Windows 10: Microsoft Apps do not open and contain no data.

Discus and support Microsoft Apps do not open and contain no data. in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hi.I've been trying to access some default microsoft apps, primarily microsoft store, but I've run into some issues on the way. When opening one of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Eric69420, Sep 26, 2022.

1. Eric69420 Win User

Microsoft Apps do not open and contain no data.

Hi.I've been trying to access some default microsoft apps, primarily microsoft store, but I've run into some issues on the way. When opening one of these services, the app looks like it is about to boot normally for a second but is then immediately terminated. I have no idea why it is. I've tried some common fixes such as reinstalling windows repair route, all files and programs kept and using the windows powershell thing.Here is some weird stuff I've noted:- In Programfiles\Windowsapps\DeletedAllUserPackages, there were 55 different items. Alot of the apps there were the ones that weren't w

:)

Eric69420, Sep 26, 2022
  2. Brink Win User

Mail app will not open on 10041.

Hello Adam,

This is the suggested solution below if you haven't already tried it. Microsoft Apps do not open and contain no data. :)

In this Windows 10 build 10041, the Mail, Calendar, and People apps may be broken due to a licensing issue with the Store Beta. To get these apps working again, you need to follow these steps:

• Open powershell as administrator
    • Run the command Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like “*windowscommunicationsapps*”} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage –online
    • Re-install Mail, People and Calendar from the Store (green tile)

Brink, Sep 26, 2022
  3. Ztruker Win User
    Can I customize the list of suggest apps in the "Open with" menu?

@mngerhold, there is more involved. You have the

OpenWithList

Microsoft Apps do not open and contain no data. [​IMG]

OpenWithProgIDs

and UserChoice

which contains a HASH value and a ProgID which feeds back into the OpenWithProgIDs stem of the tree.
    I don't know how the HASH value is generateed or what it is generated from but I think it's important.

Ztruker, Sep 26, 2022
  4. mngerhold Win User

Can I customize the list of suggest apps in the "Open with" menu?

Well, I hope this helps the OP - it took a while. I tried 'Default Program Editor' (DPE) and it did indeed add (or remove) items, but when I tried to specifically add Word to pdf opening, it failed - it went through the motions, but nothing happened. So I started again, playing with settings for opening .doc files. This seemed to work: initially in explorer I had 3 programs appear in the 'default' list that pops up on a rt-click>open-with:

and this is what the relevant bit of the Registry showed:

Don't ask me why just 3 of those 8 (a to h) programs show up (maybe the 'instant' list is limited to three? - no, see later) - anyway, I used DPE to remove Wordpad from the list: when saving the edit as a REG file, this is what I got:

Code:
    and the result in Explorer was:

and the registry now shows:

Note how item 'g' from the list has been removed (it seems there is no issue with having a letter missing). I then messed about trying to open a .doc file with various other programs, and they all started to appear in the 'instant' list:

So I thought 'well, that is easy - just open a pdf once in Word and it should appear'. So back to trying to open PDFs: but however many times I tried, Word would never appear.

even though there were any number of entries in the Registry 'Open With' list, including Word:

So what did DPE make of this - well, it showed some of the entries:

Although Word is shown, it doesn't appear on a rt-click. Its entry can be removed, but that doesn't help. So my attention was drawn to the existence of another folder below 'OpenWithList', namely 'OpenWithProgids', and that contained a specific ref to Sumatra (my preferred program for PDFs). Looking back at the same entry for .docx, I found this:

so I added an identical Word.Document.12 ref to the list for PDFs:

I think IrfanView is there as it got added during my experiments! I now get this in Explorer:

Hurrah! I then tried to use DPE to remove the redundant entries, and got this as a .REG file:
    Code:
    But when i merge that with the registry, the IrfanView item does not get deleted:

and as seen in the registry:

so I deleted it by hand, and at last have the entries I (or rather, the OP) want:

Note that my manually added reg entry is of type Binary', as there seems to be no way to add a value of type 'None'.

So it seems that DPE cannot cope with entries in the 'Progids' list, and something makes some programs fall into that list, rather than the 'openwithlist'. I am sorry for any typos above, or pictures in the wrong place - can't be bothered to check it too thoroughly. Hope it helps someone!

atb, Martin

mngerhold, Sep 26, 2022
Thema:

1. Microsoft Apps do not open and contain no data. - Similar Threads - Microsoft Apps open

2. how do i open an app that is not microsoft

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do i open an app that is not microsoft: how do i open an app that is not microsoft https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-open-an-app-that-is-not-microsoft/60d9afa1-42c1-462f-8b59-0c3562549551
  3. how do i open an app that is not microsoft

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how do i open an app that is not microsoft: how do i open an app that is not microsoft https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-open-an-app-that-is-not-microsoft/60d9afa1-42c1-462f-8b59-0c3562549551
  4. Dmp files contains sensitive data.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dmp files contains sensitive data.: Hello,I am able to see sensitive data in dmp files, which can create security issues. Kindly provide us with a solution where we as hide these sensitive datas like passwords.Steps to be followed:Step 1: Open application and type in the textbox like username and password.Step...
  5. Dmp files contains sensitive data.

Dmp files contains sensitive data.: Hello,I am able to see sensitive data in dmp files, which can create security issues. Kindly provide us with a solution where we as hide these sensitive datas like passwords.Steps to be followed:Step 1: Open application and type in the textbox like username and password.Step...
  6. Dmp files contains sensitive data.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. Microsoft Apps do not open and contain no data.

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft Apps do not open and contain no data.: Hi.I've been trying to access some default microsoft apps, primarily microsoft store, but I've run into some issues on the way. When opening one of these services, the app looks like it is about to boot normally for a second but is then immediately terminated. I have no idea...
  8. Microsoft Apps do not open and contain no data.

Microsoft Apps do not open and contain no data.: Hi.I've been trying to access some default microsoft apps, primarily microsoft store, but I've run into some issues on the way. When opening one of these services, the app looks like it is about to boot normally for a second but is then immediately terminated. I have no idea...
  9. Microsoft Store and apps do not open

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft Store and apps do not open: The store does not open. Most MS Store apps like calculator do not open either. However some, like Netflix and Powertoys, do open. Yesterday I reinstalled windows to see if that would fix it, but it did not. I have tried everything, including reseting the store, running the...
  10. Keyboard not working and what to do if the keyboard is not working and open app data and...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Keyboard not working and what to do if the keyboard is not working and open app data and...: what to do if the keyboard is not working and open app data and also keyboard not woking when you press space it says restore move size minimize maximize and close...