Windows 10: Microsoft ads Office Web Apps advertisement to Windows 10 PCs

Discus and support Microsoft ads Office Web Apps advertisement to Windows 10 PCs in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; If you run a recent Windows 10 PC, you may have noticed new listings for Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel, or Word in the Start Menu or the list of installed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Oct 18, 2020.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Microsoft ads Office Web Apps advertisement to Windows 10 PCs

If you run a recent Windows 10 PC, you may have noticed new listings for Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel, or Word in the Start Menu or the list of installed programs, even if you did not install the programs. It happened yesterday on a stable Windows 10 PC running Windows 10 version 2004, and reports are all over the Internet that many users are affected.

One of the main problems is that Microsoft has not mentioned this at all; it did not make an announcement, not on the company's Windows Experience blog nor anywhere else to my knowledge. Users who notice the applications -- they are web links in fact but more about that later -- may wonder whether they are genuine or malicious in nature, and how on earth they landed on the system in first place.

Microsoft ads Office Web Apps advertisement to Windows 10 PCs office-links-installed-windows-10.png

When you analyze the installed programs, you will notice several things:

• The publisher is not Microsoft Corporation, but "Outlook", "PowerPoint", "Excel", and "Word".
    • All apps are listed with version 1.0, without size information, and with the same installation date.
    • Each app has a single dot as an icon.
    • All of them can be uninstalled.
    • When you check the file properties, you will notice that they are web shortcuts that use Microsoft Edge, e.g. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\msedge_proxy.exe" --profile-directory=Default --app-id=bjhmmnoficofgoiacjaajpkfndojknpb --app-url=https://outlook.com/

When you try to remove one of the listed programs, you will get a "remove from Microsoft Edge" prompt; this confirms that these apps are linked to Microsoft Edge.

Microsoft ads Office Web Apps advertisement to Windows 10 PCs remove-from-microsoft-edge.png

A quick check of the installed apps section of Microsoft Edge confirms that these applications are listed in the browser, and can be removed from the browser with a click on the x-icon on the page.

Microsoft ads Office Web Apps advertisement to Windows 10 PCs remove-apps-edge.png

The shortcuts open Office Web Apps in a chromeless Microsoft Edge window on the desktop when executed. They appear genuine and not malicious.

Users who don't want these can uninstall the PWA apps from within Edge or using the Settings app / Programs Control Panel applet.

Closing Words

Adding programs to a user's device without consent or information is always problematic. While it has become second nature for Microsoft to add or remove apps from the operating system when feature updates get installed, adding these unrelated to any update installation is a new low for the company, especially when it is done without any communication on the company's part.

Users are left with finding out what happened and if the apps are genuine or not. While they are genuine, it is nothing more than pushing advertisement for the company's Office Web Apps to user systems.

It is easy enough to remove them again, but what is keeping Microsoft from re-adding them or adding other PWA links? Right, nothing at all.

Now You: What is your take on this?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Microsoft ads Office Web Apps advertisement to Windows 10 PCs appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Oct 18, 2020
  2. Brink Win User

Microsoft was putting ads in Windows 10 Mail app for non-Office 365

Read more: Microsoft is putting ads in its Windows 10 Mail app for non-Office 365 users - Neowin

See also:

Brink, Oct 18, 2020
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Office 2019

Only supported on Win10. Sorry, 8.1 users, only 4 years old, gotta go.

Microsoft Office 2019 will only work on Windows 10

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com...-to-office-and-windows-servicing-and-support/

Spoiler Office 2019
    Last year at Ignite, we announced Office 2019 – the next perpetual version of Office that includes apps (including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook, and Skype for Business) and servers (including Exchange, SharePoint, and Skype for Business). Today we’re pleased to share the following updates:

• Office 2019 will ship in H2 of 2018. Previews of the new apps and servers will start shipping in the second quarter of 2018.
    • Office 2019 apps will be supported on:
      • Any supported Windows 10 SAC release
      • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2018
      • The next LTSC release of Windows Server
    • The Office 2019 client apps will be released with Click-to-Run installation technology only. We will not provide MSI as a deployment methodology for Office 2019 clients. We will continue to provide MSI for Office Server products.

Ahhzz, Oct 18, 2020
  4. Microsoft ads Office Web Apps advertisement to Windows 10 PCs

Microsoft Selects Dolby Audio for Windows 10

it would've been great if microsoft added HEVC decoders, LAV filters along with other codecs with Windows 10, and developing WMP to be better than VLC, KMPlayer and such sorts of media players.

Nevertheless, this is good step for microsoft, by far.

Analog_Interface, Oct 18, 2020
Thema:

Microsoft ads Office Web Apps advertisement to Windows 10 PCs

1. Microsoft ads Office Web Apps advertisement to Windows 10 PCs - Similar Threads - Microsoft ads Office

2. Racist advertising in Microsoft Office Solitaire program

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Racist advertising in Microsoft Office Solitaire program: This is not a functionality problem, it is a content problem. I was playing the Solitaire program from Windows 10 on my work computer, and an advertisement popped up in the middle of the game that horrified me. It was a blatantly racist ad saying that black people want to...
  3. Racist advertising in Microsoft Office Solitaire program

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Racist advertising in Microsoft Office Solitaire program: This is not a functionality problem, it is a content problem. I was playing the Solitaire program from Windows 10 on my work computer, and an advertisement popped up in the middle of the game that horrified me. It was a blatantly racist ad saying that black people want to...
  4. Microsoft is working on web-first Windows 10 OS for low-cost PCs

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is working on web-first Windows 10 OS for low-cost PCs: We’ve long heard rumours of Microsoft making a new lightweight version of Windows codenamed “Windows Lite”. Last year, Microsoft finally announced Windows 10X, a modular and lightweight operating for the dual-screen hardware with the ability to run Win32 apps in a virtualized...
  5. Bing Ads is now Microsoft Advertising

in Windows 10 News
    Bing Ads is now Microsoft Advertising: Bing Ads name change — The evolution of Microsoft Advertising These days, marketers have more power than ever to identify and reach customers. With data, AI and automation at your fingertips, it’s no longer just reaching more people that matters to growing your brand. It’s...
  6. Microsoft was putting ads in Windows 10 Mail app for non-Office 365

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft was putting ads in Windows 10 Mail app for non-Office 365: The Windows 10 Mail app is once again the testing ground for controversial new features, and this time the app is showing ads. As spotted by Aggiornamenti Lumia, the advertisements are only showing up for some users, and they're only there for those that don't subscribe to...
  7. Forbes reports Microsoft plans on adding Advertising to Microsoft Mail

Forbes reports Microsoft plans on adding Advertising to Microsoft Mail: Given all the issues Microsoft has caused with current updates, don't you think your customers deserve some respect? We have chosen to put up with your problems because you deliver a relatively good product without the advertising hype we have to put up with on other...
  8. Microsoft is putting ads in its Windows 10 Mail app for non-Office 365

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is putting ads in its Windows 10 Mail app for non-Office 365: The Windows 10 Mail app is once again the testing ground for controversial new features, and this time the app is showing ads. As spotted by Aggiornamenti Lumia, the advertisements are only showing up for some users, and they're only there for those that don't subscribe to...
  9. Adding an Office 365 account to Windows 10 apps

Adding an Office 365 account to Windows 10 apps: None of the Windows 10 apps on my laptop (Dell Inspiron 5567) will integrate nicely with my Office 365 account. I.e. when I try to sign into any of these apps using my Office 365 account details, it does not work. Is this because I am not logged into the laptop itself using...
  10. Enable or Disable Advertising ID for Relevant Ads in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Advertising ID for Relevant Ads in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Advertising ID for Relevant Ads in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Let Apps use Advertising ID for Relevant Ads in Windows 10 In addition to the ads you see in Windows 10, Microsoft also assigns you a unique identification number to track...