Windows 10: Microsoft: Ads in Mail client were experimental only

Discus and support Microsoft: Ads in Mail client were experimental only in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Advertisement in email clients has always been a controversial topic. Microsoft pushed an update to the default Mail application on Windows 10 for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Nov 17, 2018.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Microsoft: Ads in Mail client were experimental only

Advertisement in email clients has always been a controversial topic. Microsoft pushed an update to the default Mail application on Windows 10 for Insiders recently that brought ads to the client; a feature that the company claimed later was never "intended to be tested broadly".

The Mail application of Windows 10, and Windows 8 as well, is a basic program to manage email accounts on the desktop.

It is not really suitable for users who use email a lot, but works fine if mail is used occasionally only. Other email clients for the desktop, be it the open source program Thunderbird or Microsoft's own Outlook application, provide far better functionality.

Twitter user mehedi noticed yesterday that Microsoft started to display advertisement in the default Mail client for Windows 10.

Microsoft: Ads in Mail client were experimental only mail-app-ads.jpg

It turned out that some users were seeing these ads for a period of weeks or even months. A support page, which Microsoft pulled in the meantime, stated that the company was running an advertisement experiment in the countries Brazil, Canada, Australia, and India.

Bleeping Computer ran a story in July 2018 about inline advertisement in the Mail client.

Mayank Parmar noted back then that it appeared that Microsoft was running an A/B test as he could not replicate it back then on test systems (not counting the obligatory "Get premium Outlook features" ad that Microsoft displays in the Mail application.

Microsoft's Frank X. Shaw, Microsoft Corporate vice president, communications, replied to the tweet stating that the feature was experimental and that it is being turned off.

This was an experimental feature that was never intended to be tested broadly and it is being turned off.

Microsoft introduced advertisement early on in the lifecycle of the operating system. Windows 10's Start Menu displayed ads -- suggestions as Microsoft called them -- from the very get-go, and that expanded to the Lockscreen, Share feature, and File Explorer over the years.

While it is possible to disable Windows 10 ads, some users wondered whether it was right to display advertisement in an operating system that was not free.

Advertisement is typically only displayed in free products and not in paid ones. Gmail users get advertisement but use of the software is free; this is not true for Windows 10, however, as it is not available as a free product.

Closing Words

The placement of advertisement is controversial enough but the placement of ads in commercial products is even more controversial than that. Customers paid for Windows 10 and it seems likely that most are displeased when advertisement is displayed.

Now You: What is your take on this?

Ghacks needs you. You can find out how to support us here or support the site directly by becoming a Patreon. Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Microsoft: Ads in Mail client were experimental only appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Nov 17, 2018
  2. DavidG Win User

Can the Microsoft Mail App be added to Startup?

I see Calendar and People listed separately in Privacy - background apps but not Mail. In Windows 8.1 all three of these were one app in the Windows store.

So I just looked at my Windows 10 store and typed in MAIL in the search box. Mail & Calendar are listed as the same app. I found some links a the bottom of the page that might interest everyone.

Microsoft: Ads in Mail client were experimental only [​IMG]

Microsoft: Ads in Mail client were experimental only [​IMG]

DavidG, Nov 17, 2018
  3. Default Mail Client

I had to Dban my desktop last week after a friend was on it while I was out of town. Now--when I use my main e-mail, and try to send a e-mail, I get this message --this can not be completed because the default mail client is not properly installed. Can anybody help or explain this to me ?? It's a new 1 on me !!

fsufan0025, Nov 17, 2018
  4. 95Viper Win User

Default Mail Client

Scenario 1

Possibly, whatever he/she used to access their email, that client asked if they wanted to make it default and you are not setup in that to send or receive email.

Look through your email client settings and make your default or, if, you are using Windows.
    See here:
    Change the default e‑mail program
    and
    How To Change Default Email Client

Or, you can try to re-install the email client/app.

Scenario 2

You are saying you had to Dban your desktop; I will assume you wiped your drive and re-installed the O/S and apps. If this is the case you will need to setup your email, again... make sure you have used the proper settings for your email provider (incoming and out going server addresses, ports, pop3, SMTP, SSL and security settings, passwords, log-ins, etc.).
    If you overlook one little item, you may receive (or not) mail, but the server may reject your sent mail.

Goto the providers site and look instructions on setting up different email apps.

It would have helped, if, you would have stated what O/S, email client, and provider you are asking about.

95Viper, Nov 17, 2018
Thema:

1. Microsoft: Ads in Mail client were experimental only - Similar Threads - Microsoft Ads Mail

2. Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot fulfill...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot fulfill...: I've been finding a number of postings for this problem, enough to make me feel the issue is more wide-spread than one might have thought.Client uses a management application to track billable time and to send invoices to clients. Often no, not always, when she tried to send...
  3. Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot fulfill the...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot fulfill the...: I been recently getting this error message randomly and I don't know what it means anybody can help with it? submitted by /u/AndyAcc [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/iunrjb/either_there_is_no_default_mail_client_or_the/
  4. Mail client selection.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Mail client selection.: Hi, I still use Word 2007 as it does everything I need, however when I want to "send" a document to someone, it always starts up Windows Live Mail, however I don't use that, I just use the "Mail" app in Win 10. I have looked at the registry under...
  5. Mail client

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Mail client: After windows10 update on 4 aug 2020 I am getting the following message on start up: Either their is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot fulfill the message request. Please run outlook and set as default client. I went to outlook2019, file, general,...
  6. Microsoft Windows 10 Mail Client will not save contacts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Windows 10 Mail Client will not save contacts: The Windows 10 Mail client on my desktop does not give me the option to save contacts and I do not know why. Below is a screen shot of what happens when I left click on a email sender in Mail on my desktop. Note that the top option is to "Send email" to the contact:...
  7. Problems with Mail Client

Problems with Mail Client: I have been using several email accounts via my windows 10 mail server without any issues. Today however I am unable to send emails from my hotmail account. I can type and send the emails but I get the following into my inbox. Delivery has failed to these recipients...
  8. Adding gmail accounts to Microsoft mail

Adding gmail accounts to Microsoft mail: Hi, After updating to Win Pro 10 64 v.1809 build 17763.316 (from v. 1803), I could not sync with my gmail accounts anymore. I deleted them. I am now unable to add them back. I tried multiple solutions - including the one given in august 2018 on this forum - but I am still...
  9. Windows Mail Client

Windows Mail Client: I cannot successfully change my email password in Windows 10 to match that of my email platform provider. How do I do that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-outlook_mail/windows-mail-client/cdf27461-50da-4fc7-9188-943304bdacda
  10. Can the Microsoft Mail App be added to Startup?

in Browsers and Email
    Can the Microsoft Mail App be added to Startup?: I am not even sure the mail app is not already part of startup. It is not listed in my Task Manager Startup tab. Because I am completely ignorant on this subject any replies are appreciated. *Confused 25329