Windows 10: Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry is part of Planned Obsolecence

Discus and support Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry is part of Planned Obsolecence in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; With the recent update to 1803 this month (2018-09) Compattelrunner.exe was renewed on my system and set back to full operational status. This is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by BiajjaChiemara, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry is part of Planned Obsolecence

With the recent update to 1803 this month (2018-09) Compattelrunner.exe was renewed on my system and set back to full operational status.

This is after I created a dummy file of compattelrunner.exe (created a notepad txt file and renamed it to compattelrunner.exe and overwrote the real compattelrunner.exe and then REMOVED all trusted installer, system, user, and ADMIN privileges related to writing or deleting or renaming or anything that could change my dummy file in any way).

I did those changes through a command prompt from a booted recovery iso.

I removed all scheduled tasks, I set the registry entry for Allow Telemetry to DISABLED.

Yet all of a sudden I started getting WHEA ERROR BLUE SCREEN... which I didn't get until immediately after this set of updates I allowed to download on Sunday September 16th.

After reboot and the updates installed I booted into Windows and started playing the game I had just been playing for HOURS before the update and got a blue screen WHEA error.

I am religious with keeping my system in tip top shape, all updated drivers, I don't overclock, I even vacuum and compress air out all dust from every nook and cranny of the inside of my case and clean my intake/exhaust fan filters.

After I got that error, windows wouldn't log in. I restored from my backup (Veeam Agent backup) and let the updates install again.

Got the error again.

This time my system didn't get corrupted.

I ran DISM and SFC, no issues or repairs needed.

I scanned my drives for errors, none found.

My temps are all well below anything remotely close to being hot. My gpu gets around 51c on full load. It has a max of over 90c and can still run at that according to what I read and user experience with my card proves.

After I rebooted from the second attempt of the updates installing, I added compattelrunner.exe from each of the three directories where it resides:

C:\windows\system32

C:\windows\winSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-compat-generaltel_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.17134.1_none_9aeb7094f69b340c

C:\windows\winSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-compat-generaltel_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.17134.165_none_96ff9338e393c6cf

After I added the instances of compattelrunner.exe to Webroot blocked programs list, and rebooted, Webroot alerted me of three viruses and was scanning to remove them.

I let webroot remove the three instances of compattelrunner.exe and rebooted.

Low and behold!!!! I was able to play my game for HOURS with no issues...

The next day I booted my computer up and after letting it download yet ANOTHER 1803 update, I tried to play my game again...

BAM

WHEA BLUE SCREEN

Webroot IMMEDIATELY popped up alerting me to a NEW instance of compattelrunner.exe and began scanning and then removed it.

SO....

My conclusion is that Microsoft is doing some shady, force you to buy new hardware illegitimately before you need to, action.

I WILL DECIDE WHEN MY HARDWARE IS OBSOLETE... NOT YOU!

:)

BiajjaChiemara, Sep 21, 2018
  2. Ima Troll Win User

Microsoft Telemetry Compatibility

Microsoft Telemetry Compatibility is, simply stated, a virus that ships with Windows.

• Hit the Windows key and type Task Scheduler
    • Drill down to Task Scheduler Library | Microsoft | Windows | Application Experience
    • Disable Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser
    • Disable ProgramDataUpdater

Ima Troll, Sep 21, 2018
  3. Microsoft Telemetry Compatibility

Hi May,

To answer your inquiry about Microsoft Telemetry Compatibility, you may refer to the information provided below.

Telemetry is system data that is uploaded by the Connected User Experience and Telemetry component. The telemetry data is used to keep Windows devices secure, and to help Microsoft improve the quality of Windows and Microsoft services. It is used to provide
    a service to the user as part of Windows.

Basically, it is an automated process, where data is collected at remote points and transmitted back to the ‘parent’, who uses it for the purpose or measuring, monitoring and improving services.

Yes, it can be disabled by going through Registry Editor. However, it is highly advisable not to disable it since this is an important component to improving the system and bringing better solution to any upcoming issues.

Feel free to post more inquiries.

Regards.

Jesrael Bor, Sep 21, 2018
  4. Zero MSN Win User

Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry is part of Planned Obsolecence

Thank you so much. This was killing off the battery and the CPU on my Surface. To make it worse, the fan would make a lot of noise to cool the system down.

Now it's running so much better and a lot quieter too.

Zero MSN, Sep 21, 2018
Thema:

Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry is part of Planned Obsolecence

1. Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry is part of Planned Obsolecence - Similar Threads - Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry

2. Why does Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry modify a third part application?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry modify a third part application?: My VIPRE reports that it blocked the "Telemetry" attempted to modify armlink.exe that comes from TI's CCSV5.Here is the reportEvent Type2 -- NotifyTimeout0sMonitor Source2003 -- On File AccessMessage ID{E59653E1-6450-4AE4-B0C9-994EAD5FFF38}Monitor Type2 -- FileRecommend...
  3. Why does Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry modify a third part application?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry modify a third part application?: My VIPRE reports that it blocked the "Telemetry" attempted to modify armlink.exe that comes from TI's CCSV5.Here is the reportEvent Type2 -- NotifyTimeout0sMonitor Source2003 -- On File AccessMessage ID{E59653E1-6450-4AE4-B0C9-994EAD5FFF38}Monitor Type2 -- FileRecommend...
  4. Why does Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry modify a third part application?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Permanently delete Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Permanently delete Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry: I followed this instructions: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/permanently-disabling-windows-compatibility/6bf71583-81b0-4a74-ae2e-8fd73305aad1 Microsoft Compatibility telemetry still triggers itselfI want it to permanently delete it from the computer....
  6. Permanently delete Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry

Permanently delete Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry: I followed this instructions: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/permanently-disabling-windows-compatibility/6bf71583-81b0-4a74-ae2e-8fd73305aad1 Microsoft Compatibility telemetry still triggers itselfI want it to permanently delete it from the computer....
  7. Permanently delete Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry Using High CPU

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry Using High CPU: Hi, whenever I startup, I notice that Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry uses about 50-80% of my CPU which stops after a minute or so. Is this normal or should I be concerned?...
  9. Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry Using High CPU

Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry Using High CPU: Hi, whenever I startup, I notice that Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry uses about 50-80% of my CPU which stops after a minute or so. Is this normal or should I be concerned?...
  10. Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry AppCrash

in Windows 10 Support
    Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry AppCrash: I guess this is not a new question and apologise in advance if I am repeating it but I failed to unearth anything helpful through Search: I upgraded my laptop to Windows 10 one month ago. Reliability Monitor, which I run every day, has advised me three times since May 22nd...