Windows 10: Microsoft confirms that Windows 10 upgrade will not be free after one

Discus and support Microsoft confirms that Windows 10 upgrade will not be free after one in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft has been heavily promoting the fact that Windows 10 will be a free upgrade for consumers running Windows 7, 8 or Phone 8.1 when the OS is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by swarfega, May 19, 2015.

1. swarfega Win User

Microsoft confirms that Windows 10 upgrade will not be free after one

Read more: here

:)

swarfega, May 19, 2015

2. Windows10 upgrade

windows 10 free upgrade, May 19, 2015
  3. Upgrading my PC from scratch. Will my win10 licence carry over?

Hi

On the same thought, what if i upgrade from win 8.1 to windows 10 during the free perion. Then after the free period of one year I upgrade to a new motherboard and cpu.

will i have to:

1 Buy a new licence of win 10 or just confirm that windows is on one machine?

2 how will i re-instal windows 10 as it was installed as an upgrade?

Isaac Rameetse, May 19, 2015
  4. CountMike New Member

What concerns me is license status if upgraded first year as they mention "For the life of device" few times. I tend to upgrade MB (and BIOS with it) every third year and if I don't have full license to migrate easily it may present a problem.

CountMike, May 19, 2015
  5. BunnyJ New Member
    Good point.. and I plan on upgrading my Motherboard in June to avoid that issue. I think I'll buy a copy of Win10(DVD) when it comes out so I don't have to worry about the motherboard issue. And I can transfer it to a new PC when/if I build one.

BunnyJ, May 19, 2015
  6. They haven't really said, not that I've read anyway. If Windows 10 inherits the current type of license, OEM would get you OEM, Retail would get you Retail. Who knows if that will happen. They could also make one of the conditions of the free upgrade that it's none transferable, back to the "life of the device" thing. I'm wondering about the Technical Support side of it? If you have OEM Windows 7 or 8, you go to the manufacturer of the device for Windows Tech Support issues. If you bought retail you call Microsoft. If you upgrade an OEM install or 7 or 8 to Windows 10, who you gonna call? Ghost Busters?

alphanumeric, May 19, 2015
  7. Gary Win User
    I wish that MS would just come out and state all of the facts such as what happens if you replace your MOBO, ...etc. All they are doing with these piece meal releases is adding to the confusion.

8. Microsoft confirms that Windows 10 upgrade will not be free after one

Yeah, and everybody has their own interpretation on what the little bits of info that does come out mean. Some seem to think, if I say something often enough it will become fact. *really

9. besb Win User
    I agree- more fud. Device also needs definition.
    How about this -in October 2016 we get an enhanced version is it a feature update FREE or an 10.1 release "upgrade" PAID for. I suspect MS is holding many internal meetings thrashing out the policy and is the reason for statements dribbling out piece meal.
    More Confusion.
    We just have to be patient.

10. Cliff S New Member
    Kerry, why would I go to an OEM(they're usually not much help*sarc) if I had problems with windows? I'll just come here*Smile. At best I only need the OEM for drivers, and they can be downloaded at their site.

Cliff S, May 19, 2015
  11. Yeah. I know. My point was, if you have an OEM version, you can't call Microsoft if you have issues with Windows. They will just tell you to contact the manufacturer. They will only give support to Retail installs. So who does Joe average computer user call if they do the free upgrade on an OEM PC and things go south?

12. Device is easier to say than listing them all out, laptop, desktop, tablet, Phone, etc. That's all.

13. Cliff S New Member

Hmmmm, I see what you mean, specially if it's the only PC they have access to, that would be a nightmare.

Cliff S, May 19, 2015
  14. Mystere Win User
    While they're at it, they need to define what words like "is" and "are" mean.

Come on, this is standard verbiage used throughout the industry. We all know what a "device" is. We all know what "life of the device" means (or at least anyone that knows anything about MS licensing).

Nothing is changing in terms of how licensing is handled. If it's an OEM license, it's locked to the motherboard. If it's a retail license it's transferrable to another device if you follow the rules (delete it from the old one, etc..).

The only question on the table is whether or not the upgrade of a retail retains its retail status, and that is yet to be defined by MS. But why gnash teeth about it now? You can't do anything about it, one way or another?

Mystere, May 19, 2015
  15. besb Win User
    I have 7 pro on 1 desktop and another running 7 to 8 to 8.1
    Not sure of the status of 8.1 system following the paid upgrade to 8 then the auto to 8.1

I trust it still retains its retail status hence I agree with Mystere
    The others laptops/netbooks are OEM and also an XP desktop which I will not attempt to upgrade

Thema:

1. Microsoft confirms that Windows 10 upgrade will not be free after one - Similar Threads - Microsoft confirms upgrade

2. Microsoft confirms Windows 11 is a free upgrade for Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft confirms Windows 11 is a free upgrade for Windows 10: Microsoft is making Windows 11 available as a free upgrade to all Windows 10 users. In theory, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1 users will also get the update for free if they upgrade to Windows 10. It’s not yet clear if there will be a direct update path to Windows 11...
  3. Microsoft document confirms Windows 10 Cloud PC upgrade

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft document confirms Windows 10 Cloud PC upgrade: Reports have suggested that Microsoft is secretly working on Cloud PC, a new service that will allow users to access desktop apps from any device within minutes. Windows 10 Cloud PC is expected to drop sometime between March and June 2021, and new exciting details...
  4. Formatting HDD with windows 10 after free upgrade

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Formatting HDD with windows 10 after free upgrade: I have to format laptop on which My original License was for Windows 7 and I upgraded it free for Windows 10 during Microsoft "Windows 10 Upgrade free" scheme. How I will Windows 10 on formatted Laptop with License?...
  5. Error msg: after Windows 10 free upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Error msg: after Windows 10 free upgrade: Hi, After installing the free Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7, it comes up with the following blue screen error msg: Recovery - Your PC/Device needs to be repaired The operating system couldnt be loaded because the kernel is missing or contains errors....
  6. Upgrade free to windows 10

Upgrade free to windows 10: Whats better from windows 7 or 8 ? I have licences for both but didnt want to purchase a furthur third. 160219
  7. windows 10 free upgrade

windows 10 free upgrade: I did the windows 10 upgrade from windows 8.1 and I cant get it activated due to product key or digital license i dont think i ever got a digital license information email or anything where can i find the license information to activate the free upgraded windows 10...
  8. Windows 10 "Free upgrade" after hardware change?

Windows 10 "Free upgrade" after hardware change?: So, I am planning on buying a new hard drive for my computer, and since Windows 10's activation is based on hardware, will I still have the free upgrade? 48242
  9. Windows 10 Upgrade is not Free

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Upgrade is not Free: I have been using Windows 10 upgrade and having worked in IT support. I have been thinking about Microsoft and their motives. I decided to change my hard drive and Win 10 deactivated. I called MS and was told I had to reinstall qualifying product and do another upgrade. Soon...
  10. Is The Windows 10 Free Upgrade Still Free?

Is The Windows 10 Free Upgrade Still Free?: Hmm I firstly thought that free upgrade to windows 10 has end but now I see MS giving away windows 10 free again in this wsite?- Here 74024