Windows 10: Microsoft confirms that Windows 11 will receive annual feature updates

Discus and support Microsoft confirms that Windows 11 will receive annual feature updates in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Next Tuesday, Windows 11 devices will receive new features as part of the monthly security update for the operating system. This is the second update... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Mar 8, 2023.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Microsoft confirms that Windows 11 will receive annual feature updates

Next Tuesday, Windows 11 devices will receive new features as part of the monthly security update for the operating system. This is the second update that introduces new features outside of a major feature update release.

Naturally, some Windows administrators and users wondered, whether Microsoft would continue to release major feature updates each year for the operating system.

This question, and several more regarding smaller and major feature updates, has now been answered. In Continuous innovation coming to Windows 11 in March, Microsoft employee Harjit Dhaliwal confirms that Windows 11 will receive an annual feature update in the second half of the calendar year.

This feature update continues to be tied to a support lifecycle, which is 24 months of support for Home and Pro editions, and 36 months of support for Enterprise and Education editions.

Microsoft released the second smaller feature update for Windows 11 as a preview in February already. The company plans to release it on March 14, 2023 as part of the March cumulative update for Windows 11. You can check out the new features and changes of the second feature update for Windows 11 here.

Feature update differences

Dhaliwal explains that Microsoft received feedback from customers that "they want more from their Windows experience". These smaller feature updates provide benefits such as "improved security, productivity and collaboration". The updates are delivered using trusted servicing technology and "without sacrificing quality".

Organizations may use a new policy to control the rollout of new features to Windows 11 outside the scope of the annual feature update. Some organizations may prefer to block the rollout of these smaller feature changes or at least delay them.

System administrators may check out the support article Commercial control for continuous innovation for instructions on that. Basically, Microsoft aims to give organizations control over features that modify Windows 11 in a significant way. The company mentions the removal of existing capabilities, new in-box applications, the overriding of configured settings, or new experiences and user interfaces specifically.

On managed devices, all features that are "behind the commercial control" will be off by default on managed devices.

The policy Enable features introduced via servicing that are off by default, gives system administrators control over this default behavior.

Closing words

Microsoft's strategy for Windows 11 going forward is simple: release an annual feature update for the operating system at the end of the year, and several smaller feature updates inbetween. The annual update includes all the features and changes of the smaller updates, and starts a new support lifecycle.

The original version of Windows 11 runs out of support at the end of 2023 for Home and Pro editions of Windows 11. These devices need to be updated either to the Windows 11 2022 Update, or to the Windows 11 2023 Update, which Microsoft will release at the same time.

Microsoft launched a new Canary Insider channel this month for Windows 11. It could be another indicator that it is planning to release Windows 12 in 2024.

Now You: do you use Windows? If so, which version?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Microsoft confirms that Windows 11 will receive annual feature updates appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Mar 8, 2023

2. Microsoft Confirms Windows, Office 6-Month Update Cycle

Microsoft has been steadily increasing stability, features and, the company hopes, attractiveness of its latest Windows 10 operating system. Recently, its Creator's Update has brought, among other features, a performance-boosting Game Mode, a 3D version of the popular and (respectably ancient) Paint app, as well as increased privacy control, something users clamored for. Now, the Redmond company has confirmed that it's looking towards a six month update cycle for Windows 10 (thus aligning it with Office 365 ProPlus), looking to streamline and increase predictability of its support.

Microsoft released the Windows 10 Anniversary Update in August 2016, and the Creators Update made its public debut on April 11 2017, which is already close to the six-month update cycle the company is now confirming (seven months, in this case.) Now the company has confirmed that it plans to release its next step on the Windows 10 operating system on September 2017. From then on, updates should arrive in a steady cadence, on every subsequent March and September. Each Windows 10 feature release will be serviced and supported for 18 months, as is currently the case, and the company has also added that its System Center Configuration Manager will support this new aligned update model for Office 365 ProPlus and Windows 10, "making both easier to deploy and keep up to date."

Microsoft confirms that Windows 11 will receive annual feature updates 9e115beeb143_thm.jpg

Microsoft confirms that Windows 11 will receive annual feature updates 8565e55b8bba_thm.jpg

Source: Blogs.Windows.com, Tom's Hardware

Raevenlord, Mar 8, 2023
  3. btarunr Win User
    Microsoft Confirms DirectX 11 to Accompany Windows 7

Microsoft's Ben Basaric, product marketing manager for Windows products, confirmed to PC Games Hardware that the next major update to the DirectX API, DirectX 11 would accompany Windows 7, the next major consumer operating system software by Microsoft. This, overwriting his own statement given to the website earlier that he wasn't sure if DirectX 11 would be ready to ship with the OS upon its launch. Furthermore, he also indicated that Windows Vista will have access to the updated API, although not sure at what point in time.

Source: PCGH

btarunr, Mar 8, 2023
  4. Microsoft confirms that Windows 11 will receive annual feature updates

Microsoft signals end of Paint program

Microsoft has confirmed that it will continue to offer its graphics program Paint.

In a recent update, it had listed Paint as a feature that would be either removed or no longer developed.

Paint, renowned for its simplicity, has been part of the Windows operating system since its launch in 1985.

Microsoft suggested it would not remain on Windows 10 by default but did say it would be available for free on the Windows Store.

BBC news Report here
    Microsoft Paint avoids brush with death

dorsetknob, Mar 8, 2023
Thema:

Microsoft confirms that Windows 11 will receive annual feature updates

1. Microsoft confirms that Windows 11 will receive annual feature updates - Similar Threads - Microsoft confirms receive

2. I bought Windows 11 Pro license online on Microsoft site but haven't received confirmation...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I bought Windows 11 Pro license online on Microsoft site but haven't received confirmation...: I made a purchase of Microsoft Windows 11 Pro license online but have not received a confirmation email with product code. I can see my order as completed in the order history but there is no email with order details.I tried to contact support via Get Help app but that it...
  3. I bought Windows 11 Pro license online on Microsoft site but haven't received confirmation...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I bought Windows 11 Pro license online on Microsoft site but haven't received confirmation...: I made a purchase of Microsoft Windows 11 Pro license online but have not received a confirmation email with product code. I can see my order as completed in the order history but there is no email with order details.I tried to contact support via Get Help app but that it...
  4. Microsoft confirms Windows 11 Printer issue

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft confirms Windows 11 Printer issue: Microsoft confirmed a new Windows 11 issue that is affecting some printers on the operating system. The issue is serious, and Microsoft has applied a safeguard hold on updates to Windows 11 version 22H2 for devices that are potentially affected by the issue. [ATTACH]...
  5. Unable to login to Windows 11 and no confirmation code being received

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to login to Windows 11 and no confirmation code being received: My fingerprint that I use for login is not working and I do not know my pin so can't login to my laptop. I have tried to use the forgot pin option to log in, it takes us through the whole confirm email, confirm password, then says it will send us a code... No code received. I...
  6. Unable to login to Windows 11 and no confirmation code being received

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to login to Windows 11 and no confirmation code being received: My fingerprint that I use for login is not working and I do not know my pin so can't login to my laptop. I have tried to use the forgot pin option to log in, it takes us through the whole confirm email, confirm password, then says it will send us a code... No code received. I...
  7. Microsoft confirms Windows 10 21H1 update, reveals one new feature

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft confirms Windows 10 21H1 update, reveals one new feature: Microsoft has quietly confirmed that Windows 10 21H1 would be the next feature update and it will arrive in early 2021, as previously rumoured. There have been clues over the past few months that Microsoft is shifting to a new ‘minor-major’ update cadence in 2021 to focus on...
  8. Not received Windows 10 20H2 feature update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Not received Windows 10 20H2 feature update: [ATTACH] Windows 10 Pro 32bit OS Region : India current feature version installed 20H1 since it was upgraded from windows 7 professional I tried checking the update using windows 10 update assistant tool, the feature update 20H2 was ready to be installed, no...
  9. missing deferral semi-annual channel feature update option in window update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    missing deferral semi-annual channel feature update option in window update: I have window 10 Pro, version 1903, from yesterday I faced this problem, in this sense that I have missed deferral semi-annual feature update in order to delay a new and upcoming " feature update " by 365 days, I contacted Microsoft support, one time they told me to...
  10. deferring semi-annual feature updates gone?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    deferring semi-annual feature updates gone?: W10 Pro v1903 I upgraded to v1903 some week ago, and in the delivery settings I selected -as usual- postpone time for further updates/upgrades as long as possible (365 days, resp 35 days). Therefore I was surprised that yesterday an automatic update was taking place. That...