Windows 10: Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry AppCrash

Discus and support Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry AppCrash in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I guess this is not a new question and apologise in advance if I am repeating it but I failed to unearth anything helpful through Search: I upgraded... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Bob Hawkins, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry AppCrash

I guess this is not a new question and apologise in advance if I am repeating it but I failed to unearth anything helpful through Search:
    I upgraded my laptop to Windows 10 one month ago. Reliability Monitor, which I run every day, has advised me three times since May 22nd that Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry stopped working. The application name is CompatTelRunner.exe at C:\Windows\System32.
    1. What causes it to execute and how often might that be - are the three times so far likely to be its total attempts?
    2. Other than suffering its periodic appearance (I am comforted by a straight line 10 in Reliability Monitor), I wonder if there is a simple solution to this matter?

:)

Bob Hawkins, Jun 1, 2016

2. Microsoft Telemetry Compatibility

When I start Xbox on my laptop the whole thing slows to a crawl. Task Manager reveals it is largely due to Microsoft Telemetry Compatibility hogging most of the CPU. This goes on for several minutes and recurs often. I don't especially mind Microsoft
    collecting info on my usage, but I would like it to be done in a way that does not impact the performance of my computer. What can I do?

TiggersErrorMom, Jun 1, 2016
  3. Microsoft compatibility telemetry

I have tried to turn it off - to no avail. The closest thing I can equate
    Microsoft compatibility telemetry
    to is spyware. The only thing I can suggest to you is to keep your
    Task Manager open at all times, and if you see your disk start to spike, go to the
    Task Manager and shut it down. I followed all the instructions on how to stop or remove
    Microsoft compatibility telemetry and nothing worked. This the
    real price you pay for the free upgrade to Win10.

To Microsoft: show some common decency, or at least some balls and help people solve this. Otherwise you are starting to smell like some third-rate organization run out of Mumbai.

MichaelCorbridge, Jun 1, 2016
  4. XMN
    xmn Win User

Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry AppCrash

Hi Bob,
    I have the same problem. CompatTelRunner.exe crashes everyday the tablet is on. The last time it happened was a few minutes ago. Problem reporting always says "No new solutions found. When solutions are available, they will appear in Security and Maintenance."
    I have reinstalled Windows from scratch several weeks ago, but it did not make a difference.

5. xmn
    I believe I have discovered the cause of the issue and the answer:
    Critical Error Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry pointed me to Windows update KB3156421 as the possible culprit. A link there takes you to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930 where there is a further link to the Microsoft trouble shooter package. I downloaded and saved wushowhide.diagcab from that site.
    Uninstall Windows update KB3156421 and run wushowhide.diagcab to hide the offending update. Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry has not reappeared in Reliability Monitor in six days since hiding KB3156421.

Bob Hawkins, Jun 15, 2016
  6. XMN
    xmn Win User
    Bob,
    it looks just like the problem I have. I checked my Windows update history, and found KB3156421. But it is not listed in the installed updates in the control panel uninstall updates area. So I downloaded the wushowhide.diagcab in the hope it would allow me to force it to show in the uninstall list, but the diagcab did not find anything, it only manages what is shown or hidden from the Windows mandatory update.

7. xmn
    I wonder why 'Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Windows Update\View update history' shows the update but 'Installed Updates' does not? I regret I cannot answer that question. I do hope that if you ask that question specifically elsewhere, someone might be able to help in order for you to make progress.

Bob Hawkins, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry AppCrash

1. Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry AppCrash - Similar Threads - Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry

2. Permanently delete Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Permanently delete Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry: I followed this instructions: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/permanently-disabling-windows-compatibility/6bf71583-81b0-4a74-ae2e-8fd73305aad1 Microsoft Compatibility telemetry still triggers itselfI want it to permanently delete it from the computer....
  3. Permanently delete Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Permanently delete Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry: I followed this instructions: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/permanently-disabling-windows-compatibility/6bf71583-81b0-4a74-ae2e-8fd73305aad1 Microsoft Compatibility telemetry still triggers itselfI want it to permanently delete it from the computer....
  4. Permanently delete Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry Using High CPU

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry Using High CPU: Hi, whenever I startup, I notice that Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry uses about 50-80% of my CPU which stops after a minute or so. Is this normal or should I be concerned?...
  6. Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry Using High CPU

Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry Using High CPU: Hi, whenever I startup, I notice that Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry uses about 50-80% of my CPU which stops after a minute or so. Is this normal or should I be concerned?...
  7. Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry Using High CPU

8. How to disable Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry on Windows 8.1?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to disable Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry on Windows 8.1?: How to disable Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry on Windows 8.1? Please note that it is Windows 8.1 eight point one and that "Task Scheduler" is not found after searching for it on Windows 8.1 so the previously posted "solution" does not work for me....
  9. How to disable Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry on Windows 8.1?

How to disable Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry on Windows 8.1?: How to disable Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry on Windows 8.1? Please note that it is Windows 8.1 eight point one and that "Task Scheduler" is not found after searching for it on Windows 8.1 so the previously posted "solution" does not work for me....
  10. Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry is part of Planned Obsolecence

Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry is part of Planned Obsolecence: With the recent update to 1803 this month (2018-09) Compattelrunner.exe was renewed on my system and set back to full operational status. This is after I created a dummy file of compattelrunner.exe (created a notepad txt file and renamed it to compattelrunner.exe and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. appscrash/telemetry