Windows 10: Microsoft Brings Their Spying Features From Windows 10 to 7 & 8

Discus and support Microsoft Brings Their Spying Features From Windows 10 to 7 & 8 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; If you REALLY think telemetry data (i.e. the mouse clicks and the files associated that prompt UAC controls) is spying you, you need to go wear a tin... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Ninetailz, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Microsoft Brings Their Spying Features From Windows 10 to 7 & 8

If you REALLY think telemetry data (i.e. the mouse clicks and the files associated that prompt UAC controls) is spying you, you need to go wear a tin hat for the rest of your life.

This has been a part of Windows since forever. The system actively gathers data about how you use your PC and sends it back to Microsoft. No, it's not your internet history or what's installed on your PC and what software you've pirated. It's about how figuring out what parts of the OS are being used and what's not and what could use improvement. That telemetry data was what led to some of the design considerations of Windows 8, such as a lowered emphasis on the Desktop because the vast majority of activity from the vast majority of Windows users is something internet based, not file based.

There are bigger things to worry about privacy wise than a software company improving the way their product is used.

Coke Robot, Aug 31, 2015

2. I had a feeling it was something like that, no big deal. Been there done that.

alphanumeric, Aug 31, 2015
  3. It's only the upgrade that's free and that's a limited time offer. If you buy a PC with Windows 10 preinstalled, its not free, Microsoft makes revenue off of that sale. Upgrade XP or Vista to Windows 10, you pay for the upgrade. Build a new PC and want Windows 10, your paying for it. Wait until the free upgrade offer expires, still want to upgrade, your paying for it. Etc. Microsoft is going to make money off of Windows 10 just like they do with any other OS they've released.

4. Kyhi Win User

Microsoft Brings Their Spying Features From Windows 10 to 7 & 8

MS is forcing the upgrade upon everybody... I already upgraded to 10, removed windows 10 because to many problems or issues, so I clean installed windows 8.1, Blocked GWX and so on..

Here are the latest results.. Notice MS has it as an Important Update !! What The ?? Really..
    Important to who ?? Not me or many other windows users...

Microsoft Brings Their Spying Features From Windows 10 to 7 & 8 [​IMG]

5. Very well put. Why is this so hard for some people to understand?

Cristopher, Aug 31, 2015
  6. Some people have a pre conceived notion that just gets reinforced with all these unsubstantiated claims. Even if Microsoft is upfront about what they are doing its branded as lies and deceit. They are going to believe what they want to believe and you can't change that. Some just can't ever admit that they are wrong about something, even when presented with the facts. Add to that, if you repeat something often enough it gets perceived as fact. And there will always be somebody intent on fanning the flams.

7. These kinds of debates all center around the definitions used of the terms. What to one person is "spying", to another person is "collecting telemetry data". As long as there is no agreed-upon definition, the debates continue on and the two opposing sides just dig in, defending their points of view.

It's not oppositional points of view that gets threads closed; instead, it's folks resorting the name-calling and insulting conduct.

Mark Phelps, Aug 31, 2015
  8. Microsoft Brings Their Spying Features From Windows 10 to 7 & 8

It led to the debacle that is the W8 series.

So MS are going to sell improved versions of W7 & the W8 series?
    That will really help sales of W10. *sarc

Fallacy of Relative Privation
    List of fallacies - Wikipedia

lehnerus2000, Aug 31, 2015
  9. fredc Win User
    Yup , no need to name call and insult , it's perfectly healthy and acceptable behavior to think your opposition are as "dumb as dumb gets" , just don't post it for everyone to see thats all .

fredc, Aug 31, 2015
  10. groze Win User
    Here is a simple question. I am not arguing which side is right or wrong. If Microsoft can download something to block software. How does Microsoft know your using pirated software from a 3rd party in the first place (For the record I don't)? I see this as a dangerous precedence if they can block software like that, whats to stop then from blocking legit software like firefox, google chrome, opera, palemoon, waterfox, etc..?

On a side issue,

There is another problem. At first Microsoft claimed all your software that you have installed on 8.1 or 7 would work on windows 10. That didn't last long. There is a lot of software that can't run on 10. There is another thread on here that list what can run on 10.

groze, Aug 31, 2015
  11. Kari Win User
    Had to do some work with Terminal in CentOS Linux. I have never installed Firefox by myself, I only have had it if a Linux distro installs it by default. I don't normally use my Linux virtual machines for net surfing but now decided to check the forums using Firefox which I don't like , and noticed this:

Microsoft Brings Their Spying Features From Windows 10 to 7 & 8 [​IMG]

Made me laugh so that my stomach hurts. Funny that nobody is complaining about that *Smile

12. And that debacle lead into Windows 10, Windows 8.1 with a configurable Start Screen.

No. What do you think Windows 10 is? It's 7 and 8.1 mixed together. Get the telemetry data from those users, take back and analyze it to further refine the UI/UX of 10.

Coke Robot, Aug 31, 2015
  13. Microsoft Brings Their Spying Features From Windows 10 to 7 & 8

Coke Robot, Aug 31, 2015
  14. sgage Win User
    Well, they tell you right then and there what they're doing, and give you the chance right up front to just turn it off - and then it's off and stays off. There's a difference. It's not OS-wide, and it's not ambiguous. You try to turn off various 'telemetry' options in Windows, and it seems to keep sending stuff to MS. And retro-fitting 7 and 8.1 to do the same thing is a bit dodgy, too. No one really knows what MS is doing with our 'telemetry' - I think that's the problem folks are having.

Google, on the other hand, is quite worrisome to me. And plenty of people have raised issues about it, all over the world.

sgage, Aug 31, 2015
  15. Emma Win User
    If Google only collects marketing info, why has the government been making them change some things, like the agreements we have to sign. The government made them rewrite it so everyone can understand it. Why did it cost Google big bucks in Canada for the info they got from the Canadian Pharmacies and misused.

I will always have a Windows PC because I play games and I can't do that on a Mac. I am not an MS hater, I just got the strange idea that the computer is mine, I paid $900 + for it and no one has the right to come in and take info. I can take care of myself and my computer, I don't need big brother to do that. I like to read in the MS "ask" section, but can't post in there because I need an MS account which includes my phone number, 2 emails and of course my name. Then after I am in a pop up eventually comes up with wanting to secure my account with more info. I couldn't cancel the messed up accounts so I changed my email addresses. Then I just blocked what I could regarding MS and forgot it.

Thema:

Microsoft Brings Their Spying Features From Windows 10 to 7 & 8

1. Microsoft Brings Their Spying Features From Windows 10 to 7 & 8 - Similar Threads - Microsoft Brings Spying

2. How to bring this feature from Windows 7?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to bring this feature from Windows 7?: How to bring the Action Center Windows 7 to Windows 10?This is what I am talking about: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-bring-this-feature-from-windows-7/1f6b443c-1d9d-4b9f-8d4e-6f8af9874b60
  3. How to bring this feature from Windows 7?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to bring this feature from Windows 7?: How to bring the Action Center Windows 7 to Windows 10?This is what I am talking about: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-bring-this-feature-from-windows-7/1f6b443c-1d9d-4b9f-8d4e-6f8af9874b60
  4. How to bring this feature from Windows 7?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Microsoft brings Android apps to Windows 10 with new feature

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft brings Android apps to Windows 10 with new feature: Microsoft understands that are a lot of valid reasons why someone would want to run Android apps on their Windows 10 computers. Later this year, Microsoft says it will allow Android users to stream their Android apps directly to a PC and you’ll be able to do it using the Your...
  6. Windows 10 v2004 brings back Windows 7 era Bluetooth feature

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 v2004 brings back Windows 7 era Bluetooth feature: Windows 10 version 2004 (May 2020 Update) reintroduces support for Bluetooth A2DP sink, which allows users to stream music from phone to PC speakers over Bluetooth connection. Back in the old days, Windows 7 supported Bluetooth A2DP sink, which allowed you to receive audio...
  7. Microsoft Spying??

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft Spying??: Noticed that when the latest updates were downloaded, the message stated it knew my hours when I use my pc. I want to stop Mircosoft from spying on my usage. How do I do this?...
  8. Microsoft is bringing Chromium-based Edge to Windows 10, 8, 7 and macOS

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is bringing Chromium-based Edge to Windows 10, 8, 7 and macOS: There were rumours claiming that Edge browser will go cross-platform and use Chromium’s Blink rendering engine soon. Today, Microsoft officially announced that Edge will ditch EdgeHTML rendering engine to become a part of the Chromium family. Microsoft is rebuilding the Edge...
  9. Microsoft is reportedly bringing Windows 10 Timeline feature to web

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is reportedly bringing Windows 10 Timeline feature to web: Microsoft is working on bringing Windows 10 Timeline feature to the web. Windows 10 Timeline coming to the web means that users will be able to access the Timeline activities from Microsoft’s website. Microsoft introduced Timeline with Windows 10 April 2018 Update or Windows...
  10. No, Microsoft is not spying on you with Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    No, Microsoft is not spying on you with Windows 10: No, Microsoft is not spying on you with Windows 10 The Windows 10 privacy agreement doesn't mean Microsoft is secretly stealing the data from your hard disk. Where do people come up with these crazy ideas? By Ed Bott for The Ed Bott Report | August 27, 2015 -- 20:41...