Windows 10: Microsoft commits to 10-year support lifecycle for Windows 10

Discus and support Microsoft commits to 10-year support lifecycle for Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; It's been a bad week for conspiracy theorists. As the Windows 10 launch nears, Microsoft is clearing up loose ends. Today's announcement of a 10-year... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by DavidY, Jul 16, 2015.

1. DavidY Win User

Microsoft commits to 10-year support lifecycle for Windows 10

Full ZDNet article: http://www.zdnet.com/article/microso...or-windows-10/

Microsoft support lifecycle for Windows: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

:)

DavidY, Jul 16, 2015
  2. Andre Da Costa, Jul 16, 2015
  3. Andre Da Costa, Jul 16, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

Now this is great news!!

BunnyJ, Jul 16, 2015
  5. Winuser Win User
    *Ditto *Thumbs

Winuser, Jul 16, 2015
  6. DavidY Win User
    Although the Microsoft link itself doesn't give any comfort on the 'supported lifecycle' phrase, as it says:
    Ed Bott gives some comfort here:
    But there's nothing official there, we only have Ed Bott's word for it. Microsoft themselves still haven't said anything concrete about support for updates on old devices, except to say that they may stop when you're out of OEM support.

DavidY, Jul 16, 2015
  7. Cliff S New Member
    I thought this was the last Windows, i.e., ad infinitum??? So what is this lifecycle 10-year support stuff? Just playing the *Devil advocate.

Cliff S, Jul 16, 2015
  8. Kari Win User

I'm giggling here, aloud, waiting our resident tinfoil hat member society to start with this *Smile.

Me and Mr. Bott have had quite a different opinion a few times but this quote from him makes me forgive him everything:

I have quite a strong opinion about who of our resident tinfoil hat society starts. Let's see if I am right or wrong...

9. richc46 Win User
    A question. Don't you think that 10 years is sufficient, if you are happy with support for the life of the device?

richc46, Jul 16, 2015
  10. groze Win User
    I wonder how the press will take the OEM clause. I really think they are trying to cover the legal aspect. Some computers that are upgrade from windows 7 or 8.1 will fail, which means that your device is not supported.

The question what happens if a driver update or a feature update won't work on a system you upgrade from? Are you out of luck and you have to go back to windows 7 or 8.1 to be secure?

groze, Jul 16, 2015
  11. Cliff S New Member
    Ummmm.. look at the last sentence. that was tinfoil bait
    Microsoft commits to 10-year support lifecycle for Windows 10 [​IMG]

Cliff S, Jul 16, 2015
  12. richc46 Win User
    LOL No need to bait them; we will see them soon enough

richc46, Jul 16, 2015
  13. Cliff S New Member

Yup! *Biggrin Think about it though, 10 years, will we even be using PC's in 2025? Or will we all be bio hacked, and use some kind of genetically change virus's with nanites that gives us Borg powers? Ok now I'm being geeky*Nerd

Cliff S, Jul 16, 2015
  14. AlanWade Win User
    Wondering will I even be alive in 2025....

AlanWade, Jul 16, 2015
  15. They could easily extend it. They have to pick some type of time frame to start with. If they had said forever, and then changed their mind latter on down the road, and released Windows 11, people would call them on the free forever statement. This way they have options latter on down the road. In ten years or so they decide what to do. Nothings etched in stone as far as this goes.

alphanumeric, Jul 16, 2015
Thema:

1. Microsoft commits to 10-year support lifecycle for Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Microsoft commits support

2. Windows 10 lifecycle

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 lifecycle: Is Windows 10, version 23H2 going to be the last version of Windows 10?Are Windows 10 Insiders running the Release Preview Channel going to be redirected to Windows 11?What will the end of support warning look like?Are you going to force Windows 11 upgrades in 2025?Please...
  3. Windows 10 lifecycle

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 lifecycle: Is Windows 10, version 23H2 going to be the last version of Windows 10?Are Windows 10 Insiders running the Release Preview Channel going to be redirected to Windows 11?What will the end of support warning look like?Are you going to force Windows 11 upgrades in 2025?Please...
  4. Windows 10 lifecycle

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows 10 Enterprise Lifecycle Policy

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Enterprise Lifecycle Policy: Please clarify the below "important" note, Which windows 10 built will Microsoft support until 14, 2025. Is there any specific built or is this about whole windows 10 support? Please clarify this. Also provide the link for windows 10 built extended support. Thanks...
  6. Microsoft reduces Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC support to 5 years

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft reduces Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC support to 5 years: Microsoft announced today that the next Windows 10 Enterprise Long-Term Servicing Channel version will have a reduced support lifecycle of five years. When Microsoft released Windows 10 in 2015, it introduced Windows as a service. The main difference to previous versions of...
  7. Windows 10 1909 lifecycle compared to 2004

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 1909 lifecycle compared to 2004: Hi hoping this is a quick one, can someone explain to me why Windows 10 Enterprise version 1909 has a end of service date of 10/05/2022 and 2004 is 14/12/2021 when 2004 was released later. I'm looking to upgrade our 1809 devices but not sure which version to go for that may...
  8. Microsoft updates Surface driver and firmware support lifecycle dates

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft updates Surface driver and firmware support lifecycle dates: On November 13, Microsoft went public with device support dates for some of its more recently released Surface PCs and tablets. Before today, Microsoft had made end-of-device-support dates public for its oldest Surface models, but not some of its newer devices. For Surface...
  9. Microsoft: Our continuing commitment to your privacy with Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft: Our continuing commitment to your privacy with Windows 10: At Microsoft, we are deeply committed to protecting our customers’ privacy. This includes providing clear choices and easy-to-use tools that put you in control of how your information is collected and used. Trust is a core pillar of our More Personal Computing vision, and we...
  10. Microsoft Reportedly Promises Support Windows 10 Mobile For Many Years

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Reportedly Promises Support Windows 10 Mobile For Many Years: A leaked internal email allegedly written by Microsoft executive vice president Terry Myerson states that the software giant is committed to supporting the beleaguered Windows 10 Mobile for many years. This is good news for Windows phone fans, though the email also confirms...