrators enable the preference? A support article provides additional details on the new feature, but it provides no definitive answer on the question.

Microsoft adds Fast Lane option to Windows Update windows-update-fast-lane.png

Windows 11 users find the new option under Start > Settings > Windows Update. There, they find "Get the latest updates as soon as they're available". The option is turned off by default, but can be turned on directly by administrators, provided that the system is not managed.

The setting has no effect on security updates. These continue to be delivered to all supported Windows devices regardless. Microsoft explains, that users can be sure that they get the latest changes "as soon as they're available", that their devices are "prioritized for future updates", and that users continue to receive security updates just like before. The prioritization is not explained by Microsoft, and it is unclear what is meant by that.

The support page has a FAQ section, but it fails to answer these two questions. Microsoft reveals that Active Hours continue to be honored, and that administrators may turn off the toggle at any time.

Closing Words

There is not enough information to fully understand how the new feature works and how it differs from Windows 11's existing capabilities to install updates. If the setting pushes preview updates and feature updates directly to Windows 11 devices, it would provide a reason to enable it for some users. If it focuses on non-security updates that are not previews, it would not be all that useful, unless Microsoft would push updates and fixes to these devices that it would not make available regularly.

Recommendation: keep toggled off until Microsoft provides an explanation on what the feature actually does.

Now You: what is your take on the new Fast Lane feature?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Microsoft adds Fast Lane option to Windows Update appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Apr 26, 2023

2. Gateway Device Fast Lane

After updating Windows 10 I cant locate Gateway Device Fast Lane. How do I get it back?

DebbieMurphy1, Apr 26, 2023
  3. PamelaJ. Win User
    Acer/Gateway Device Fast Lane

I updated Windows 10 and cannot find Gateway Device Fast Lane, installed on my laptop. Could you help me to get it back?

PamelaJ., Apr 26, 2023
  4. Microsoft adds Fast Lane option to Windows Update

Acer/Gateway Device Fast Lane

Hello Pamela, hope this message finds you well.

Have you updated your laptop using Windows Update or a clean install? If it is Windows Update, Acer/Gateway Device Fast Lane must be available. Use this link to search this software

https://in.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/...

If you are still cannot find it, go to Acer or Gateway's support site and download it again.

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised
    on the site before you decide to download and install it.

____

Steve

Steve Merik, Apr 26, 2023
Thema:

Microsoft adds Fast Lane option to Windows Update

1. Microsoft adds Fast Lane option to Windows Update - Similar Threads - Microsoft adds Fast

2. When opening links in Microsoft Edge it adds '--fast-start'

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When opening links in Microsoft Edge it adds '--fast-start': Hello,When users at my organization try to open links in Edge, it seems to be tacking on "--fast-start%20--single-argument%20https" to the front of the URL. This causes the "Hmmm... can't reach this page" to be displayed. It does not happen if I change their default browser...
  3. When opening links in Microsoft Edge it adds '--fast-start'

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When opening links in Microsoft Edge it adds '--fast-start': Hello,When users at my organization try to open links in Edge, it seems to be tacking on "--fast-start%20--single-argument%20https" to the front of the URL. This causes the "Hmmm... can't reach this page" to be displayed. It does not happen if I change their default browser...
  4. When opening links in Microsoft Edge it adds '--fast-start'

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Fast boot option

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Fast boot option: How do I turn on quick boot in my bios? I tried the following already and the option to enable fast boot never appeared. I pressed F2 during startup, the bois opened then I went to the advanced menu then tried to get into boot and there was no option to click on boot and...
  6. Where is the Fast Startup option in Windows 20H2 update?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Where is the Fast Startup option in Windows 20H2 update?: It is completely missing submitted by /u/tonyromero [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k9wf9w/where_is_the_fast_startup_option_in_windows_20h2/
  7. Windows Insider Preview Build Fast Lane 12/12/18

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Insider Preview Build Fast Lane 12/12/18: I downloaded the Windows Preview Build fast lane this morning Dec 22, 2018 to my Toshiba Satellite laptop with Intel i3 cpu and 6gb memory. My computer was fine until the install required a restart. I restarted my computer and it is stuck at the logo screen. I cut off the...
  8. Gateway Device Fast Lane

in Windows 10 Customization
    Gateway Device Fast Lane: After updating Windows 10 I cant locate Gateway Device Fast Lane. How do I get it back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_taskbar/gateway-device-fast-lane/a81a79e6-9907-400e-9568-2c622d31b424
  9. Stuck in slow lane

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Stuck in slow lane: If I go to Windows Update and click on 'Advanced Options' it shows that I am in the 'Slow' lane. I can change this to 'Fast', but if I leave this page and then return it just show 'Slow' again. I don't get build 10130 There is a line in red at the top which reads 'Some...
  10. Microsoft issues fix for Lumia phones bricked by Windows 10 Fast lane

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft issues fix for Lumia phones bricked by Windows 10 Fast lane: Microsoft has released a possible fix for low-end Lumia smartphones that have been bricked after installing an early Windows 10 preview build. It seems a shortage of memory in the Lumia 520 and Lumia 525 is behind the bricking of some of the units, after owners installed a...