Windows 10: Microsoft Blocks Classic Shell in Windows 10 Build 9879

Discus and support Microsoft Blocks Classic Shell in Windows 10 Build 9879 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Windows 8 was the first modern Windows version to come without a Start menu, a change which not only confused many Windows 7 users planning to upgrade,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by labeeman, Nov 19, 2014.

1. labeeman Win User

Microsoft Blocks Classic Shell in Windows 10 Build 9879

More

:)

labeeman, Nov 19, 2014
  2. Tangram11 Win User

Classic shell needs to configure itself for the new OS.

Ignore the typical useless non-answer from Microsoft.

The Update to Build 10586 not only causes this problem to occur, but actively prevents Classic Shell from running its updater.

So it's another **** Windows 10 update from Microsoft.

To resolve this, you need to uninstall Classic Shell, then download the latest version from Classic Shell: Downloads and install manually.

Tangram11, Nov 19, 2014
  3. I don't want Classic Shell on my hard-drive.

Original Tile: Classic Shell

What is CLASSIC SHELL? I have Windows 10, and a Hewlett-Packard Pavillion 14. The verified publisher of Classic Shell is neither Microsoft nor Hewlett-Packard, so I don't want it on my hard-drive. I also run KASPERSKY anti-virus.

By not having CLASSIC SHELL am I causing problems? Thanks for any help.

NickolasPaglia, Nov 19, 2014
  4. BunnyJ New Member

That's been mentioned in at least one other thread here. It's sort of a shame since it cuts down the options uses will have for the start they want or need.

MS really needs to expand on the options that are available for adjusting/setting up the start menu. The way it is now is just right for me and some others but some will need more fine tuning to meet their needs.

Jeff

BunnyJ, Nov 19, 2014
  5. groze Win User
    *What

I wonder what Classic Shell response is. Why does just renaming it work? I was considering trying 9879 and the consumer preview but I am not so sure now. I may stick with windows 7, then go to Linux when unsupported. Does any know if takeownship reg file still work in 9879?

groze, Nov 19, 2014
  6. LittleJay Win User
    As mentioned in the article, there is a work around for installing Classic Shell for those who want to use it. Personally I have gotten used to the W8.1 Start Screen.

LittleJay, Nov 19, 2014
  7. BunnyJ New Member
    Classic Shell works just fine in Win8.x and Win7. So if I were you I would stick with Win7, it's going to be supported for some time.

BunnyJ, Nov 19, 2014
  8. BunnyJ New Member

In my Win8.1.1 instillation I use Classic Shell. I just like it a lot more than the start screen. Plus I still can access the start screen with classic shell. There's a icon to get there.

BunnyJ, Nov 19, 2014
  9. Rickkins Win User
    The very height of hubris. Smacks of arrogance and outright ignorance.
    I wish I had known before I installed '79, as I would have avoided it.

Rickkins, Nov 19, 2014
  10. LittleJay Win User
    In my Win8.1.1 instillation I use Classic Shell. I just like it a lot more than the start screen. Plus I still can access the start screen with classic shell. There's a icon to get there. Yup, I understand where you're coming from. The Start Menu is great for those who like it, but hopefully the Start Screen will also work on W10 desktops and not just touch screen devices.

LittleJay, Nov 19, 2014
  11. BunnyJ New Member
    In my Win8.1.1 instillation I use Classic Shell. I just like it a lot more than the start screen. Plus I still can access the start screen with classic shell. There's a icon to get there. Yup, I understand where you're coming from. The Start Menu is great for those who like it, but hopefully the Start Screen will also work on W10 desktops and not just touch screen devices. I totally agree. There should be a simple way to get to the start screen from the start menu.

Jeff

BunnyJ, Nov 19, 2014
  12. I made the decision to try 10 without classic shell to try out what they Microsoft came up with. It is simply that. Microsoft want users to try the start menu and provide feedback from the standard 10 start menu.
    Classic shell had better work with the RTM version or there will be trouble.

Indianatone, Nov 19, 2014
  13. groze Win User

Indianatone
    A simple rename of the install name will allow it be installed for now. It actually should be allowed with consumer preview though without having to rename it.

groze, Nov 19, 2014
  14. BC66 Win User
    i just install classic shell ver. 4.1.0 on windows 10 and it's works!
    all you have to do is to rename from classic shell to what ever name you want. i used softpedia.
    it run smooth and no problem so far.
    i'm pretty sure that classic shell will come up with new version to work with windows 10.

15. Personally, I've really lost interest in Windows 10. I don't think it's THAT much better than Windows 8.1 (I do like a Start Menu replacement with Windows 8.1 however). But I just don't understand what it is that's wowing everyone on this forum (no offence or anything like that meant). But to me, this program blockage just seals the deal. I'll stay with Vista x64 until April 2017 (or until this PC breaks down). Then I'll migrate to 8.1 x64 on a new UEFI capable machine.

Jody Thornton, Nov 19, 2014
Thema:

1. Microsoft Blocks Classic Shell in Windows 10 Build 9879 - Similar Threads - Microsoft Blocks Classic

2. Classic shell

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Classic shell: Sorry if this has already been answered. I just got a Windows update, and now I lost my classic shell, and I really need it. I guess the update got rid of it. When I click on the start button, it just flashes. I have a new laptop and use Edge. Any help would be appreciated....
  3. Classic shell

in Windows 10 Support
    Classic shell: Sorry if this has already been answered. I just got a Windows update, and now I lost my classic shell, and I really need it. I guess the update got rid of it. When I click on the start button, it just flashes. I have a new laptop and use Edge. Any help would be appreciated....
  4. classic shell

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    classic shell: what is the purpose of classic shell ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/classic-shell/65de2760-eb0a-4c92-9b25-76aadb23625d
  5. Classic Shell to Classic Start

Classic Shell to Classic Start: I've used Classic Shell since I upgraded to Windows 10. It has been a lifesaver. The developer stopped supporting the program a couple of years age, but someone picked up on it and developed a fork called "Classic Start". Classic Shell is still working fine for me, but is...
  6. classic shell

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    classic shell: 1.classic shell needs to configure itself 2. an administrator has blocked you from running this ap. I have an HP notebook and keep getting the above messages every time I use my laptop and I would like to continue to use classic shell, and have tried unsuccessfully to sort...
  7. Windows 10 Classic Shell

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Classic Shell: Having recently upgraded from 7 Pro to 10 - I really missed the 7 Start menu! Downloaded the Classic Shell add-on program only 9.8mb. Suits me! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-classic-shell/5fa14830-8000-4ab8-b4c8-6fbc5407f262
  8. Will Classic Shell work on Windows 10

Will Classic Shell work on Windows 10: I would like to use Classic Shell with Windows 10. A search of the web found an article entitled something like "Microsoft Blocks Classic Shell" and I didn't understand all of it.. What is the experience with using Classic Shell with Windows 10? Thank you. 47676
  9. classic shell

classic shell: Well it doesn't work on W10 9975
  10. Latest Classic Shell for Windows 10

Latest Classic Shell for Windows 10: Ver.4.20 Classic Shell 3262