Windows 10: Microsoft changes Windows Update for Business options

Discus and support Microsoft changes Windows Update for Business options in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft employee John Wilcox revealed yesterday that Microsoft will remove the Semi-Annual Channel (Targeted) option from Windows Update from Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Feb 15, 2019.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Microsoft changes Windows Update for Business options

Microsoft employee John Wilcox revealed yesterday that Microsoft will remove the Semi-Annual Channel (Targeted) option from Windows Update from Windows 10 version 1903 forward.

Business customers have two options right now to define when updates get released: they may set a deferral period for feature updates and select between the Semi-Annual Channel or Semi-Annual Channel (Targeted). The latter two options may sound confusing at first but are explained easily.

Semi-Annual Channel is what consumers get. It is the only option and that just means that two feature updates of Windows 10 are delivered via Windows Update to consumer devices each year.

Businesses had the option to delay when feature updates become available by switching to the Semi-Annual Channel (Targeted) instead. All that this channel did was delay the update availability. Starting in Windows 10 version 1903, that option won't be available anymore but the option to delay feature updates remains.

Microsoft changes Windows Update for Business options wufb-branch-readiness-1903.png

If you open the Advanced Options on a business version of Windows 10 version 1903 or later, you will notice that the option to switch channels has been removed.

While that may look like another attempt of Microsoft to give businesses less choice, it is not really that bad provided that administrators know about this and can react to it as it is easy enough to adjust the deferral period accordingly.

Wilcox notes that there was never a dedicated Semi-Annual Channel (Targeted) release but just a milestone release of the Semi-Annual Channel.

What administrators need to do in Windows 10 version 1903 is to adjust the deferral period accordingly to add the removed Semi-Annual Channel (Targeted) delay period that way. Just add 60 or 90 days to the deferral period once Windows 10 version 1903 is installed to reflect the change.

Devices configured with a branch readiness of Semi-Annual Channel will get the upgrade to Windows 10 version 1903 with a delay of 60 days according to Microsoft for that release only. The change will be server-side and only active for that particular release; it won't affect any release after Windows 10 version 1903.

Closing Words

The removal of Semi-Annual Channel (Targeted) may have an impact on devices after the release of Windows 10 version 1903 but only if the administrator does not modify the deferral period.

It could result in feature updates being delivered earlier than expected to Windows for Business devices; Woody Leonhard hopes that the change results in release quality improvements to take the possibility into account.

Microsoft did not state that and it is almost certain that the company would have pushed the narrative if that would be the case (hey, look, we don't need Semi-Annual Channel (Targeted) anymore because feature update quality increased by this much). I think it is just a consolidation.

Now You: Do you defer or block Windows Updates?

Ghacks needs you. You can find out how to support us here or support the site directly by becoming a Patreon. Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Microsoft changes Windows Update for Business options appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Feb 15, 2019
  2. jbailey8 Win User

HyperSLI (Enabling SLI on non-sli motherboards)

To turn off windows updates in windows 7 follow these steps:

Click the start button, in the search box type in 'windows updates', click on 'windows update'
    in the search results list, in the left side of the windows update window click 'change settings'
    then in the option bar select 'Never check for updates'.

jbailey8, Feb 15, 2019
  3. Microsoft Botches Up UEFI Support for Windows 7 on ASUS Motherboards

Microsoft changes Windows Update for Business options [​IMG]

Microsoft suggests updating to Windows 10 to patch Windows 7
    • Tweet
    • Facebook
    • Google plus
    • Send to
    9 Comments

MICROSOFT HAS confirmed a potentially lappy-borking problem that it won't be fixing, because Windows 7.

Woody Leonhard, the respected Windows columnist, points to a problem involving Asus motherboards, which also appear rebadged in a variety of other manufacturers' machines, and the activation of UEFI Secure Boot for Windows 7 in a patch KB3133977.

Short version: install update, welcome to Borksville, population you.

Both Asus and Microsoft acknowledged the problem. Microsoft entitled the article "BitLocker can't encrypt drives because of service crashes in svchost.exe process in Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2", but we prefer to just call it "Trevor for brevity."

The firm's advice was that it's an optional update, leave well alone, you'll be fine, or alternatively turn secure boot off.

Then Microsoft did a silly, silly thing.

It moved the update from 'optional' to 'recommended' and anyone who reads this site regularly will know what happens when Microsoft does this. That's right boys and girls - it makes it automatically install, unless you've specifically told your machine not to.

So now, if you have one of the affected motherboard and you keep your security updates automatic like wot Microsoft recommends, then your machine will stop working properly.

We should add it's not permanently bricked, but it will take some mucking about in the BIOS to fix and that's a pain even for an experienced computer user.

Microsoft has, by offering a workaround, suggested heavily that it won't be fixing the problem, though we have asked the question, so expect a response in about a fortnight.

But the real kicker is this piece of advice: "Note The Secure Boot feature is supported in Windows 10. To learn more about the security advantages of this feature and about the upgrade path from Windows 7 to Windows 10, go to the following Windows website"

Holy toledo, this company really knows how to rub people up the wrong way.

After all - if the advice is to manually avoid the update or move to a version of the operating system where there's virtually no control over updates, then Microsoft is dealing in massive contradictions.

A more cynical site would suggest that it's yet another example of Microsoft running Windows 7 into the ground and adding built in obsolescence to encourage quicker updates. But we're not that sort of site.

Its the patching to force secure boot that is the problem win 7 does not support secure boot
    hence it borks systems and well microsofts answer is Cactus >your Asshole > insert

from the inquirer

dorsetknob, Feb 15, 2019
  4. Microsoft changes Windows Update for Business options

Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Feb 15, 2019
Thema:

Microsoft changes Windows Update for Business options

1. Microsoft changes Windows Update for Business options - Similar Threads - Microsoft changes Update

2. Microsoft for small business

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft for small business: I want to suggest that creates a Microsoft small business user ID so that we can log into windows, office, and other products and licenses as a small business. I want to have small business accounts for our small businesses. Where would I make that suggestion, or at what...
  3. microsoft business

in Windows 10 Gaming
    microsoft business: It is my pleasure being here in microsoft business community https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-business/ca046d98-5ec8-46e4-aec7-88cd720ee7b8
  4. microsoft business

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    microsoft business: It is my pleasure being here in microsoft business community https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-business/ca046d98-5ec8-46e4-aec7-88cd720ee7b8
  5. microsoft business

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  6. Changing Microsoft personal account to business account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing Microsoft personal account to business account: A number of years ago I thought I created a Microsoft account for my business but it is listed a personal account. Every time I set up a new computer I consider creating a new business account but I want to access my subscriptions so I continue to use this account. I have...
  7. Changing Microsoft personal account to business account

Changing Microsoft personal account to business account: A number of years ago I thought I created a Microsoft account for my business but it is listed a personal account. Every time I set up a new computer I consider creating a new business account but I want to access my subscriptions so I continue to use this account. I have...
  8. Change from Microsoft Personal to Business

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Change from Microsoft Personal to Business: Hi there, For years I've had the microsoft personal subscription but have recently set up my own business and therefore opened a Microsoft business subscription for the customised email etc.. I'm now planning to cancel the personal one, but how do I best go about ensuring...
  9. Changing a personal Microsoft account to business account

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Changing a personal Microsoft account to business account: Hi Support Community, Looking to change my old personal Microsoft account to reflect new business account. Currently have an alias set up against two domains and just purchased Surface Book 2 for business and logged in under new domain no problems but cant sync settings or...
  10. Microsoft Store of Business App Updates

Microsoft Store of Business App Updates: Hi, We have a device in Kiosk mode, with a standard local user logged in. We then push apps to that device (as well as the built in apps) The question I have is, when and how often will the app update itself once a new version is release? And will the standard user be...