Windows 10: Microsoft: An Open Source Windows Is ‘Definitely Possible’

Discus and support Microsoft: An Open Source Windows Is ‘Definitely Possible’ in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft’s software empire rests on Windows, the computer operating system that runs so many of the world’s desktop PCs, laptops, phones, and servers.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Microsoft: An Open Source Windows Is ‘Definitely Possible’

Read more: Microsoft: An Open Source Windows Is | WIRED

:)

Brink, Apr 2, 2015
  2. JimWynne Win User

Windows 10 And Google Play Store

You might be thinking of PS4 and XBox emulators, where the reverse-engineering is definitely illegal. Reverse-engineering of open source code is legal by definition.

JimWynne, Apr 2, 2015
  3. Future of Windows before 2020 and 2025

The whole "Windows as a Service" idea is so confusing.

According to the Lifecycle Fact Sheet, Windows 10 Mainstream Support ends in 2020 (security updates only after that) and Extended Support ends in 2025. After that, Windows 10 is dead.

So, I am wondering if Microsoft is developing an "open-source" version of the Windows platform that will succeed Windows 10 before the Mainstream Support lifecycle ends. If this is possible, will the open-source version be just the core components of the
    platform? Will this new platform be the upstream for the proprietary versions of Windows? Will the "Home" edition of the proprietary Windows be released as "freeware", while the "Pro" and "Enterprise" versions remain "commercial"? Could the open-source version
    have a new open-source .NET Framework? Is "Command Prompt" dead, and will PowerShell replace it?

I just want to be prepared for whatever comes.

thebear424, Apr 2, 2015
  4. Lebon14 Win User

I would so LOVE that to happen but chances are slim to none.

Lebon14, Apr 3, 2015
  5. BunnyJ New Member
    That would be nice.. not sure if it will occur or not.

BunnyJ, Apr 3, 2015
  6. LEE
    Lee Win User
    Hope not. . .look at Linux. . .do I need to say more. . .*really

7. BunnyJ New Member
    AH.. YES.. Linux is a nightmare when it comes to that.. too many distros for it's own good I thinks. While Open Source is good for some things it can be bad for others, IMO.

Python is open source but the people who contribute don't try to go there own way with a separate version,

BunnyJ, Apr 3, 2015
  8. swarfega Win User

Just can't see this happening.

swarfega, Apr 3, 2015
  9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Linux AND Windows together --what a great Idea -- but as Humans I don't think we've really got rid of all the egos etc that'll make it happen any time soon. Just take Political Parties (not a Political Post please note) -- you often get a load of more "Left wing" parties wanting to get rid of say relatively right wing parties and once they gain power they split up into zillions of factions all fighting viscously over often quite trivial differences.

Even Linux has its share of disagreements in the Open Source Community. The Philosophical idea is GREAT - a decent OS worked on by all sorts of people -- but are we ready as Humans capable of taking the next step. Just read the Daily papers -- 4 Great philosophies or "Faiths" - Muslim, Christian, Buddhism and Judaism essentially preach the same ideals but you don't need to read any further to see of the various conflicts going around on Planet Earth to understand the problems of getting people who even subscribe to the same "faith" to work together.

I'd still love it to happen though.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 3, 2015
  10. NickTh Win User
    What Windows would be without the support of manufacturers and third-party drivers ? Just look at that.
    I don't think Windows OS will go open source, albeit MS has many repositories in Github. That would be a miracle.
    Open Source offers security, privacy and stability and the reason is simple, too many eyes on the code and not just the paid developers of the company. But because Open Source demands an open source license, this just could not happen. Too many companies have licensed Windows since they was born. Maybe a modified open-source like license in less utopian.

NickTh, Apr 3, 2015
  11. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

You could still have OPEN SOURCE with application interfaces to various bits (API's) so what needed to be proprietary -- say hardware drivers or security based code could be embedded in the API.

The kernel would also need some sort of status key so that only "authorised" callers would be able to access the relevant API.

IBM did something like this years ago (donkey's years ago -- circa 1970) with MVS mainframe OS. They had a PSW status word which enabled "Supervisor" or "Application" state. To change this you had to issue a "Supervisor call (SVC) which would set up the relevant parameters etc. If an Application Program (rather than a "System task") made the SVC call it would be rejected if it wasn't "Authorised".

Too complex to explain here - but IBM MVS probably was the least hacked system in history.

Cheers

jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 3, 2015
  12. Open Source, seems to work well for Mozilla, in their Firefox Browser.

I love their "Sync" feature, where I can install Firefox on any of my 10+ PC's, then run "Sync" and have all my settings, bookmarks, etc. installed for me, and it's all FREE. Good stuff for FREE is so hard to find anymore. *Smile

I know first hand, what's been said about Linux. Too many versions!!! I just tried "Tails" and their browser seems to work, but their email program totally wets the bed!!!

Guess I'll stick to good ol' Winders.

Cheers Mates,
    *Cool

TechnoMage, Apr 3, 2015
  13. Microsoft: An Open Source Windows Is ‘Definitely Possible’

Sounds like an expansion of the IoT. They are going to release a free version of Windows 10 for the Raspberry Pi model 2B. An alternative to the LINUX embedded that runs on it now. It's still rumors as to what this version of 10 will look like GUI wise, or whether it will have one. One rumor is it will be a command line interface only. Time will tell. This sounds like more of the same to me. Command line only is about as minimalist as it gets in my books. I'm not saying that's what this will be, just talking out loud as it were. Isn't it interesting how they can say so much and yet say so little.
    Microsoft: An Open Source Windows Is ‘Definitely Possible’ [​IMG]

alphanumeric, Apr 3, 2015
  14. Wynona Win User
    Wynona, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Microsoft: An Open Source Windows Is ‘Definitely Possible’ - Similar Threads - Microsoft Open Source

2. Open Source on Microsoft Store

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Open Source on Microsoft Store: How can I publish a free open-source project on Microsoft Store? It's a Win32 Windows desktop app using WinUI 3 and Windows SDK API. What sort of developer account do I need?...
  3. Open Source on Microsoft Store

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Open Source on Microsoft Store: How can I publish a free open-source project on Microsoft Store? It's a Win32 Windows desktop app using WinUI 3 and Windows SDK API. What sort of developer account do I need?...
  4. Microsoft Open-Sources GW-BASIC on GitHub

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Open-Sources GW-BASIC on GitHub: We are excited to announce the open-sourcing of Microsoft GW-BASIC on GitHub! Yes, seriously Why? Since re-open-sourcing MS-DOS 1.25 & 2.0 on GitHub last year, we’ve received numerous requests to also open-source Microsoft BASIC. Well, here we are! The...
  5. Microsoft PowerToys rebooted in open source for Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft PowerToys rebooted in open source for Windows 10: Overview PowerToys is a set of utilities for power users to tune and streamline their Windows experience for greater productivity. Inspired by the Windows 95 era PowerToys project, this reboot provides power users with ways to squeeze more efficiency out of the Windows 10...
  6. Microsoft unveils new open source Windows Terminal

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft unveils new open source Windows Terminal: Microsoft released the source code of a new Windows Terminal application today featuring multi-tab support, improved font rendering, and more. The company plans to add Windows Terminal to the Microsoft Store for Windows 10 devices soon to make it available to more users....
  7. Microsoft uses open-source software to create Windows

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft uses open-source software to create Windows: Microsoft hasn't just become an enthusiastic open-source user; the company is now using the Git version control system to build Windows itself. The once prime example of proprietary software development is now relying on open source to create its trademark operating system....
  8. Windows 365 Still Possible, Sources Say

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 365 Still Possible, Sources Say: Windows 9 is clearly one of Microsoft’s biggest projects to be released next year, but it appears that the company is also working on something entirely new for customers. Windows 365, a new version of the operating system [img] that could be offered with a subscription...
  9. Microsoft reimagines open source cloud hardware

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft reimagines open source cloud hardware: Tomorrow, I’ll be speaking at Zettastructure: The European Digital Infrastructure Summit hosted by Datacenter Dynamics in London. In collaboration with the Open Compute Project (OCP), we are introducing Project Olympus – our next generation hyperscale cloud hardware design...
  10. Why Microsoft is turning into an open-source company

in Windows 10 News
    Why Microsoft is turning into an open-source company: Microsoft now has its own BSD Unix operating system, supports Ubuntu as a subsystem on Windows 10, and recently open-sourced the Xamarin software development kit. This is not Bill Gates or Steve Ballmer's Microsoft. I know it's very, very hard for some of you to believe...