Windows 10: Microsoft confirms the death of Internet Explorer

Discus and support Microsoft confirms the death of Internet Explorer in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Ah.. no. IE is far behind both FF and Chrome. MS should dump it and re-invent their browser. Like I said I took not just one but two classes and in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Mar 17, 2015.

1. BunnyJ New Member

Microsoft confirms the death of Internet Explorer

Ah.. no. IE is far behind both FF and Chrome. MS should dump it and re-invent their browser. Like I said I took not just one but two classes and in neither one you could use IE. The coding/grading tools would not work in IE and changing the sites was out of the question since FF/Chrome was the better option.

And Spartan is not just IE re-branded.. it's a whole new browser.

BunnyJ, Mar 17, 2015
  2. groze Win User

Yes, I do know that Microsoft can replace IE with something else, I even thought of that when reading about the cases. The articles implied that removing I.E. would cause the Operating system not to work. I don't know if they ever talked about replacing I.E. in those articles.

groze, Mar 17, 2015
  3. BunnyJ New Member
    And you trust everything you read on the internet?? MS removing IE is not an issue.. and yes.. IE is gone some time in the future. Isn't the the title of this thread?? Just relax.. MS can work around the IE issue when it comes to it's configuration in the OS and other AV's that use it for whatever reason will just have to update their code to accommodate the changes.

In the end it's not a thing to worry that much about.. MS has a plan and a way to make this work.

BunnyJ, Mar 17, 2015
  4. dmex Win User

It will work the same as the N versions of Windows *Wink

Internet Explorer is just the 'shell' for the Trident engine components and removing IE is just removing the executable and some of its dependencies but that doesn't remove Trident or the dependencies used by other applications.

Windows 10 will still include Trident and applications will continue functioning correctly.

5. I guess it will just mean yet another browser that will need special workarounds.

lehnerus2000, Mar 17, 2015
  6. BillyBob Win User
    I spend a lot of time on the Internet, I was on the Internet before most people knew what the Internet was, again I say what is wrong with IE, what websites doesn't it work on, I've never come across one.
    Yes years ago there were problems but I don't know of any major ones now, maybe the other browsers have some plugins for different things but that's about it.
    I still have a floppy disk with Mosaic on it and probably one with Netscape. When IE first came out it was pretty ordinary for a long time but I wouldn't say that now.

BillyBob, Mar 17, 2015
  7. waltc Win User
    Yes, I always thought that was a very stupid argument to put forth about IE, especially since it started out in its life as a completely separate program, just like all of the other browsers. They'd have done far better, I think, had they concentrated on the fact that Netscape had been giving away millions of copies of Nav/Communicator direct from the Netscape site for years--and that the "price" of IE was a reflection of that. I downloaded umpteen-many copies of Netscape browsers for several years--right from the Netscape site--gratis. (Oh, they asked for donations if you liked the browser, but it was never made a condition of downloading it, and Netscape routinely gave away much to schools and businesses at the time.) Barksdale was even quoted a few times talking about how it was OK for Netscape to give away its browser in order to "seed" the market for its server software--which it never gave away. Funny thing is, while he was making those statements he was bitching to Congress about the fact that Microsoft was "bundling" IE with Windows. Indeed, Netscape was giving away its browsers for years (and bundling them with printers, computer systems, monitors, modems--anything that was remotely connected to a computer usually contained a copy of a Netscape browser)--I had almost as many free ones as I had America-Online CDs...*Wink

You're right--it was a dumb thing for Microsoft to say...when it was so simple to show what the competition (Netscape didn't want any competition, and wanted the US government to make it illegal for Microsoft to compete with them in the browser space) was doing. But, really, Judge Jackson was so biased and prejudiced that I think if Microsoft had presented evidence that Netscape had been robbing banks Jackson would have just laughed it off--like he did when Microsoft objected to being called a "monopoly" when they so easily proved how Sun, IBM, Apple & Netscape were all direct competitors with Microsoft in many areas with Linux, Mac OS, Solaris, etc. I think that time has proven who was right and who was wrong--Microsoft is still thriving, but Netscape and Sun have been gone for years. Poetic justice, I always thought. It just doesn't pay to stop competing in order to ask the government to guarantee you a monopoly share of the market--which is what Netscape wanted, but of course never got. Thankfully.

waltc, Mar 17, 2015
  8. BillyBob Win User

I hated Netscape, it made my computers almost unworkable and I always had the latest PCs, at least IE was reasonably light, just buggy.

BillyBob, Mar 17, 2015
  9. LEE
    Lee Win User
    . . .again mythical B.S. . . .*Biggrin

10. Mystere Win User
    You're misrepresenting both what Microsoft said, and what the regulators were doing. Or at least misunderstanding it.

What the regulators wanted was for Microsoft to magically just "uninstall" IE from the current version of Windows without breaking anything. That couldn't be done because IE was completely integrated into the OS, and doing so meant crippling the OS in the process. *AT THAT TIME*.

That doesn't preclude MS from designing a new version of Windows that does not have IE integrated, which they have done in the proceeding years since. For instance, there is no longer a dependency on MSHTML in Windows (er.. File) Explorer. However, Microsoft could not do that in the short amount of time the regulators gave Microsoft (weeks) to remove IE from Windows.

You can't look at the comments taken out of the context of the requirements as a whole.

Mystere, Mar 17, 2015
  11. groze Win User
    Actually, it can be done heard of 98lite and xplite? They stopped with xplite I don't think they could do it with Vista and Windows 7.

Here is wikipedia definition

Removal of Internet Explorer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

groze, Mar 17, 2015
  12. Mystere Win User
    Again, you are just repeating things you read. Most of those tools don't do what they claim to do. They remove only small pieces of IE and then claim to have "entirely removed it" just because you could no longer use IE. That did not fit the legal definition of removing it from the courts perspective.

What's more, many of those tools worked by installing versions of files from older versions of Windows, thus radically breaking huge swaths of functionality. Yes, the OS would boot. And Yes, you could run a certain subset of applications. But for all intents and purposes, the OS was broken by these tools.

Of course all this was back in the days of Windows 98, long before we had monthly patch updates for security holes... You can't just install old versions of apps and expect them to remain secure and safe. If you actually looked into how these tools actually did their job, you would realize the scam they were trying to pull.

Mystere, Mar 17, 2015
  13. groze Win User

Mystere.

I actually used 98lite, and it did leave no traces of Internet explorer, I used it for quite awhile and it speed up my computer. I had no problems with it. I had to install Internet explorer with Microsoft works 7 but still didn't use desktop integration for quite awhile. Then I finally did and started liking it. You old need the old version of the files if you wanted desktop integration gone as well. It still remove Internet explorer without relying on older windows files. I tried that method as well.

Did you read the first line of the paragraph of what I quote?
    It is unclear what it means to "remove IE"

it means they don't know very simple to figure out.

This is just one article by the way, if I saved the bookmarks, I could show you tons of articles on this, not just wikipedia. Wikipedia is all I could find. Yes, I know you can't believe everything your read on the web. Some of those articles I read come from reliable sources besides wikipedia. I am not saying wikipedia is or is not reliable.

groze, Mar 17, 2015
  14. BunnyJ New Member
    @groze
    First off MS can and likely will have a feature to transfer your bookmarks from IE to Spartan.. they can and will have a way to get that done.

Second, .. well again. I know that MS will find or have found a way by now to eventually phase out IE from the OS. It's just a programming issue and believe it or not.. they know how to do that by now.

Finally, your confusing what MS has said about removing IE. As a user they have suggested that removing IE would make the OS unstable and from my understanding it does. And I'm not addressing 98lite either. MS can remove IE from the OS. Trust me and others here that it's very possible. What you're reading all over the Internet is not always correct and please stop quoting it.. Overall it's not helping your credibility.

Just my 2c
    Jeff

BunnyJ, Mar 17, 2015
  15. BunnyJ New Member
    Wikipedia?? Seriously?? A sight where anyone can post information and claim it's facts?? Win98 is a totally different animal than either Vista or WIn7. There is simply no comparison between those and how IE was integrated in them.

BunnyJ, Mar 17, 2015
Thema:

1. Microsoft confirms the death of Internet Explorer - Similar Threads - Microsoft confirms death

2. Internet Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Internet Explorer: What happen if I disable Internet explorer? Is my game and apps will have bad problem after I disable Internet explorer? I don't use Internet explorer. It is connected with Edge. I have chrome as my default browser....
  3. Internet Explorer to Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Internet Explorer to Microsoft Edge: Hi Community,I’ve been trying to access an internet explorer website using my macbook on microsoft edge. however the website prompts me to download internet explorer 11 or higher in order to access.however i have not found a solution....
  4. Internet Explorer to Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Internet Explorer to Microsoft Edge: Hi Community,I’ve been trying to access an internet explorer website using my macbook on microsoft edge. however the website prompts me to download internet explorer 11 or higher in order to access.however i have not found a solution....
  5. Microsoft confirms Windows 10 bug causes internet connectivity issues

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft confirms Windows 10 bug causes internet connectivity issues: Windows 10 May 2020 Update has received fixes for major bugs in Microsoft’s monthly patches for July, but it looks like the update has yet another unpatched problem and it has been finally acknowledged by Microsoft. Microsoft has acknowledged that Windows 10 version 2004 is...
  6. internet explorer , not microsoft edge

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    internet explorer , not microsoft edge: hi all, I took my internet explorer off my task bar and now I cant use anything but Microsoft EDGE , which I hate. Can anyone tell me how I can get my old internet explorer search engine back? thanks james...
  7. How to enable confirm delete in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    How to enable confirm delete in File Explorer: Version 1903 (OS build 18362.535) How do I enable "confirm delete" in File Explorer? I already have it enabled in the Recycle Bin, but prefer to have it enabled in File Explorer. Thanks. 147315
  8. Internet is not working in Microsoft edge, internet explorer, Microsoft store and cortana....

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internet is not working in Microsoft edge, internet explorer, Microsoft store and cortana....: I tried reset internet properties and Inplace Microsoft upgrade but nothing helps. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/internet-is-not-working-in-microsoft-edge-internet/0297ef94-a40f-4378-baf1-cba90c6c75f5
  9. Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer 11

in Browsers and Email
    Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer 11: I play a game that when I click on a link in the Chat it opens my browser and opens it directly to the link, but my Default browser is Microsoft Edge but, it always opens for me Internet Explorer 11. Can anyone help me in this please? 31738
  10. Microsoft Confirms File Explorer Overhaul, Could Arrive in Redstone

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Confirms File Explorer Overhaul, Could Arrive in Redstone: Although no details have been provided, it’s expected that the upcoming File Explorer update could bring tabs and touch support, as these are two of the most requested features in the Windows 10 Feedback app at the moment. Tab support would allow users to work with multiple...