Windows 10: Microsoft Brings Their Spying Features From Windows 10 to 7 & 8

Discus and support Microsoft Brings Their Spying Features From Windows 10 to 7 & 8 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; I use the vista printer drivers on my win7 x64 installation. Easy, just use device manager,rt click the printer>select update driver>browse my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Ninetailz, Aug 30, 2015.

1. SIW2 Win User

Microsoft Brings Their Spying Features From Windows 10 to 7 & 8

I use the vista printer drivers on my win7 x64 installation.

Easy, just use device manager,rt click the printer>select update driver>browse my computer > browse to vista\system32\driverstore\filerepository and it should pick them .

If you don't have vista installed, you can mount the iso and browse to the mounted drive.

2. Lebon14 Win User

Deleted all these updates, hid them and cleanned the updates using disk cleanup. Microsoft. That's super shady! Even older systems! Hopefully there isn't an other articles that discovers that these updates stay even if you uninstall them. If I find out, I'll be wiping Windows and start fresh WITHOUT installing these (optional) updates.

FFS.

Lebon14, Aug 31, 2015
  3. hawkman Win User
    When i get round to running the "Public" version, still an insider, I'l start to customise it as i have with W7.

Will turn updates to, LET ME decide, more importantly see what the update does,
    turn off Customer experience, and so on.

Attn Kari, see screenshot

Roy

hawkman, Sep 1, 2015
  4. Kari Win User

Attn Hawkman, yes. Your point is? That it's OK for Firefox to collect data and send it to Mozilla because the user can disable it, but it's not OK that MS is doing the same although that can also be disabled? Was that your point? Collecting user data and "calling home" is OK as long as it is not MS doing it?

OK, got your point.

5. Why can't you just uninstall the updates???

shipinomore10, Sep 1, 2015
  6. groze Win User
    From reading other websites we are not sure all of the privacy issues can be disabled without really hacking the registry in windows 10.

groze, Sep 1, 2015
  7. And this is the Point!

I think a registry hack is not enough, because so my own opinion, the most hidden backdoors are in encrypted files. And in the most countrys reverse Engineering is illegal. And the Copyright from Microsoft don`t allow any Manipulation.

Cluster Head, Sep 1, 2015
  8. Microsoft Brings Their Spying Features From Windows 10 to 7 & 8

I think they're bringing data collection to Windows 7 & 8 because a lot of concern and negative media is being written about Microsoft collecting personal information/data with Windows10. This is keeping quite a few people from upgrading from Win 7/8 to Win 10. If Microsoft puts these same controversial features on Windows 7/8, that's one obstacle removed from the list of reasons for not upgrading from 7/8 to 10.

AllenChicago, Sep 1, 2015
  9. FerchogtX Win User
    At least Firefox tells you that they collect data from you and leads you to the configurations for enabling or disabling it, and if you disable, you trully disable telemetry.

Microsoft lies, and tries to hide the privacy settings (at least akng it complicated to acess for average users) in several places, and even if you can turn that off, the OS still sends telemetry information, which you need to disable via registry settings, and even then, they still send data to Microsoft, then they cover their backs with their "on the law" terms and conditions. It' sthe same corp that said "Users need to be re-educated to know what they want" when Windows 8 was a total fail for PC users... Not to mention all those updates that bricked systems or made endless reboot loops... Imagining that on a system that hides the abiity to disable automatic updates it's a nightmare. MS demonstrates it cannot be trusted blindly, which is sad; I grew up with MS OSes, this makes me sad...

After Windows 7, MS has been doing nothing but fails, Windows 8 it's a fail with that stupid mobile stuff over PCs, Windows 10 now it's a fail because of abusive corporative practices... Users now are being fooled, do you like to be fooled? I do not, and I bet neither you...

Why MS... why are you betraying the users that have been with you since the beggining? Money? There is something over that... value, Windows is quickly loosing it for power users...

This is the reason people is ranting about this politics, is not about collecting data per se (which, while being done by others like google, which happen to give you switches to turn that off completely), but about trying to fool, hide information and treating you like a dork that doesn't know about PCs...

Jut my two cents...

FerchogtX, Sep 1, 2015
  10. It is not OK for:
    • <Insert Corporate Name Here> to do this
    • This code to be embedded in any software, as it can be accessed by anyone with the necessary skills, authorized or not (i.e. it's an unnecessary increase in Attack Surface)
    A superior solution (to the one I proposed earlier) is that the Data Collection code should be a separate plugin.

People who:
    • Want to be monitored can install it
    • Don't want to be monitored won't install it
    • Change their minds can uninstall it
    <Insert Corporate Name Here> could then loudly proclaim that they respect user privacy and security experts could confirm it, generating a lot of positive publicity.

End of problem. *Smile

<Insert Corporate Name Here> could still provide incentives to encourage everyone to install it.
    For example, MS could provide discounts for other software, like Office.

Note
    IMO, there is a difference between Consumer & Business versions and Test versions.
    Test versions (i.e. W10TP and W10IP) need to have telemetry features, so users would have to install the Data Collection plugin to be able to run those versions.

lehnerus2000, Sep 1, 2015
  11. BillyBob Win User
    What a load of rubbish, I think people who are sprouting this sort of nonsense need to take a couple of slugs of Whisky to settle down a bit and get back to reality.

BillyBob, Sep 1, 2015
  12. BunnyJ New Member
    I just find it funny that people who aren't using Win10 are posting in a WIn10 forum to just complain about MS in general. If ya got an issue with what MS is doing with 7/8 then post your concerns in either the 7 forums or 8 forums.

BunnyJ, Sep 1, 2015
  13. Kari Win User

About the above highlighted two word statement: Could you please provide a few example cases about these Microsoft lies. No "They say this but I think they do that" stuff but I mean real lies MS has told.

Keenly waiting your list.

14. Kari Win User
    I have been wondering the same, sadly those few times I have asked about it the threads have been closed or binned before I have got an answer.

Why are some users who have made it clear they dislike 10 and do not intend to use it so keen to post on a Windows 10 Forums about that? Do they think that as they are clever enough to see through the MS smokescreen and lies they have a responsibility to warn those users who naively think that Windows 10 is a good operating system and save their a**es before it's too late?

I like Windows 10, I have nothing against to be labeled as a Microsoft fanboy in general and a Windows fanboy in particular. I am 100% sure that MS does not read my documents and messages, listen my calls, follow my chats, go through my photos or check my browsing in order to cause me harm or to spy me. The data they will collect will be used to better my Windows user experience and Windows itself. Microsoft is not interested in my person, my data, to harm or blackmail me, They won't call my sister and tell about the negative way I described her in my email to my brother, they will not call my lady friend to tell that as soon as our Skype video chat where I complimented her new dress was over I called another friend telling how bloody ugly dress she had bought. In fact nobody at MS never hears and sees those chats, nobody at MS knows about my emails.

I am a part of the community which is helping to make Windows better. I got this marvelous OS for free on several computers by joining this community, becoming a Windows Insider. Only 5 weeks after the launch I am already using second Insider build released after that, a build to test the changes made since the launch. I am an Insider and will continue to do my part in this all. Testing, sending feedback, posting about those few minor bugs I have found.

Even if this Insider program would not exist I would allow my Windows computers to "call home". I have a habit always to check the boxes to join any customer experience program when a software installer asks if I want to do that. I am pleased to do that; the software makers provide me the operating systems and applications I need and want to use, I provide them access to my usage data to help them to make the next version even better.

15. BunnyJ New Member
    I totally agree Kari. I don't worry about MS and the information they gather from my PC usage. If I did I would be far crazier than I am already. While I agree that security is an issue people have to keep in mind that they're on .. well the internet and if you post, tag, Facebook, Tweet anything it's up for anyone to read and steal.. and that information is going to be around for a very long time.

Security starts with knowing what and what not to post on the Internet. Going around blaming MS/Google or anyone else is silly if you post important information on the Internet in the first place. IMO..

As for Windows.. I love it.. call me a fan boy.. I don't care. MS gave me a free upgrade to a wonderful new OS and I really like using it and participating in the insider program. I got to participate in the development of this OS and that's never really happened before to this extent and I thank MS for allowing us to have this program.

Now going back to what I posted and you replied to:
    1. If anyone is that concerned about security.. don't just complain. Make a thread with methods that others can use to help protect themselves. That would be far more helpful, IMO, that the hit and run complaint posts/threads.
    2. If you don't use or have used Win10 why post your complaints? Do you think that I or anyone else here that uses WIn10 really cares what you think?? Ah.. not a chance. *Wink

Lastly, use the OS you want to use.. tweak it to death for security or any other reasons, the bottom line for me is an OS is just a tool to run programs/apps.

My 2c for the day
    Jeff aka Citizen Z!! *Wink

BunnyJ, Sep 1, 2015
Thema:

1. Microsoft Brings Their Spying Features From Windows 10 to 7 & 8 - Similar Threads - Microsoft Brings Spying

2. Microsoft is bringing one of the new Windows 11 features to Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is bringing one of the new Windows 11 features to Windows 10: Microsoft is bringing Windows 11’s new printing capabilities to Windows 10 as it remains fully committed to the old operating system. Microsoft has previously stated that a “scoped set of features” will be delivered to Windows 10 over the coming months/years. The new printing...
  3. Microsoft brings Android apps to Windows 10 with new feature

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft brings Android apps to Windows 10 with new feature: Microsoft understands that are a lot of valid reasons why someone would want to run Android apps on their Windows 10 computers. Later this year, Microsoft says it will allow Android users to stream their Android apps directly to a PC and you’ll be able to do it using the Your...
  4. Windows 10 v2004 brings back Windows 7 era Bluetooth feature

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 v2004 brings back Windows 7 era Bluetooth feature: Windows 10 version 2004 (May 2020 Update) reintroduces support for Bluetooth A2DP sink, which allows users to stream music from phone to PC speakers over Bluetooth connection. Back in the old days, Windows 7 supported Bluetooth A2DP sink, which allowed you to receive audio...
  5. Windows 10, 8, or 7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10, 8, or 7: Can Windows 10, 8, or 7 be installed on a MacBook Pro laptop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-8-or-7/1b2b0ef2-d4e9-494a-afda-ab7773e1ea39
  6. Microsoft Spying??

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft Spying??: Noticed that when the latest updates were downloaded, the message stated it knew my hours when I use my pc. I want to stop Mircosoft from spying on my usage. How do I do this?...
  7. Microsoft is bringing Chromium-based Edge to Windows 10, 8, 7 and macOS

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is bringing Chromium-based Edge to Windows 10, 8, 7 and macOS: There were rumours claiming that Edge browser will go cross-platform and use Chromium’s Blink rendering engine soon. Today, Microsoft officially announced that Edge will ditch EdgeHTML rendering engine to become a part of the Chromium family. Microsoft is rebuilding the Edge...
  8. Microsoft is reportedly bringing Windows 10 Timeline feature to web

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is reportedly bringing Windows 10 Timeline feature to web: Microsoft is working on bringing Windows 10 Timeline feature to the web. Windows 10 Timeline coming to the web means that users will be able to access the Timeline activities from Microsoft’s website. Microsoft introduced Timeline with Windows 10 April 2018 Update or Windows...
  9. 7-8-10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    7-8-10: I see many posts of issues with upgrades. I just wanted to share that its not all bad news with respect to 10 upgrades. I cleaned up my windows 8 install a big, removed some software I no longer used, and upgraded my 8.1 to 10 with no issues. Also like to note this is my...
  10. No, Microsoft is not spying on you with Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    No, Microsoft is not spying on you with Windows 10: No, Microsoft is not spying on you with Windows 10 The Windows 10 privacy agreement doesn't mean Microsoft is secretly stealing the data from your hard disk. Where do people come up with these crazy ideas? By Ed Bott for The Ed Bott Report | August 27, 2015 -- 20:41...