Windows 10: Microsoft App Cant be open. Even windows defender cannot open

Discus and support Microsoft App Cant be open. Even windows defender cannot open in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I was trying to turn on my windows defender. But i cant even open the program. Program on my pc for microsoft store, photo, and etc cannot open [IMG]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by AuzniHatta, Mar 8, 2021.

1. Microsoft App Cant be open. Even windows defender cannot open

I was trying to turn on my windows defender. But i cant even open the program. Program on my pc for microsoft store, photo, and etc cannot open

Microsoft App Cant be open. Even windows defender cannot open [​IMG]

:)

AuzniHatta, Mar 8, 2021
  2. Brink Win User

Mail app will not open on 10041.

Hello Adam,

This is the suggested solution below if you haven't already tried it. Microsoft App Cant be open. Even windows defender cannot open :)

In this Windows 10 build 10041, the Mail, Calendar, and People apps may be broken due to a licensing issue with the Store Beta. To get these apps working again, you need to follow these steps:

• Open powershell as administrator
    • Run the command Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like “*windowscommunicationsapps*”} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage –online
    • Re-install Mail, People and Calendar from the Store (green tile)

Brink, Mar 8, 2021
  3. mngerhold Win User
    Can I customize the list of suggest apps in the "Open with" menu?

Well, I hope this helps the OP - it took a while. I tried 'Default Program Editor' (DPE) and it did indeed add (or remove) items, but when I tried to specifically add Word to pdf opening, it failed - it went through the motions, but nothing happened. So I started again, playing with settings for opening .doc files. This seemed to work: initially in explorer I had 3 programs appear in the 'default' list that pops up on a rt-click>open-with:

and this is what the relevant bit of the Registry showed:

Don't ask me why just 3 of those 8 (a to h) programs show up (maybe the 'instant' list is limited to three? - no, see later) - anyway, I used DPE to remove Wordpad from the list: when saving the edit as a REG file, this is what I got:

Code:
    and the result in Explorer was:

and the registry now shows:

Note how item 'g' from the list has been removed (it seems there is no issue with having a letter missing). I then messed about trying to open a .doc file with various other programs, and they all started to appear in the 'instant' list:

So I thought 'well, that is easy - just open a pdf once in Word and it should appear'. So back to trying to open PDFs: but however many times I tried, Word would never appear.

even though there were any number of entries in the Registry 'Open With' list, including Word:

So what did DPE make of this - well, it showed some of the entries:

Although Word is shown, it doesn't appear on a rt-click. Its entry can be removed, but that doesn't help. So my attention was drawn to the existence of another folder below 'OpenWithList', namely 'OpenWithProgids', and that contained a specific ref to Sumatra (my preferred program for PDFs). Looking back at the same entry for .docx, I found this:

so I added an identical Word.Document.12 ref to the list for PDFs:

I think IrfanView is there as it got added during my experiments! I now get this in Explorer:

Hurrah! I then tried to use DPE to remove the redundant entries, and got this as a .REG file:
    Code:
    But when i merge that with the registry, the IrfanView item does not get deleted:

and as seen in the registry:

so I deleted it by hand, and at last have the entries I (or rather, the OP) want:

Note that my manually added reg entry is of type Binary', as there seems to be no way to add a value of type 'None'.

So it seems that DPE cannot cope with entries in the 'Progids' list, and something makes some programs fall into that list, rather than the 'openwithlist'. I am sorry for any typos above, or pictures in the wrong place - can't be bothered to check it too thoroughly. Hope it helps someone!

atb, Martin

mngerhold, Mar 8, 2021
  4. Arul_D Win User

Microsoft App Cant be open. Even windows defender cannot open

Installing Apps on Windows 10 Has Windows Defender Finding Malware

Hi Tommy,

Welcome to the Microsoft Community.

• Is this issue specific to third party apps?
    I would suggest you to open Windows defender and add exclusions and check if it helps. Follow the steps to add exclusions in windows Defender.

• Type Windows defender settings in the search bar and press enter

• Under Exclusions click on Add Exclusion
    Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Arul_D, Mar 8, 2021
Thema:

Microsoft App Cant be open. Even windows defender cannot open

1. Microsoft App Cant be open. Even windows defender cannot open - Similar Threads - Microsoft App Cant

2. I cannot open Microsoft Defender

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I cannot open Microsoft Defender: I recently downloaded a game which asked me to disable my antivirus DEFENDERit already had a tool so i used it but when i tried to turn it on it showed this imagei tried the steps in these websites but they didn't...
  3. I cannot open Microsoft Defender

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cannot open Microsoft Defender: I recently downloaded a game which asked me to disable my antivirus DEFENDERit already had a tool so i used it but when i tried to turn it on it showed this imagei tried the steps in these websites but they didn't...
  4. I cannot open Microsoft Defender

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Cant open the Microsoft Store app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant open the Microsoft Store app: I cannot open the Microsoft Store app, I tried wsreset and still it wont open at all I am on Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-open-the-microsoft-store-app/dc3a4690-d587-4a89-b457-effe94a4a606
  6. Cant open the Microsoft Store app

Cant open the Microsoft Store app: I cannot open the Microsoft Store app, I tried wsreset and still it wont open at all I am on Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-open-the-microsoft-store-app/dc3a4690-d587-4a89-b457-effe94a4a606
  7. Cant open the Microsoft Store app

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Cannot open windows defender

Cannot open windows defender: Hello, after installing windows from image created by Media Creation Tools, I cannot open windows defender. This is the error when I tried to open it. How do I solve this problem? Thank you. [IMG]...
  9. Cant open Windows Defender

Cant open Windows Defender: I cant open windows defender. When I try to open windows defender nothing happens except for when the loading icon(that blue circle) spins around endlessly. Please can u help me. I have to restart my device when ever I try opening windows defender Kind Regards Logan...
  10. cannot open windows defender

cannot open windows defender: [img] I am using Lenovo g40-45. whenever I click 'open windows defender', the message on the picture attached flashes. real time protection is on. your help is highly appreciated! thank you! 45833