Windows 10: Microsoft bumps minimum Windows 10 storage requirement to 32 Gigabytes

Discus and support Microsoft bumps minimum Windows 10 storage requirement to 32 Gigabytes in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Starting with Windows 10 version 1903, Windows 10 has a minimum storage requirement of 32 Gigabytes on the desktop. Whether a device may run Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Apr 26, 2019.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Microsoft bumps minimum Windows 10 storage requirement to 32 Gigabytes

Starting with Windows 10 version 1903, Windows 10 has a minimum storage requirement of 32 Gigabytes on the desktop.

Whether a device may run Windows 10 is determined by its hardware. Microsoft maintains a list of minimum hardware requirements for Windows 10 that defines certain types of hardware components or requirements that Windows 10 devices need to support.

The company notes that devices need to meet these requirements to boot and run Windows 10, update and service the operating system, and provide a "baseline user experience".

The specification is designed for hardware manufacturers, e.g. OEMs, ODMs or SoC vendors, for the most part, but it is useful to home users and administrators as well.

The minimum requirements for desktop editions of Windows 10 apply to all editions including Home, Pro, and Enterprise editions.

Processor and memory requirements have not changed. Windows 10 desktop editions require at least a 1 GHz processor or SoC that is compatible with x86 or x64 instruction sets, supports PAE, NX, and SSE2, and supports CMPXCHG16b, LAHF/SAHF, and PrefetchW for 64-bit operating system installations.

Microsoft bumps minimum Windows 10 storage requirement to 32 Gigabytes windows-10-1903-minimum-storage-requirement.png

Memory-wise, Windows 10 requires at least 1 Gigabyte of memory for 32-bit versions and 2 Gigabytes of memory for 64-bit versions.

The storage device size has been adjusted for Windows 10 version 1903. Previous versions of Windows, e.g. Windows 10 version 1809, required at least 16 Gigabytes of storage for 32-bit versions and 20 Gigabytes or greater for 64-bit versions.

Microsoft bumped the requirements to at least 32 Gigabytes for 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows 10 in Windows 10 version 1903. Minimum storage for 32-bit versions of Windows 10 is increased by 16 Gigabytes and for 64-bit versions of Windows 10 by 12 Gigabytes.

The requirements are designed to prevent manufacturers from making and selling devices with less than 32 Gigabytes of storage space.

Windows 10 will reserve several Gigabytes of storage by default in the coming version. If a device is sold with 32 Gigabytes of storage, several of the Gigabytes are reserved by default for system updates and other system storage functions. Administrators may disable reserved storage to make the storage available system wide.

Closing Words

32 Gigabytes is not a whole lot even for low end devices. It needs to be noted that tablets and 2-in-1s can run desktop mode as well, and that they are the most likely candidates when it comes to low storage.

Not many Windows 10 devices are sold with less than 32 Gigabytes of space; in fact, I could not find any device on Amazon that has less than 32 Gigabytes of storage. Even low end Mini PCs or tablets come with 32 Gigabytes of storage.

Updates, especially feature updates, are a big issue on low storage devices; a bump by 12 or 16 Gigabytes may address some of these issues. Granted, updates are not really that enjoyable on 32 Gigabyte devices either.

Now You: what is a good amount of storage for Windows 10?

Ghacks needs you. You can find out how to support us here or support the site directly by becoming a Patreon. Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Microsoft bumps minimum Windows 10 storage requirement to 32 Gigabytes appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Apr 26, 2019
  2. Brink Win User

Minimum hardware requirements for Windows 10 for phones and desktops

Read more: Microsoft sheds light on minimum hardware requirements for Windows 10 for phones and desktops | Windows Central

Microsoft bumps minimum Windows 10 storage requirement to 32 Gigabytes [​IMG]

Brink, Apr 26, 2019
  3. Microsoft details Minimum Hardware requirements for Anniversary Update

Microsoft details Minimum Hardware requirements for Anniversary Update

Source and more: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...=vs.85%29.aspx

Cluster Head, Apr 26, 2019
  4. MC10 Win User

What are the minimum requirements to run Windows 10?

There are no specific requirements to RTM. The specifications for Windows 10 are listed on the Microsoft site.

Thema:

1. Microsoft bumps minimum Windows 10 storage requirement to 32 Gigabytes - Similar Threads - Microsoft bumps minimum

2. Windows 11 minimum requirement

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 minimum requirement: Please I downloaded the PC health app to check if my PC was eligible for the windows 11 upgrade only to realise that the one requirement it failed at was an unsupported processor. This is quite strange to me because I use a Hp pavilion 15 with IntelR CoreTM i3-7100U @...
  3. Windows 11 minimum requirement

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 minimum requirement: Please I downloaded the PC health app to check if my PC was eligible for the windows 11 upgrade only to realise that the one requirement it failed at was an unsupported processor. This is quite strange to me because I use a Hp pavilion 15 with IntelR CoreTM i3-7100U @...
  4. Windows 11 Minimum requirements

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Minimum requirements: The Health Check says my processor doesn't meet minimum requirements, yet when I look it up its listed. Its intel core i7-6920HQ and I'm running Windows 10 21H1....
  5. Windows 11 Minimum requirements

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Minimum requirements: The Health Check says my processor doesn't meet minimum requirements, yet when I look it up its listed. Its intel core i7-6920HQ and I'm running Windows 10 21H1....
  6. minimum requirement for window 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    minimum requirement for window 10: Hello brother/sister i need your help i have LG S530-KAC30A2 laptop Processor: i3, CPU @ 2.10GHz 4GB/500GB. Currently i using window 8.1 now i want to use windows 10 please suggest me, will windows 10 work smoothly in my laptop and which...
  7. Minimum Requirements

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Minimum Requirements: I purchased MFS2020 and found that my computer does not meet the minimums. If I purchase a new computer will I be able to reload the Simulator on the new one without additional charge?...
  8. Minimum storage requirement increases for Windows 10 May 2019 Update

in Windows 10 News
    Minimum storage requirement increases for Windows 10 May 2019 Update: 3.3.1 Storage device size Devices that run Windows 10 for desktop editions must include a storage device that meets the size requirements shown in Table 12. Table 12: Storage size requirements for devices that run Windows 10 for desktop editions OS architecture OS version...
  9. Minimum requirements for rec.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Minimum requirements for rec.: What are the minimum requirements for recording with start+g in windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/games_windows_10/minimum-requirements-for-rec/7c5d4dcc-6eb7-4b62-bce7-ff68052e4a96
  10. your minimum requirement system in microsoft store

in Windows 10 Gaming
    your minimum requirement system in microsoft store: your system from microsoft store just see 4 core and 2.7Ghz for example... poor guys with a i5 6400T or 6400, it s not beat a i5 2600 2.7 Ghz cause it s a 4 core @ 2.2 Ghz or bug and see the 6400 like a 2.69 Ghz. then u get a warning message on the minimum require and close...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 storage requirement