Windows 10: Microsoft Brings Their Spying Features From Windows 10 to 7 & 8

Discus and support Microsoft Brings Their Spying Features From Windows 10 to 7 & 8 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; So according to Forbes, Microsoft is bringing 4 updates to Windows 7 and Windows 8 that spy on you like in windows 10 Here's some details,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Ninetailz, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Ninetailz Win User

Microsoft Brings Their Spying Features From Windows 10 to 7 & 8

So according to Forbes, Microsoft is bringing 4 updates to Windows 7 and Windows 8 that spy on you like in windows 10

Here's some details,

Read more here:-
    Windows 10 Worst Features Installed On Windows 7 and Windows 8

Well i just don't know, Why is Microsoft doing this?

:)

Ninetailz, Aug 30, 2015

2. drag & drop feature that allowed to rearrange items pinned to the Jumplist in taskbar icons.

Guyz please share your views about drag & drop feature that allowed to rearrange items pinned to the Jumplist in taskbar icons
    this feature, we were enjoying in Windows 7 and 8 but not in Windows 10.

Should Microsoft bring this feature back..????

Raj Jangra, Aug 30, 2015
  3. gilfavor Win User
    gilfavor, Aug 30, 2015
  4. Microsoft Brings Their Spying Features From Windows 10 to 7 & 8

to better serve the windows platform to bring updates and fixes to our machines... nothing to do with spying as it were... I said before if you don't want to be "spied upon" switch to a local user account.... turn Cortana off ... delete your search history from your Microsoft account page... uninstall bing toolbar if installed... don't use the continuum feature... or modern apps.... that way you'll be on a windows 7 style pc without the onedrive backup utility and all the other apps that require your Microsoft account........

in other words QUIT WHINING.... or would you like some Cheese with that Whine lol shaking head

icpwolverine, Aug 30, 2015
  5. Ninetailz Win User
    Lol, even with those disabled Microsoft can still get you automatically updated (label it as security bug fixes) and sneak in some tools that "tracks" you haha. And i am not whining ... i am just upset because now they are doing this with win 7... at least keep you tracking and other tools to win 10 why bringing it to win 7?

Ninetailz, Aug 30, 2015
  6. Pinefang Win User
    I think it is time to look into Linux.

Pinefang, Aug 30, 2015
  7. ssn650 Win User
    The problem with turning Cortana off, switching to a Local User Account and not using any Modern Apps is that you end up with more or less a Windows 7 operating system. That's why I've gone back, and am carefully reviewing any updates proposed by Microsoft before downloading and installing them. The GWX "Get Windows 10" pop up was particularly annoying and never should have been included.

ssn650, Aug 30, 2015
  8. Microsoft Brings Their Spying Features From Windows 10 to 7 & 8

I had that thought when Windows 8 came out. I looked into Ubuntu but truthfully its pants. There is no real software for it, just a few 'limited features' open-source apps. So how do we continue to do computer stuff without decent apps? We can't. So Linux is a bust. If Windows 10 was just as awful as W8 I was seriously considering dumping Windows completely and going Mac (god help me!). But Windows 10 is starting to shape up if only we can get the Microsoft nosy-beak nonsense under control. But can we trust them not to sneak and peek?

squawksarah, Aug 30, 2015
  9. bromanbro Win User
    There's 3 levels under "Feedback and Diagnostics" in Windows 10. "Full" sends memory snapshots to MS which can obviously include personal information.

Now I dunno about you, but although lawyers wrote that MS "will discard personal information that happens to be in memory snapshots", I still don't trust the individuals who happen to be looking over that data.

It's nice that you trust a faceless corporation so much, though. Way I see it is that if it was merely for diagnostic purposes, then there's no need to have 3 levels.

Even Google Chrome Canary (their bleeding edge builds) have diagnostic telemetry off by default, but they encourage you to opt in obviously lol. Yet look at W10 Insider Builds forcing diagnostic telemetry to "full" with no opt out feature...I don't mind helping diagnose issues in a beta build, but FORCING it to maximum seems a bit shady, if even the demonspawn Google doesn't do that.

bromanbro, Aug 30, 2015
  10. You DID notice that this post was NOT about Win10 - right? Most of the suggestions you made are irrelevant in Windows 7 & 8.

Mark Phelps, Aug 30, 2015
  11. groze Win User
    Sorry for the bad news. I think some of the linux distro might be doing the same thing.

If you are going to Linux don't use opensuse gnome. I think it could have a tracking but I am not sure. A similar privacy screen popped up when I was trying opensuse gnome. Opensuse kde or other opensuse desktops didn't pop up. Note there is an issue with opensuse mint, maybe they will have that issue fix with the next release(Leap). Also, I think opensuse is going to do the same thing Microsoft is doing with updates they call it a rolling release. I think the rolling release starts with their leap version 42.x

I am sure you can find other distro that won't do a rolling release or have privacy issue. I think that why Linux mint (Ubuntu based), Lubuntu, Xubuntu, all came about. They wanted more privacy then Ubuntu itself has.

groze, Aug 30, 2015
  12. Doesn't that make one think that just turning OFF auto updates is the way to go?
    I had to do that years ago, when MS Updates were corrupting Windows XP machines, all over the place.
    After taking many service calls to FIX what MS Updates corrupted, I started just turning it OFF. Now that's a mute point.

It's years later and I'm back to the same point.... Do I want to accept MS's crap or just put it all on ignore?
    My PC runs just fine with what it already has....do I really want something new that might corrupt my PC or make it less safe?

Updates are so easy to just Shut OFF, why all the angst, over them causing problems?

Cheers mates!
    *Cool

TechnoMage, Aug 30, 2015
  13. Microsoft Brings Their Spying Features From Windows 10 to 7 & 8

Pity you didn't even read the summary (let alone the article).
    *Doh

OpenSUSE Mint?
    Perhaps you meant OpenSUSE MATE.

Arch Linux has used rolling updates for a long time (my friend has been using it for ~10 years now).

The same general idea applies to most distro variants; "we can make a better distro than this."

I get the impression that many users left Ubuntu because of Unity and GNOME3.
    I know I did (I switched to Linux Mint).

KDE have also apparently decided to copy MS' modus operandi regarding features.
    When the developers noticed that most users were disabling Disc Indexing, they used the MS W8 Start Screen solution; they removed the disable option.
    *Doh

Not in W10 (unless you mean ripping the network cable out).

lehnerus2000, Aug 30, 2015
  14. sygnus21 Win User
    I'm sure someone will wind up complaining they were insulted and have this thread closed as well. I personally think all these type thread should be banned because they ultimately just turn into a *itch fest with people complaining to the mods. And titled threads like these are designed to do nothing but bring flame wars.

My two cents.

sygnus21, Aug 30, 2015
  15. FerchogtX Win User
    And this is why you completely turn off Windows Updates, shut down the service, and patch your system manually...
    Microsoft, you will never get that stuff installed on my machines...

FerchogtX, Aug 30, 2015
Thema:

Microsoft Brings Their Spying Features From Windows 10 to 7 & 8

1. Microsoft Brings Their Spying Features From Windows 10 to 7 & 8 - Similar Threads - Microsoft Brings Spying

2. Microsoft is bringing one of the new Windows 11 features to Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is bringing one of the new Windows 11 features to Windows 10: Microsoft is bringing Windows 11’s new printing capabilities to Windows 10 as it remains fully committed to the old operating system. Microsoft has previously stated that a “scoped set of features” will be delivered to Windows 10 over the coming months/years. The new printing...
  3. Microsoft brings Android apps to Windows 10 with new feature

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft brings Android apps to Windows 10 with new feature: Microsoft understands that are a lot of valid reasons why someone would want to run Android apps on their Windows 10 computers. Later this year, Microsoft says it will allow Android users to stream their Android apps directly to a PC and you’ll be able to do it using the Your...
  4. Windows 10 v2004 brings back Windows 7 era Bluetooth feature

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 v2004 brings back Windows 7 era Bluetooth feature: Windows 10 version 2004 (May 2020 Update) reintroduces support for Bluetooth A2DP sink, which allows users to stream music from phone to PC speakers over Bluetooth connection. Back in the old days, Windows 7 supported Bluetooth A2DP sink, which allowed you to receive audio...
  5. Windows 10, 8, or 7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10, 8, or 7: Can Windows 10, 8, or 7 be installed on a MacBook Pro laptop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-8-or-7/1b2b0ef2-d4e9-494a-afda-ab7773e1ea39
  6. Microsoft Spying??

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft Spying??: Noticed that when the latest updates were downloaded, the message stated it knew my hours when I use my pc. I want to stop Mircosoft from spying on my usage. How do I do this?...
  7. Microsoft is bringing Chromium-based Edge to Windows 10, 8, 7 and macOS

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is bringing Chromium-based Edge to Windows 10, 8, 7 and macOS: There were rumours claiming that Edge browser will go cross-platform and use Chromium’s Blink rendering engine soon. Today, Microsoft officially announced that Edge will ditch EdgeHTML rendering engine to become a part of the Chromium family. Microsoft is rebuilding the Edge...
  8. Microsoft is reportedly bringing Windows 10 Timeline feature to web

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is reportedly bringing Windows 10 Timeline feature to web: Microsoft is working on bringing Windows 10 Timeline feature to the web. Windows 10 Timeline coming to the web means that users will be able to access the Timeline activities from Microsoft’s website. Microsoft introduced Timeline with Windows 10 April 2018 Update or Windows...
  9. 7-8-10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    7-8-10: I see many posts of issues with upgrades. I just wanted to share that its not all bad news with respect to 10 upgrades. I cleaned up my windows 8 install a big, removed some software I no longer used, and upgraded my 8.1 to 10 with no issues. Also like to note this is my...
  10. No, Microsoft is not spying on you with Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    No, Microsoft is not spying on you with Windows 10: No, Microsoft is not spying on you with Windows 10 The Windows 10 privacy agreement doesn't mean Microsoft is secretly stealing the data from your hard disk. Where do people come up with these crazy ideas? By Ed Bott for The Ed Bott Report | August 27, 2015 -- 20:41...