Windows 10: Microsoft admits Windows 10 multitasking feature broken by update

Discus and support Microsoft admits Windows 10 multitasking feature broken by update in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Windows 10 October 2020 Update, which is just a service pack style upgrade, was released in October. This update is a minor release, but it comes with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Nov 20, 2020.

1. WinLatest New Member

Microsoft admits Windows 10 multitasking feature broken by update

Windows 10 October 2020 Update, which is just a service pack style upgrade, was released in October. This update is a minor release, but it comes with two new features — theme-aware Start Menu and new Alt-Tab experience.

As you may know already, Alt+Tab is a popular multitasking keyboard shortcut that has been in Windows since Windows 2.0 and it was last updated in version 20H2 with a new feature.

Windows 10 20H2 modifies the way Alt-Tabbing works in relation to Microsoft Edge by allowing browser tabs to appear as a separate app window in the Alt-Tab screen.

Alt+Tab lets you switch between open windows on Windows 10 and you can also navigate between apps using the arrow keys. With Windows 10 October 2020 Update, Microsoft said it has improved the multitasking experience by including Microsoft Edge tabs in the Alt-Tab interface.

Microsoft admits Windows 10 multitasking feature broken by update Windows-10-Alt-Tab.jpg

Microsoft believes that standard Alt+Tab is pretty basic and Edge tabs inclusion could allow you to navigate through your running tasks more easily.

Unfortunately, Alt+Tab interface is now broken for some users after they applied the Windows 10 October 2020 Update. According to reports and our own testing, a bug in the update could result in your Alt+Tab order changing unexpectedly and it will open the wrong window when you try to switch between apps.

For example, if you have three app windows open (A, B, C) and you’re trying to switch to the first window ‘A’, Alt-Tab interface will instead focus on the window after the intended one. When this happens, it can be observed that the selection on the Alt + Tab menu is not on the entry ‘A’, as it should be, but on the second entry ‘B’.

Several users confirmed the issue in the Feedback Hub and it looks like Microsoft is aware of the reports.

“Alt-Tab has started acting very inconsistent. For example, if I am quickly switching between windows A and B using Alt-Tab, it will be fine 9 out of 10 times. Then on the 10th time I’m using Alt-Tab, it will randomly switch to window C which I haven’t opened in a while,” one user noted in the Feedback Hub.

In one Feedback Hub post, Microsoft said that they’re investigating the reports and they’ve already fixed the issue in preview builds.

It’s likely that Microsoft will fix the Alt-Tab problems in a future update to Windows 10 October 2020 Update, but it may not arrive this year as the tech giant plans to release fewer updates until January.

The post Microsoft admits Windows 10 multitasking feature broken by update appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Nov 20, 2020
  2. desennium Win User

Microsoft Windows 10 Fall Creators Update Available Today

Microsoft released Windows 10, code named "Threshold 1," a little over two years ago. As of May of this year, there were approximately 500 million Windows 10 devices worldwide. Originally, Microsoft predicted that Windows 10 would be installed on 1 billion devices by mid-2018. When released, Windows 10 gained huge adoption from those running Windows 7 from the "free-upgrade program" which lasted one year.

Since then however, installations have slowly declined and in July of last year, Microsoft admitted that they would miss their projected goal of 1 billion devices. Since its release, Windows 10 has had three major update releases with "Threshold 2," in 2015, "Anniversary Update," in 2016, "Creators Update" in April of this year and today marks the release of Microsoft's fourth major feature update to its operating system, dubbed "Fall Creators Update," version 1709.

Today's update brings about many new features including:
    • OneDrive On demand (formerly known as OneDrive Placeholders introduced in WIndows 8.1) a way to keep track of your files stored on OneDrive from any of your devices without having to store them locally.
    • 'My People' Hub Integration makes it easier to stay in touch with people right from the taskbar
    • Story Remix gives you to the tools and the power to create content from your photos and videos to make memorable stories
    • Windows Mixed Reality brings a new generation of augmented reality where the real world meets the digital one.
    • Fluent Design System is Microsoft's new design that will take place over the next few years with each feature update. Microsoft intends to make all products and devices one user interface and it begins with the Fall Creators Update.

Furthermore, Microsoft has made changes and brings privacy enhancements with today's update. The Fall Creators Update gives users more control of what information is being collected. Users will be greeted with the Privacy Statement on the setup process to get an idea of what information that entails. Microsoft is also adding two game anti-cheating systems, called TruePlay and Game Monitor, to address the problem of cheating similarly to what VAC (Valve Anti-Cheating) does for Steam.

The Fall Creators Update is available today but will be rolled out in stages as usual. Newer devices most compatible with Windows 10 will receive the update first. The rollout will take several months before everyone is updated. However, if you don't see today's update you can use the Update Assistant Tool to manually update now, here.

Source: Microsoft

desennium, Nov 20, 2020
  3. MrGenius Win User
    Microsoft to make Windows 10 updates mandatory

Well, at the moment at least, you can choose to defer upgrades. Under Settings > Windows Updates > Advanced options you need to check the box labeled "Defer upgrades". What does that do? Good question. The answer I've found might illuminate it to a degree.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/defer-upgrades-in-windows-10

I hear this only applies to Pro and Enterprise editions. But I can't verify that.

MrGenius, Nov 20, 2020
  4. P4-630 Win User

Microsoft testing blue light reduction feature for Windows 10

"Microsoft is slowly revealing new features in its next major update to Windows 10, and it appears blue light reduction feature might be a future addition. The software giant released a new build of Windows 10 testers yesterday with very few visible additions, but Windows enthusiasts have already started picking it apart for clues on new features. Twitter user "Core"has discovered references to a "BlueLightReduction" setting deep within the next major update to Windows 10 (codenamed Redstone 2). It appears to be a setting that will be toggled from the Action Center (notification center) in the operating system.

F.lux has been the most popular option for Windows users looking to reduce blue light in the evenings, but Microsoft's own native toggle will bring this feature to every Windows 10 user. Apple has also integrated a similar feature in iOS 9, but it hasn't announced any plans to bring blue light reduction to Mac OS yet. Microsoft only appears to be testing the feature right now, so there's no guarantee it will ship in the update due early next year. If Microsoft does implement it fully then it will presumably be available on the mobile version of Windows 10, too.
    "

Microsoft testing blue light reduction feature for Windows 10

P4-630, Nov 20, 2020
Thema:

1. Microsoft admits Windows 10 multitasking feature broken by update - Similar Threads - Microsoft admits multitasking

2. Windows 10 Photos app update (broken features?)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Photos app update (broken features?): I edit video for my church. I have developed a workflow that I carry out every month or so. It goes: Right-click an .mp4, choose Open with... >Movies & TV. In the window that opens, click the pencil in the bottom-right toolbar. Choose Edit in Photos > Trim. In the window...
  3. Will Microsoft admit the truth?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Will Microsoft admit the truth?: This post and the fact that it is locked is proof the problem is not fixable, except by purchasing another processor, if possible, or a new computer. Windows 11 is coming and with the new security protocols, cloud features, browser implementations, etc. our old systems will...
  4. Latest feature update is broken

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Latest feature update is broken: Somehow the update gives a MAJOR slowdown on older computers. It brings the GPU up to 100% usage, and the same applies to SSD usage. For some reason I've found the problem on my GF's computer that has Razer Game Service that made the computer spike up in usage. Turns out the...
  5. Windows 10 is getting new multitasking features with Sun Valley update

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 is getting new multitasking features with Sun Valley update: With Windows 10 Sun Valley update, there will be even more ways to multitask with multiple windows, especially if you’ve multiple monitor setup. It also appears that there’ll be at least one new multitasking feature for the Chromium-based Microsoft Edge. The new multitasking...
  6. Microsoft admits there’s a new problem with Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft admits there’s a new problem with Windows 10: Microsoft has acknowledged that some of Windows 10’s most recent updates are causing new problems for some PCs rather than resolving the underlying bugs. According to the company, Windows 10 KB4571756, which is supposed to be a cumulative update with security patches, is...
  7. Multitasking improvements in Windows 10 and Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 News
    Multitasking improvements in Windows 10 and Microsoft Edge: Web browsing doesn’t happen in isolation, and users frequently multitask between their web browser and other apps using the Taskbar and Alt + Tab. Traditionally, these surfaces have been almost exclusively focused on apps, forcing users to take additional steps to...
  8. Microsoft admits Windows 10 update triggers forced reboots

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft admits Windows 10 update triggers forced reboots: Windows 10 is once again experiencing serious issues due to June 2020 batch of cumulative updates. Microsoft says KB4557957 for version 2004 and KB4560960 for version 1909/1903, which were released on ‘Patch Tuesday’ are plagued with a critical issue that will trigger forced...
  9. Microsoft Family Features are broken.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Microsoft Family Features are broken.: So today i got my dad to allows access into Google chrome. Later on, i tried access google chrome, but it said ask a parent. I think it is broken. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-family-features-are-broken/e511030d-b746-4bda-99fc-40f9bce57050"
  10. Microsoft admits updates are freezing computers - again

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft admits updates are freezing computers - again: Microsoft Admits Updates Are Freezing Windows 10 Computers -- Again 132991