Windows 10: Microsoft Confirms Windows 11 Updates Cause Black Screens After Sign-In on Some Devices

Discus and support Microsoft Confirms Windows 11 Updates Cause Black Screens After Sign-In on Some Devices in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft has confirmed that recent Windows 11 updates can leave some devices on a black screen after sign-in, with the desktop session failing to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Sep 28, 2026 at 12:32 PM.

  1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

    Microsoft Confirms Windows 11 Updates Cause Black Screens After Sign-In on Some Devices


    Microsoft has confirmed that recent Windows 11 updates can leave some devices on a black screen after sign-in, with the desktop session failing to load, according to a new entry on the Windows release health dashboard.

    The issue affects Windows 11 versions 24H2, 25H2, and 26H1, and Microsoft has marked it as mitigated while a permanent fix is in development.

    The problem started with the August 2026 non-security preview update, KB5120998, and carries over into subsequent updates. Microsoft opened the known issue on September 24 and says it has primarily been observed on Azure Virtual Desktop hosts that use FSLogix for user profiles. The company adds that the issue appears more often with some existing user profiles.

    It is the latest in a run of September update problems for Windows 11, following the File History backup failures Microsoft fixed earlier this week.

    Symptoms Listed by Microsoft


    Microsoft lists three signs that a device is affected:

    • a black screen appears after sign-in and the desktop session does not load automatically
    • users cannot reach their desktop until the session is started manually
    • the Application event log records Windows Explorer crashes

    Server editions of Windows are not affected, according to Microsoft. The affected platform list covers client versions of Windows 11 only, even though most reports so far come from virtual desktop environments.

    Workarounds for Affected Windows 11 Devices


    Two workarounds are available. The first one is a manual method that starts Windows Explorer by hand, and Microsoft describes it as a temporary mitigation.

    1. Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open Task Manager.
    2. Select Run new task.
    3. Type explorer.exe and select OK.

    The second option is aimed at IT administrators who manage Windows updates for their organization. Microsoft has published Known Issue Rollback (KIR) Group Policy packages that disable the change responsible for the problem.

    Separate packages exist for Windows 11 version 26H1 (KB5124006 260924_20071 Known Issue Rollback) and for Windows 11 versions 24H2 and 25H2 (KB5124010 260924_20021 Known Issue Rollback).

    Administrators need to install the package and then configure the policy under Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates, followed by the Group Policy name for their Windows version.

    Microsoft notes that affected devices must be restarted before the setting takes effect. The rollback stays in place only until a resolution ships in a future Windows update.

    The Group Policy packages are intended for enterprise-managed devices where IT departments control updates. Users on personal PCs who see the black screen can rely on the Task Manager method until the permanent fix arrives.

    Microsoft says it is working on a resolution and will release it in a future Windows update, but it has not given a date or named the update that will carry the fix.

    Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Microsoft Confirms Windows 11 Updates Cause Black Screens After Sign-In on Some Devices appeared first on gHacks.

    read more...
     

  2. KB4497935 CAUSING INFINITE BLACK SCREEN WITH SPINNING CIRCLE

    Hi,

    Thanks for the reply and appreciate your efforts to work on this issue.

    Please answer these questions to get additional information for clarity:

    1. Are you getting a black screen before signing in to Windows 10?
    2. Are you getting a black or blank screen after signing in to Windows 10?
    3. Are you getting a black screen with spinning dots after restarting the device?

    Some of the common scenarios that can cause a black or blank screen to occur are connection problems with your display, display adapter driver update issues, or issues with recent updates or installations.

    Suggest you to follow the steps from this article to check if that works.

    Troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors:

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14106/windows-10-troubleshoot-black-screen-or-blank-screen-errors


    Let us know the result of the steps performed so that we can help you further.

    Awaiting your reply.

    Regards,

    Srimadhwa B

    Microsoft Community-Moderator
     
  3. Black screen after Windows 10 update, unable to access device screen

    Hi Joshua,

    Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

    As you are facing issues accessing desktop screen, do let us know the following to assist you better:

    • What is the make and model of your device?
    • Were you able to see any error code/ error message with this issue?

    I would like to inform that this issue might have occurred due to drivers for display adapter.

    I suggest you to refer to the steps in the Microsoft article check if it helps.

    Refer: Troubleshoot black screen problems

    As you are facing black screen issue before Sign-in, click on Black screen and not signed in to Windows 10.

    Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue and required information to assist you better.
     
    Deepika Gowda, Sep 28, 2026 at 12:34 PM
    #3
  4. Microsoft Confirms Windows 11 Updates Cause Black Screens After Sign-In on Some Devices

    Black screen error

    Hello,

    There are several reasons why you are facing a black screen issue. One of these is due to outdated or incorrect device drivers. For us to figure out what's causing this, provide more details by answering the listed questions:

    • Can you confirm to us if you are using a laptop or a computer?
    • Have you made any recent changes to your device prior to this happening?
    • What exactly were you doing when the error occurred?
    • Have you tried any troubleshooting steps to resolve this? If yes, specify all of the steps that you have done.

    As an initial part of troubleshooting, we suggest following the steps given on this article:

    Troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors
    . This will help you diagnose and rectify most of the known black screen concerns.

    We will wait for your response.
     
Thema:

Microsoft Confirms Windows 11 Updates Cause Black Screens After Sign-In on Some Devices

Loading...
  1. Microsoft Confirms Windows 11 Updates Cause Black Screens After Sign-In on Some Devices - Similar Threads - Microsoft Confirms Updates

  2. My laptop is showing a Black screen after some updates on windows 11

    in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop is showing a Black screen after some updates on windows 11: Hi, my laptop had installed some updates on Windows 11, i had selected update and shut down, now after starting my laptop it shows a black screen. Kindly help on how to sort this out?...
  3. My laptop is showing a Black screen after some updates on windows 11

    in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My laptop is showing a Black screen after some updates on windows 11: Hi, my laptop had installed some updates on Windows 11, i had selected update and shut down, now after starting my laptop it shows a black screen. Kindly help on how to sort this out?...
  4. After windows update, screen is black after sign in screen

    in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    After windows update, screen is black after sign in screen: Basically the title. I have tried this twice now, the first time a few months ago. I updated and everything was fine, I can see the sign in screen. I type in my pin and I am greeted by a black screen and can't see anything except the cursor. So I tried various fixes found on...
  5. After windows update, screen is black after sign in screen

    in Windows 10 Gaming
    After windows update, screen is black after sign in screen: Basically the title. I have tried this twice now, the first time a few months ago. I updated and everything was fine, I can see the sign in screen. I type in my pin and I am greeted by a black screen and can't see anything except the cursor. So I tried various fixes found on...
  6. After windows update, screen is black after sign in screen

    in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    After windows update, screen is black after sign in screen: Basically the title. I have tried this twice now, the first time a few months ago. I updated and everything was fine, I can see the sign in screen. I type in my pin and I am greeted by a black screen and can't see anything except the cursor. So I tried various fixes found on...
  7. Black screen after signing in

    in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black screen after signing in: I found some things online to possibly fix the problem but I can't try them yet so I'm wondering if I can get confirmed help from people who have had this problem before because this has never happened to me. Picture Thanks submitted by /u/SnooMacarons6339 [link]...
  8. Black screen after signing in

    in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Black screen after signing in: I was trying to sign in to windows after an update but after 10 seconds it just gives me a black screen. I've tried refreshing the screen, I cant open task manager even after doing ctrl + alt + del, and I've tries launching in safe mode but it just makes my sign-in screen...
  9. Microsoft confirms latest Windows 10 version 1803 update causes BSOD for some users

    in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft confirms latest Windows 10 version 1803 update causes BSOD for some users: The optional November cumulative update for Windows 10 April 2018 Update (version 1803) is causing BSOD on the Surface Book 2. Microsoft says that the Windows 10 Build 17134.441 is an optional update and it was released on November 27 to the general public. There appears to...
  10. Black Screen after signing in

    in Windows 10 Support
    Black Screen after signing in: My laptop recently undergone an update and it did not finish completely. During the update, my screen turned black and there was a box which says "Personalized Settings". I decided to turn off my computer and when i signed back in, it brought me to a black screen (with...