Windows 10: Microsoft changed the Windows 11 System Requirements and released an updated PC Health...

Discus and support Microsoft changed the Windows 11 System Requirements and released an updated PC Health... in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft published an update on the Windows 11 minimum system requirements yesterday on the Windows Insider blog. When the company unveiled Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Aug 28, 2021.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Microsoft changed the Windows 11 System Requirements and released an updated PC Health...

Microsoft published an update on the Windows 11 minimum system requirements yesterday on the Windows Insider blog.

When the company unveiled Windows 11 and its minimum system requirements, it became clear quickly that many systems that were running the company's Windows 10 operating system would be blocked from upgrading to Windows 11 because of hardware requirements.

Microsoft released the PC Health Check tool at the time, which allowed Windows administrators to check whether a device is compatible with Windows 11.

Microsoft changed the Windows 11 System Requirements and released an updated PC Health... updated-pc-health-check-tool.png

The two requirements that would prevent many systems from being upgraded to Windows 11 were the processor and secure boot/TPM.

Microsoft pulled the tool shortly after its original release and announced that it would work on it and consider modifying system requirements of the new operating system.

Yesterday's post highlights the changes that Microsoft has decided upon. A new version of the PC Health Tool has been released to reflect these.

A small set of 7th generation Intel processors has been added to the compatibility list of Windows 11.

• Intel® Core™ X-series, Xeon® W-series
    • Intel® Core™ 7820HQ (only select devices that shipped with modern drivers based on Declarative, Componentized, Hardware Support Apps (DCH) design principles, including Surface Studio 2)

The addition is the only change. All other requirements, 4 GB of memory, 64 GB of storage, UEFI secure boot, graphics requirements and TPM 2.0 are still requirements.

A large part of the post on the Windows blog provides reasoning for Microsoft's decision. It is a long read, but here is a summary of the points that Microsoft makes (some based on Telemetry):

• 52% more Kernel mode crashes for incompatible devices.
    • 99.8% crash free experience for devices that met the system requirements.
    • 17% more hangs on unsupported hardware.
    • 43% more application crashes on incompatible hardware.
    • Improved baseline of Windows security.
    • 67% fewer compromises of organizations that disable legacy authentication.
    • Better compatibility with "most commonly used apps".

Windows Insiders can download the updated PC Health Check application already. Microsoft plans to make it available to the general public in the coming weeks.

Closing Words

Windows customers who hoped that Microsoft would add all 7th generation CPUs to the list of compatible processors will be disappointed by Microsoft's announcement. The list of processors added in the update is small, and while it means that some of Microsoft's own Surface devices are now compatible with Windows 11, it still blocks a lot of devices from being upgraded to Windows 11 using Windows Update (including my trusted Surface Go device).

System requirements did not really change all that much from Windows release to Windows release. Windows 7, for example, required a 1 GHz processor, 1 GB of RAM, 16 GB of storage space and a DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 at the minimum. Windows 10, released 6 years after Windows 7, has the same minimum requirements.

Windows 11 changes that, and the decision will block a lot of systems from upgrading to Windows 11. All that talk about ensuring compatibility ignores devices that are not compatible with Windows 11, because of Microsoft's requirements. Windows used to be a system that you could install on very old devices, and it worked; this changes with Windows 11.

Windows 10 will be supported until 2025 by Microsoft, but the operating system seems to be in the extended support phase already as Microsoft focuses most development resources on Windows 11.

Sources indicate that administrators may use ISO images to upgrade devices that don't meet the processor requirements to Windows 11.

Microsoft is in a precarious position. The new minimum requirements of Windows 11 reduce the number of crashes and issues that customers will experience, but it will also block a large part of the community from upgrading. Will these purchase new devices, as Microsoft hopes, to get Windows 11 on these devices? What is going to happen in 2025 when support for Windows 10 runs out? These devices won't be able to run a supported version of Windows, and that leaves a Linux distribution as the logical choice.

Now You: why is Microsoft cutting a line in the sand when it comes to compatibility?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Microsoft changed the Windows 11 System Requirements and released an updated PC Health Check tool appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Aug 28, 2021
  2. Brink Win User

Update on Windows 11 minimum system requirements

Source: Update on Windows 11 minimum system requirements | Windows Insider Blog

Why not check out our new Windows 11 Forum? - www.elevenforum.com

Brink, Aug 28, 2021
  3. bobkn Win User
    PC Health Check - Windows 11

To give a short answer, neither PC has a CPU that's on the current approved list.

Your desktop has a Gen 4 CPU. Win11 requires a Gen 8 or later. I hope that changes before release.

bobkn, Aug 28, 2021
  4. Microsoft changed the Windows 11 System Requirements and released an updated PC Health...

DiRT 2 PC System Requirements Released

Well these seem to be pretty moderate. I can't wait to see some members of TPU to post some sweet DX11 screens.

Source

TheMailMan78, Aug 28, 2021
Thema:

Microsoft changed the Windows 11 System Requirements and released an updated PC Health...

1. Microsoft changed the Windows 11 System Requirements and released an updated PC Health... - Similar Threads - Microsoft changed System

2. PC Health Check reports "This PC meets Windows 11 requirements" but Windows Update gives...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC Health Check reports "This PC meets Windows 11 requirements" but Windows Update gives...: As shown below PC meets Windows 11 requirements:Core i9-9900, 16GB RAMWindows 11 Pro 21H22 OS Build 22000.978Repeating update attempt gives same result.Attempting installation from ISO gives "Sorry, we're having trouble determining if your PC can run Windows 11. Please close...
  3. PC Health Check reports "This PC meets Windows 11 requirements" but Windows Update gives...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC Health Check reports "This PC meets Windows 11 requirements" but Windows Update gives...: As shown below PC meets Windows 11 requirements:Core i9-9900, 16GB RAMWindows 11 Pro 21H22 OS Build 22000.978Repeating update attempt gives same result.Attempting installation from ISO gives "Sorry, we're having trouble determining if your PC can run Windows 11. Please close...
  4. PC Health Check vs Windows Update for Windows 11 Requirements

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC Health Check vs Windows Update for Windows 11 Requirements: PC Health Check seems to say that all the requirements are satisfied to install windows 11 while Windows Update says something different. Do anyone know how is this possible? Thanks!...
  5. PC Health Check vs Windows Update for Windows 11 Requirements

PC Health Check vs Windows Update for Windows 11 Requirements: PC Health Check seems to say that all the requirements are satisfied to install windows 11 while Windows Update says something different. Do anyone know how is this possible? Thanks!...
  6. PC Health Check vs Windows Update for Windows 11 Requirements

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. PC doesn't currently meet all the system requirements for Windows 11 but PC Health Check...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC doesn't currently meet all the system requirements for Windows 11 but PC Health Check...: Hello all,Yesterday I have seen such a message in my Windows Update Center. I downloaded a PC Health Check but this software said that my PC is OK for Windows 11.In the screenshot, you can check this problem. How can I solve it in my Windows Update?...
  8. PC doesn't currently meet all the system requirements for Windows 11 but PC Health Check...

PC doesn't currently meet all the system requirements for Windows 11 but PC Health Check...: Hello all,Yesterday I have seen such a message in my Windows Update Center. I downloaded a PC Health Check but this software said that my PC is OK for Windows 11.In the screenshot, you can check this problem. How can I solve it in my Windows Update?...
  9. PC HEALTH MEETS WINDOWS 11 REQUIREMENTS BUT WINDOWS UPDATE DOESN'T

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC HEALTH MEETS WINDOWS 11 REQUIREMENTS BUT WINDOWS UPDATE DOESN'T: PC HEALTH MEETS WINDOWS 11 REQUIREMENTS BUT WINDOWS UPDATE DOESN'T https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-health-meets-windows-11-requirements-but/e30b7570-e1b1-463b-8717-9da965806654
  10. PC HEALTH MEETS WINDOWS 11 REQUIREMENTS BUT WINDOWS UPDATE DOESN'T

PC HEALTH MEETS WINDOWS 11 REQUIREMENTS BUT WINDOWS UPDATE DOESN'T: PC HEALTH MEETS WINDOWS 11 REQUIREMENTS BUT WINDOWS UPDATE DOESN'T https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-health-meets-windows-11-requirements-but/e30b7570-e1b1-463b-8717-9da965806654