Windows 10: Microsoft asks users to minimize use of devices that lost data after Windows 10 October update

Discus and support Microsoft asks users to minimize use of devices that lost data after Windows 10 October update in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; The Windows 10 October 2018 Update is no longer available for download after users claimed that the update has wiped their data without their... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Oct 7, 2018.

1. WinLatest New Member

Microsoft asks users to minimize use of devices that lost data after Windows 10 October update

The Windows 10 October 2018 Update is no longer available for download after users claimed that the update has wiped their data without their permission. Judging from reports, the deletion bug doesn’t appear to be widespread but the rollout stays on hold until the investigation comes to an end.

“We have paused the rollout of the Windows 10 October 2018 Update (version 1809) for all users as we investigate isolated reports of users missing some files after updating,” Microsoft explains.

Microsoft has also published a workaround to recover the deleted content and Dona Sarkar explains that the affected users can get in touch the company’s support team to recover the lost data.

Microsoft asks users to minimize use of devices that lost data after Windows 10 October update File-Explorer-in-Windows-10.jpg

“If you’ve run into the “missing files after update” issue for 1809/October 2018 Fall update, please call our support line. They have the tools to get you back to a good state. This build is no longer available to download manually,” writes Dona Sarkar.

Microsoft asks users to minimize use of devices that lost data after Windows 10 October update Windows-10-version-1809.jpg
    The old support document, image via Dona Sarkar

Now it appears that Microsoft has updated the support document with a new line that recommends users to minimize the use of affected devices. If you lost data after installing it, you can get in touch with the company’s support team to recover the files.

“If you have manually checked for updates and believe you have an issue with missing files after an update, please minimize your use of the affected device and contact us directly at +1-800-MICROSOFT, or find a local number in your area,” the updated support document reads.

Microsoft asks users to minimize use of devices that lost data after Windows 10 October update Windows-10-version-1809-issues.jpg
    The updated support document

Dona Sarkar explains that you can check whether your files are deleted after installing the Windows 10 October 2018 Update by opening the Documents folder. If all your files are still, then you’re good to go and no action is required. But if the files are gone, you’re recommended to minimize the use of the device and contact Microsoft directly at +1-800-MICROSOFT.

The post Microsoft asks users to minimize use of devices that lost data after Windows 10 October update appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Oct 7, 2018

2. Microsoft to Introduce Telemetry Data Viewer for Windows

Remember all that talk and noise regarding Microsoft's "automagical" telemetry data collection, and how that spurred the company to create a "telemetry-less" version of its Windows 10 operating system for the Chinese market? It seems Microsoft is keen to keep giving users more information on exactly what information is gathered and when - slowly but assuredly striving for greater transparency, and looking to garner increased trust from consumers and enterprises alike.

The much awaited capability is being baked in to the next major Windows 10 release, and Microsoft is giving Windows Insiders an early preview of the Windows Diagnostic Data Viewer utility. Adding to this new utility are some changes to the Microsoft Privacy Dashboard that will enable users to see and manage more data associated with their Microsoft accounts. Available to everyone in the Microsoft Store, the Diagnostic Data Viewer is separate from the Microsoft Privacy Dashboard, and "allows you to see, search, and take action with your diagnostic data." It's not clear yet what sort of telemetry features users will be able to stop Microsoft from collecting, if any. However, at least now you'll be able to look at exactly which processes and services are collecting data form your system. The diagnostic data that will be viewable in the new utility follows.

Microsoft asks users to minimize use of devices that lost data after Windows 10 October update yDvisPRlBWJ8AKA6_thm.jpg

• Common Data, like the Operating System's name, the Version, Device ID, Device Class, Diagnostic level selection and so on.
    • Device Connectivity and Configuration such as device properties and capabilities, preferences and settings, peripherals, and device network information.
    • Product and Service Performance data that show device health, performance and reliability data, movie consumption functionality on the device and device file queries. It's important to note that this functionality is not intended to capture user viewing or, listening habits.
    • Product and Service Usage data includes details about the usage of the device, operating system, applications, and services.
    • Software Setup and Inventory such as installed applications and install history, device update information.
    Microsoft Privacy Dashboard
    Updates to the Microsoft Privacy Dashboard include a new Activity History page, which aims to provide a clear and easy to navigate way to see the data that is saved with users' Microsoft accounts. The Microsoft Privacy Dashboard further allows users to manage their data and change what data is collected by adjusting the privacy settings on their devices or browser at any time.

In the coming months, Microsoft will keep the slow roll-out of additional features that will allow users to:
    • View and manage media consumption data, as well as product and service activity on the Activity History page
    • Export for any of the data you see on the dashboard
    • Delete specific items to allow for greater individual control

Raevenlord, Oct 7, 2018
  3. OSdevr Win User
    Microsoft Windows 10 Fall Creators Update Available Today

Oh dear they're still pushing that. I STILL don't like the metro tiles and stuff!

OSdevr, Oct 7, 2018
  4. desennium Win User

Microsoft asks users to minimize use of devices that lost data after Windows 10 October update

Microsoft Windows 10 Fall Creators Update Available Today

Microsoft released Windows 10, code named "Threshold 1," a little over two years ago. As of May of this year, there were approximately 500 million Windows 10 devices worldwide. Originally, Microsoft predicted that Windows 10 would be installed on 1 billion devices by mid-2018. When released, Windows 10 gained huge adoption from those running Windows 7 from the "free-upgrade program" which lasted one year.

Since then however, installations have slowly declined and in July of last year, Microsoft admitted that they would miss their projected goal of 1 billion devices. Since its release, Windows 10 has had three major update releases with "Threshold 2," in 2015, "Anniversary Update," in 2016, "Creators Update" in April of this year and today marks the release of Microsoft's fourth major feature update to its operating system, dubbed "Fall Creators Update," version 1709.

Today's update brings about many new features including:
    • OneDrive On demand (formerly known as OneDrive Placeholders introduced in WIndows 8.1) a way to keep track of your files stored on OneDrive from any of your devices without having to store them locally.
    • 'My People' Hub Integration makes it easier to stay in touch with people right from the taskbar
    • Story Remix gives you to the tools and the power to create content from your photos and videos to make memorable stories
    • Windows Mixed Reality brings a new generation of augmented reality where the real world meets the digital one.
    • Fluent Design System is Microsoft's new design that will take place over the next few years with each feature update. Microsoft intends to make all products and devices one user interface and it begins with the Fall Creators Update.

Furthermore, Microsoft has made changes and brings privacy enhancements with today's update. The Fall Creators Update gives users more control of what information is being collected. Users will be greeted with the Privacy Statement on the setup process to get an idea of what information that entails. Microsoft is also adding two game anti-cheating systems, called TruePlay and Game Monitor, to address the problem of cheating similarly to what VAC (Valve Anti-Cheating) does for Steam.

The Fall Creators Update is available today but will be rolled out in stages as usual. Newer devices most compatible with Windows 10 will receive the update first. The rollout will take several months before everyone is updated. However, if you don't see today's update you can use the Update Assistant Tool to manually update now, here.

Source: Microsoft

desennium, Oct 7, 2018
Thema:

1. Microsoft asks users to minimize use of devices that lost data after Windows 10 October update - Similar Threads - Microsoft asks users

2. After clicking on Hidden on the user, lost data

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After clicking on Hidden on the user, lost data: I tried to see hidden files. Opened Explorer and on user clicked on hidde.Now all documents, pictures disappeared. In explorer, I do not see any users except User\Public...
  3. After clicking on Hidden on the user, lost data

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    After clicking on Hidden on the user, lost data: I tried to see hidden files. Opened Explorer and on user clicked on hidde.Now all documents, pictures disappeared. In explorer, I do not see any users except User\Public...
  4. After clicking on Hidden on the user, lost data

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Data Lost After Windows Updates

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Data Lost After Windows Updates: After an update, it seems that some of my information is lost. I have lost all my pictures, apps, security app, etc. Why does this keep happening and what can I do to prevent it in the future? [Original Title: windows updates]...
  6. Lost data after windows update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Lost data after windows update: An unfortunate series of events ended with me losing some important files after a windows 10 update version 1909. Steps to reproduce: 1: After the initial update, my computer rebooted to a nearly clean desktop. Missing 90% of my desktop seemed to only contains certain...
  7. Data lost after after windows 10 latest update

Data lost after after windows 10 latest update: Hello Everyone!!! I'm facing issues regarding the latest update of windows 10. My Data and Apps that i installed got deleted. Every time logged in to my device My device removes my data.......Please help me to solve my issue Thank you so much!!!...
  8. Lost Quicken user data after Windows update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lost Quicken user data after Windows update: I am a Quicken user and the last upgrade to my computer caused a loss of stored memory to this program. I'm not sure how this happened as I have a external hard drive I use to backup all info on. I lost over a months worth of info. I've tried unsuccessfully to retrieve this...
  9. Lost files after Windows 10 October 2018 update

Lost files after Windows 10 October 2018 update: Two days ago I installed the October update and was surprised that 2 of my pst files have disappeared. The weird part is that the same directory had 2 other pst files that luckily did not get affected. All other files seem to be safe as they are OneDrive. Not sure if there...
  10. Lost all my user data after update - YOU SUCK MICROSOFT

Lost all my user data after update - YOU SUCK MICROSOFT: Dear Microsoft, For once, can you listen to your damn customers and stop thinking about your profits. I updated my work laptop running Windows 10, and you managed to delete all the user data. For the record, all three of my companies are running Linux and Open Office...