Windows 10: Microsoft breaks Windows Defender on Windows 10

Discus and support Microsoft breaks Windows Defender on Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Update for Windows Defender broke the antivirus scans on Windows 10, with the antivirus protection software reporting error “Items Skipped During... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Mar 22, 2020.

1. WinLatest New Member

Microsoft breaks Windows Defender on Windows 10

Update for Windows Defender broke the antivirus scans on Windows 10, with the antivirus protection software reporting error “Items Skipped During Scan”. For many users, Windows Defender scans are failing after a couple of minutes, confirming that “scan was skipped” and no threats were discovered on the device.

It’s not clear what items were skipped during the scan by Windows Defender and we also don’t know if Microsoft’s antivirus software is able to detect any threats on Windows 10.

It’s possible that Windows Defender warnings are false and scans were performed successfully. In our testing, both manual and automatic scans are failing with the following error message:

Item skipped in scan, due to exclusion setting, or network scanning disabled by admin

Microsoft breaks Windows Defender on Windows 10 Windows-Defender-scan-skipped.jpg

Windows Defender version 4.18.2003 or newer apparently introduced this bug when Microsoft was trying to fix other issues. The problem is specific to Windows 10, as other Windows operating systems including Windows 7 and 8 are not affected by this glitch.

“I do get that message with a manual quick scan or with a full scan. It happens whether/not I turn off Cloud-delivered Protection or Controlled Folder Access. I didn’t try the other settings. I’ve got no folder excluded,” one user reported.

“It seems like something caused the notification settings with the latest update to get weird. I did a scan with malwarebytes after and found nothing. I did also do a sfc /scannow and it found a corrupt file which seems to be related to OneDrive but that seems unrelated,” another poster noted in Reddit.

According to the error message, Windows Defender Antivirus scans are skipped due to an item’s exclusion or network scanning settings. Since the exclusion doesn’t appear to be the issue in user reports, it’s likely to be associated with a particular defender update or other updates pushed by Microsoft and device manufacturer.

Microsoft has yet to document problems with Windows Defender, but it appears that the offline scan feature is working without any issues at the moment.

The post Microsoft breaks Windows Defender on Windows 10 appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Mar 22, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Mar 22, 2020
  3. HAT
    hat Win User
    What the hell, windows defender?

So, a while back I disabled windows defender via gpedit. Come to find out it's running again, and telling me my miner is a "severe" threat, despite still being disabled in gpedit. There's a few new entries related to windows defender in gpedit that didn't used to be there before. I'm guessing this happened during the big spring update. UAC keeps becoming re-enabled somehow, as well. For now I have a shitty registry key that's supposed to disable windows defender instead, hopefully it works.

Damn, Microsoft. They were pushing users to upgrade to 10 so hard, even resorting to plain trickery to get it on as many machines as possible. Now not only is it doing hardcore data mining in the background, but it's changing settings all on its own to whatever Microsoft wants. One step closer to pushing me to Ubuntu or something. I'd already be there if I didn't think it would be an arduous task learning how to computer all over again while simultaneously breaking a lot of games, which is mostly what I use this computer for...

Bill Gates needs to go back to Microsoft just so he can kick all the guys responsible for w10 squarely in the nuts. /rant

4. malware Win User

Windows Defender Released

Microsoft has released the final version of its Windows Defender anti-spyware utility. Windows Defender is a product of the Microsoft acquisition of GIANT Software. Previously known as Windows AntiSpyware, after a two years beta period it's now available for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 under the name Windows Defender. Windows Defender incorporates Real-Time Protection to monitor systems for spyware activity, automated spyware removal with scheduled scans, full integration with Internet Explorer 7.0 and automatic spyware definition updates from Microsoft. Windows Defender is available freely to all customers running a genuine copy of Windows. Microsoft has also announced that customers will each be allowed to report two support incidents for free with Windows XP and Windows Server 2003.

Source: DailyTech

malware, Mar 22, 2020
Thema:

1. Microsoft breaks Windows Defender on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Microsoft breaks Defender

2. .NET update breaks Windows defender

in Windows 10 Gaming
    .NET update breaks Windows defender: Hello,I just installed Windows 22H2 update. After the update Windows Defender worked fine until Windows installed .NET update KB5017026. The same thing happened in July when I installed Windows 11 for the first time. There was a .NET update that broke the Defender. Event log...
  3. .NET update breaks Windows defender

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    .NET update breaks Windows defender: Hello,I just installed Windows 22H2 update. After the update Windows Defender worked fine until Windows installed .NET update KB5017026. The same thing happened in July when I installed Windows 11 for the first time. There was a .NET update that broke the Defender. Event log...
  4. What is this Windows Defender that breaks with one button?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    What is this Windows Defender that breaks with one button?: Hi everyone!Why does Windows Defender breaks with one button in the Win 10 Tweaker program? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-this-windows-defender-that-breaks-with-one/36df52fb-8469-4219-9d30-001fe781072f
  5. Microsoft Store Breaks after Reinstalling Windows 10

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft Store Breaks after Reinstalling Windows 10: Hi Windows Community. I Reinstalled Windows today but the Windows Store Doesnt work properly now it doesn't open. Tried these commands Get-AppxPackage -allusers *WindowsStore* Remove-AppxPackage Get-AppxPackage -allusers *WindowsStore* Foreach {Add-AppxPackage...
  6. Windows 10 is slowly breaking

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 is slowly breaking: Over the course of the past few days, my pc has been getting slower and slower. With programs not responding at a more frequent rate. I have also noticed other odd things like not being able to type numbers and text disappearing from things. Though this sounds like some kind...
  7. Windows 10 Break dance

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Break dance: Hello i have recently installed a clean windows 10 and in that everything in the screen which is moving freez for 1 sec after every 3 second. Is like the robotic dance move. Before installing the fresh windows there was no problem like this..and both windows were windows 10...
  8. Microsoft renames Windows Defender on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft renames Windows Defender on Windows 10: Microsoft is slowly moving away from the Windows Defender branding. In March 2019, Microsoft renamed Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection to Microsoft Defender ATP and the company brought ATP to the Mac. Microsoft is also planning to launch Defender ATP on Android and...
  9. Windows 10 breaking / failing

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 breaking / failing: This is a copy paste from a reddit post of mine So I have recently 24-48hrs ago realized that my mouse stopped working. Turned out it was not my mouse but the USB ports/drivers. When I go check for hardware changes, the USB driver is not working, error at code 10 or smtg...
  10. Microsoft’s update breaks Windows Defender’s scanning feature

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft’s update breaks Windows Defender’s scanning feature: Some Windows 10 users have been troubled after applying the September 2019 cumulative update due to critical bugs like broken Start menu and Network adapter failures. Following a catalogue of disasters, another bug appears to be hitting Windows 10. According to various...