Windows 10: Microsoft branded USB 4GB is permanently Read Only Write Protected

Discus and support Microsoft branded USB 4GB is permanently Read Only Write Protected in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Years ago, I bought a Windows OS with licence loaded onto a USB on which the swivelling cover / USB male end protector was branded "Microsoft Be what's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Hank van Laar, Aug 5, 2022.

1. Microsoft branded USB 4GB is permanently Read Only Write Protected

Years ago, I bought a Windows OS with licence loaded onto a USB on which the swivelling cover / USB male end protector was branded "Microsoft Be what's next". From memory, after loading, the content on the USB was wiped but the USB, which now showed no data = 4GB empty remained Read Only and Windows Format refused to format it so I could use it for general stuff. Zero Fill programs, like Maxtor's Powermax 4.23 and KillDisk won't touch it, using the CMD line as Administrator and following the advice on other forums of Device List etc. etc. until you can reset the Read Only parameter to 0 fail

:)

Hank van Laar, Aug 5, 2022

2. Microsoft branded USB 4GB is permanently Read Only Write Protected

Years ago, I bought a Windows OS with licence loaded onto a USB on which the swivelling cover / USB male end protector was branded "Microsoft Be what's next". From memory, after loading, the content on the USB was wiped but the USB, which now showed no data = 4GB empty remained Read Only and Windows Format refused to format it so I could use it for general stuff. Zero Fill programs, like Maxtor's Powermax 4.23 and KillDisk won't touch it, using the CMD line as Administrator and following the advice on other forums of Device List etc. etc. until you can reset the Read Only parameter to 0 fails every time, finding the Regedit key HKEY\LocalMachine\ etc. listed in other forums and ensuring its Read Only argument is also 0 changes nothing.

I have used a controller chip discoverer program that lists Vendor ID and Product ID so I could go to the Russian site and download the specific Vendor software (in my case the controller chip is an Alcor Taiwanese unit) and use it to change out the Read Only and then Format the USB. The Alcor software has identified the USB but still won't format it.

Does anyone in the Community (or at Microsoft) know what Microsoft did to their program carting USB's that makes it so hard to recover the USB for general use? Failing that can you access that controller chip's Firmware code from CMD so I can cycle through the lines of it until I get to the Read Only = 1 or whatever and change it to zero. I know it is only a crappy little 4GB USB 2.0 device and should be thrown away but I just don't like being beaten by a single digit in just one line of code. Many thanks in anticipation of a reply. Hank

Hank van Laar, Aug 5, 2022
  3. freebird_9924, Aug 5, 2022
  4. Sher Amo Win User

Microsoft branded USB 4GB is permanently Read Only Write Protected

USB devices getting write protected

Hi Imdad,

Some removable storage devices like USB flash drives or pen drive have write protection which is designed to help users prevent unexpected data loss by refusing to delete or format.

However, if you’re stuck with a write-protected USB drive that can’t be formatted. We recommend that you follow these steps on how to erase and format a write-protected USB flash drive and pen drive using the Regedit.exe tool in Windows. To do this,
    follow the steps below:

• In the Search box, type regedit and press Enter.
    • Navigate to the following folder:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies

Double-click on the WriteProtect value in the right-hand pane of Regedit.exe. Change the Value data from 1 to 0 and click OK to save the change. Close Regedit and restart your computer. Connect your USB flash drive or pen drive again, and you should find the
    write protection is removed and the device is no longer write protected.

Important: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection,
    back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, refer to the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article.

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/322756.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Sher Amo, Aug 5, 2022
Thema:

Microsoft branded USB 4GB is permanently Read Only Write Protected

1. Microsoft branded USB 4GB is permanently Read Only Write Protected - Similar Threads - Microsoft branded USB

2. usb: "This disk is write-protected"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    usb: "This disk is write-protected": I hate this alot, I tried editing Registry Editor and command prompt, but nothing worked. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-this-disk-is-write-protected/09c31158-ee9a-441a-8a2f-390932d29b1f
  3. Cant change the "This Drive is read only" or "this media is write protected"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant change the "This Drive is read only" or "this media is write protected": hi I have a problem, my SSD Drive D: suddenly can't be edited, I can't delete files, add folders, I can only access folders that are already there. I've tried several solutions on google but they haven't worked. the solution i tried like "diskpart -> list disk -> select disk...
  4. Cant change the "This Drive is read only" or "this media is write protected"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cant change the "This Drive is read only" or "this media is write protected": hi I have a problem, my SSD Drive D: suddenly can't be edited, I can't delete files, add folders, I can only access folders that are already there. I've tried several solutions on google but they haven't worked. the solution i tried like "diskpart -> list disk -> select disk...
  5. "The disk is write protected" in Windows 10 Diskpart says "Read only : No"

"The disk is write protected" in Windows 10 Diskpart says "Read only : No": I have experienced something weird with my two latest Windows 10 installations. They both suddenly became "write protected". There's no common fix to this problem. My problem is local on my computer. All my physical hard drives has the term "online" on and none of them has...
  6. Usb Write Protected

Usb Write Protected: I can not delete or copy anything on my usb it sasy write protected its even did same to my phones external storage https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-write-protected/93973814-ac33-4479-a0c8-b87845914fb6"
  7. Usb Write Protected

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Usb Write Protected: Hi there I have an issue with a usb stick I don't no how it got write protected but I cant format it or anything.i have tried the disk part with cmd and it doesn't work and the disk registry doesn't work either must I throw it away?I don't no if it has something to do...
  8. Write Protected USB

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Write Protected USB: Hi, Yesterday I just bought a HP 32gb flash drive. And when I tried to connect it with my laptop, immediately It shows a pop up message to Format the USB first, tried formatting it with the default method (by right clicking and selecting the format option) . then it...
  9. Write to read only memory

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Write to read only memory: I have had two BSODs this morning, the first was PFN list corrupt closely followed by Write to read only memory. This is a clean install of Windows 10, I thought it might cure the BSODs but no such luck. So glad to find this forum. Attachment 82075 51621
  10. Kingston 4GB DataTraveler Write Protected

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Kingston 4GB DataTraveler Write Protected: I tried CMD, StorageDevicePolicies in Regedit but nothing. Still Write Protected, help. 39456