Windows 10: Microsoft confirms "Local Security protection is off" Microsoft Defender issue

Discus and support Microsoft confirms "Local Security protection is off" Microsoft Defender issue in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft Windows 11 systems may display the error message "Local Security protection is off. Your device may be vulnerable." after installation of a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Mar 23, 2023.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Microsoft confirms "Local Security protection is off" Microsoft Defender issue

Microsoft Windows 11 systems may display the error message "Local Security protection is off. Your device may be vulnerable." after installation of a recent Microsoft Defender Antivirus update.

Microsoft confirmed the issue for Windows 11 and Windows 11 version 22H2 on its Release Health website. Both versions of the Windows 11 operating system are affected in the same way by the issue. The known issues listings for supported Windows 10 versions does not have the entry, which suggests that these operating systems are not affected by it.

Windows 11 devices may throw the error message after installation of KB5007651 on Windows 11 devices. The update's full name is Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus antimalware platform - KB5007651, and it should be listed as one of the installed updates by update management services.

Microsoft confirms "Local Security protection is off" Microsoft Defender issue windows-11-local-security-authority-protection.png

Windows administrators who enable Local Security Authority protection on Windows 11 devices may resolve the issue, but it leads directly to a follow-up issue. Once enabled, Windows 11 may "persistently prompt that a restart is required" through its notifications system.

Microsoft recommends that administrators ignore the restart prompts, provided that they have enabled Local Security Authority protection and restarted the Windows 11 device at least once.

A support page reveals how system administrators may use the System log under Windows Logs in the Event Viewer to determine whether Local Security Authority protection (LSASS.exe) is enabled.

The log should have this entry: "12: LSASS.exe was started as a protected process with level: 4".

Enabling Local Security Authority Protection on Windows 11

Local Security Authority protection "helps protect user credentials by preventing unsigned drivers and plugins from loading into the Local Security Authority". A support page on Microsoft's Learn websites has additional information.

When enabled, Local Security Authority protection prevents code injections that "could compromise credentials". Plugins and drivers need to have a valid signature and adhere to the Microsoft Security Deployment Lifecycle process guidance. If they don't, they won't be loaded.

Windows administrators may enable the security feature in the following way:

1. Open the Start Menu and load the Settings application.
    2. Select the Privacy & security tab.
    3. Activate the Windows Security option on the page that opens.
    4. Select Device Security on the next page; this opens the Windows Security app.
    5. On the Device Security page, select "Core isolation details".
    6. Toggle Local Security Authority protection to ON under Core isolation.

Microsoft notes that it does not recommend any other workarounds for the issues. While it does not mention any, it may refer to the uninstallation of the Microsoft Defender Antivirus update on the affected Windows 11 device.

The company is working on a full resolution of the issue and plans to "provide an update as soon as it is available".

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Microsoft confirms "Local Security protection is off" Microsoft Defender issue appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Mar 23, 2023
  2. Brink Win User

Introducing Microsoft Defender: New Microsoft 365 online security app

Read more:

Brink, Mar 23, 2023
  3. vicf1 Win User
    Clear Windows Security Center (Defender) Protection History

Did not work for me. After going through all steps I still have protection history full

vicf1, Mar 23, 2023
  4. malware Win User

Microsoft Security Bulletin for September 2007

Microsoft released yesterday the September Security Bulletin for Windows operating system, as part of its monthly security cycle. This bulletin summary lists one critical and three important updates. For more information, see Microsoft Security Bulletin Summary for September 2007.

Source: Microsoft

malware, Mar 23, 2023
Thema:

1. Microsoft confirms "Local Security protection is off" Microsoft Defender issue - Similar Threads - Microsoft confirms Local

2. Local Security Authority Protection is off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Local Security Authority Protection is off: I was advised to open Local Security Authority Protection but I can't figure out how to open it and I can't follow the internet, in my regedit there is no file named RunAsPPL please help....
  3. Local Security Authority Protection is off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Local Security Authority Protection is off: Hello,I got on my 1 week old rig that I built. I had this message from Microsoft defender about this Local Security Authority Protection being off. I tried installing a new update to see if it would fix but it has not. I read another forum online saying I needed to fix...
  4. ''local security authority protection is off''

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ''local security authority protection is off'': There is a message ''local security authority protection is off'' your computer may be vulnerable. When I go to settings there is no LSA option in the menu. How did you guys fix this ?...
  5. ''local security authority protection is off''

''local security authority protection is off'': There is a message ''local security authority protection is off'' your computer may be vulnerable. When I go to settings there is no LSA option in the menu. How did you guys fix this ?...
  6. Local Security Authority Protection is off

Local Security Authority Protection is off: HiI have had this on my laptop for a few months now. SettingsDevice Security Actions Recommended with a yellow caution sign"Local Security Authority Protection is off"Not having any problems with my laptop, just a little worried. I have run the scans, and nothing comes up. I...
  7. Local Security Authority Protection is off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Local Security Authority Protection is off: HiI have had this on my laptop for a few months now. SettingsDevice Security Actions Recommended with a yellow caution sign"Local Security Authority Protection is off"Not having any problems with my laptop, just a little worried. I have run the scans, and nothing comes up. I...
  8. Local Security Authority protection is off

Local Security Authority protection is off: An update for Windows was available yesterday 3/20/2023. I installed the update and now I am getting a yellow triangle with a ! in it under Device security. I open Windows Security and find Local Security Authority protection is off. Your device may be vulnerable. And...
  9. Local security authority protection is off

Local security authority protection is off: The LAS protection is now off. There is no toggle to turn back on. When I try to go to settings, it tells me the page is unavailable. I tried the powershell advice given for another answer, and that doesn't work as this computer is in S Mode and not a verified app, so can't...
  10. Local Security Authority Protection Is Off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Local Security Authority Protection Is Off: Hi, brand new PC. Built it myself.Hit with some weird bugs.I did a Google search that led me here. It says to check the motherboard settings gigabyte and so I checked the settings in the motherboard and all were as they were supposed to according to the Google search.I also...