Windows 10: Microsoft changes the way Windows 10 handles USB storage devices

Discus and support Microsoft changes the way Windows 10 handles USB storage devices in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; The chances of data corruption are higher if you disconnect USB storage device such as a USB flash drive (pendrive), USB thumb drive,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Apr 7, 2019.

1. WinLatest New Member

Microsoft changes the way Windows 10 handles USB storage devices

The chances of data corruption are higher if you disconnect USB storage device such as a USB flash drive (pendrive), USB thumb drive, Thunderbolt-enabled external drives, external hard disks before making sure it’s safe to do so. In some cases, the sudden removal of a storage device might corrupt files.

To avoid corruption of the data stored in the USB storage device, the users have always used the Safely Remove Hardware icon before unplugging a USB device.

In any version of Windows, the system optimizes USB flash drives for quick removal by default. But for many other USB storage devices, the default removal policy has always been “Better performance” setting.

Starting with Windows 10 October 2018 Update and newer, the default option for all USB storage device is “Quick removal”. In a support doc, Microsoft has confirmed that it has changed the way Windows interacts with external storage devices.

Quick Removal and Better Performance

Quick Removal, which is now the default option, minimizes the chances of data corruption in day-to-day use. However, Quick Removal decreases USB performance of the device.

When Quick Removal is turned on, you can remove the device without using the Safely Remove Hardware process. It makes the process safer but slower at the same time.

Better Performance option, on the other hand, allows Windows to cache data instead of writing it to the USB device immediately. As a result, the performance of the device is better. But data corruption is much more likely if you unplug the USB device without using the Safely Remove Hardware option.

Advanced users can always switch between the two options from the settings. To change the policy for an external storage device, you can follow the steps outlined below:

• Connect the USB storage device to the system.
    • After noting the driver letter for the storage device, open Disk Management.
    • Locate the USB storage device and right-click on it.
    • Select Properties.
    • Select Policies and you can select the policy you want to use.

Microsoft changes the way Windows 10 handles USB storage devices USB-storage-policy.jpg

To summarize the changes, the default state for all USB storage devices has become “Quick removal” to ensure data safety. You can always change the way Windows interacts with external storage devices by following the above steps.

If you select “Better performance” over Quick Removal, you must also follow the “Safely Remove Hardware” process.

The post Microsoft changes the way Windows 10 handles USB storage devices appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Apr 7, 2019
  2. 95Viper Win User

Update to increase the maximum transfer size of USB storage devices in Windows 7...

This is an Microsoft Windows 7 or Server 2008 R2 update that may improve performance of USB transfers. Now they do say, "for some":
    How? Well per Microsoft:
    Now, you do need to read the Hotfix article, here > An update to increase the maximum transfer size of USB storage devices in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2

Now, after you apply this hotfix, you will need to do some registry editing.
    So, back up your registry before proceeding. And, also, you do this at your own risk; as always... anything can go wrong at anytime, even in the most perfect circumstances.

This registry edit is, also, covered in the hotfix:

After you install this update, to increase the maximum transfer size of USB storage devices, follow these steps:
    ‪1.‬Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.
    ‪2.‬Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    ‪3.‬HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\usbstor\VVVV PPPP
    ‪4.‬Click Edit, point to New, and then click DWORDValue.
    ‪5.‬Type MaximumTransferLength, and then press Enter.
    ‪6.‬Click Edit, and then click Modify.
    ‪7.‬In the Value data box, type a value to specify the maximum transfer size between 64KB and 2MB. For example, you select Decimal and type a value between 65535 (64K) and 2097120 (2M).
    ‪8.‬Exit Registry Editor.

Notes
    VVVV represents device descriptor idVendor in hexadecimal.
    PPPP represents device descriptor idProduct in hexadecimal.

To get this update, you will need to click the "View and Request Hotfix Downloads" at the top portion of the page. Follow the instructions, like, fill out the info and check the files you want to download. They will send an email to with the links.

Happy updating and may it improve your USB storage device's performance. *Smile Microsoft changes the way Windows 10 handles USB storage devices :)

95Viper, Apr 7, 2019
  3. Arun B J Win User
    Windows 10 Home will not boot or restart with USB Storage Spaces pool drives attached

Hi George,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

• Did you make any changes in BIOS?

• Are you getting any error message?
    I suggest you to update Storage controller drivers and check if it helps.

Steps 1:

• Press Windows key + X.

• Select Device manager.

• Expand Storage controller.

• Right click on the driver and Update the drivers.

Steps 2: Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue
    is with device. Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.

• Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.

• Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.

• Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Arun B J, Apr 7, 2019
  4. Microsoft changes the way Windows 10 handles USB storage devices

how to Block USB storage on Windows 10 Computers

Requirement :- Block All usb storage media and provide access to only company provided USB storage device(maximum of 10)

Preference :- Group policy ,Defender ,ATP

User count :- Apprx 30K

Antivirus :- Windows defender

Kindly suggest whether below task can be accomplished using group policy or any alternate way,if yes,please help me required steps

rahul1991ZC, Apr 7, 2019
Thema:

Microsoft changes the way Windows 10 handles USB storage devices

1. Microsoft changes the way Windows 10 handles USB storage devices - Similar Threads - Microsoft changes handles

2. "Generic MassStorageClass USB Device" VS. "USB Mass Storage Device USB Device"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "Generic MassStorageClass USB Device" VS. "USB Mass Storage Device USB Device": I have a piece of software that I MUST use to make flash cards for some equipment. The flash cards are essentially the equipment's hard drive and they have a mix of Linux and Windows partitions. Here is the problem I'm having...I have a flash card reader made by Onn that...
  3. "Generic MassStorageClass USB Device" VS. "USB Mass Storage Device USB Device"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Generic MassStorageClass USB Device" VS. "USB Mass Storage Device USB Device": I have a piece of software that I MUST use to make flash cards for some equipment. The flash cards are essentially the equipment's hard drive and they have a mix of Linux and Windows partitions. Here is the problem I'm having...I have a flash card reader made by Onn that...
  4. "Generic MassStorageClass USB Device" VS. "USB Mass Storage Device USB Device"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. USB Mass Storage Device problem

USB Mass Storage Device problem: Hello,I have a problem with any flash drive or external drive on my Windows 11 PC, When I first boot up the PC the USB ports, the flash drive, and external drives work fine, but as soon as I unplug them and plug them back in they don't show up in the File Explorer and a...
  6. Windows 10 USB device handling is rubbish

Windows 10 USB device handling is rubbish: Why has this happened? Every single time I plug in a thumb drive I get the same inane message 'this device needs to be repaired' - scan it and it always says 'No problem found' Why? Why does it now take 40 minutes to copy a couple of Gig to a flash drive? Why do we...
  7. Windows 10 showing USB storage device that does not exist

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 showing USB storage device that does not exist: Hello. A week ago i made a new install of windows 10 using a usb pen with windows installation media. Since that installation i have an icon saying that i can safely remove hardware and eject media. Problem is that there is no physical drive connected. If i click this...
  8. USB STORAGE DEVICE

USB STORAGE DEVICE: I've saved all my documents and pictures on my old computer onto a USB memory stick so I could transfer to my new computer, but the memory device isn't showing up when I plug into the new computer....
  9. USB Storage Devices

USB Storage Devices: I've been using Win10 since the general release. This was an update install on a Win7 laptop. Apart from a few issues (waking from sleep on scheduled tasks, lack of control on updates) I have a problem with external devices. If I use several USB flash drives/harddrive I'm...
  10. Weird "Generic STORAGE DEVICE USB Device"

in Windows 10 Support
    Weird "Generic STORAGE DEVICE USB Device": So I finally decided to do something about this. There is always a Safely Remove icon on my taskbar, so I click it and there is nothing to remove. In Device manager, it is also present under Disk Drives. Even under my computer there is a disk drive with the letter "D" that...