Windows 10: Microsoft could do better

Discus and support Microsoft could do better in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Latest update: slowed my PC to a snails pace for most of Monday December 7th; caused MS Office documents to slow down and freeze (probably the MS... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by HantsDave, Dec 9, 2015.

1. HantsDave Win User

Microsoft could do better

Latest update: slowed my PC to a snails pace for most of Monday December 7th; caused MS Office documents to slow down and freeze (probably the MS Office updates did that); stopped action centre from opening; stopped 'start' from working; changed most of the icons pinned to start; caused Norton Internet Security to stop working (luckily only temporary); put ENG back in the taskbar; may also have been the cause of thousands of 'bad-block' events on my C drive (strangely since the updating finished I have seen no such events!!!!) and possibly other things I have yet to find!

So ...
    Dear Mr Microsoft, when PCs are about to be updated it would be very helpful for your Customers (you remember them!) if you could arrange for a window to appear that says something along the lines ... 'The latest updates for (software names) are going to be downloaded and installed starting in 5 minutes. This may slow down your PC so best if you can save all your current work, close all open apps, make sure that power settings are set so that the hard drive does not turn itself off - set it to 'never', and then either go on to a PC running Windows 7 or go and do something else for the rest of the day, thanks'

Being retired I could live with that and save myself a lot of time needlessly worying about crashes, BSODS, app corruption and all the rest. I think that it is called 'communicating with your Customers'

There glad I got that off my chest.

HnatsDave in a grey, damp Hampshire, UK

:)

HantsDave, Dec 9, 2015

2. What did i do wrong or could have done better or still need to do while clean installing windows 10 on my laptop

hey all - as I write this I want to share I am not a geek on these things but surely never gave up on trying new things Microsoft could do better :)

so here is the story - I read and went through some youtube posts and that made me excited to buy a new SSD for my kinda 4 old laptop (Lenovo g 510) - so here is what I did -

1) bought a new ssd - Samsung evo 750

2) Played around with the current HDD settings - while trying to sort out partitions using Disk part ended up deleting some of my recovery partitions.

3) in order to create a recovery disk now I had to download the ISO recovery on my 16GB pendrive - I downloaded and kept the pen drive safe

4) using a sata - USB connector and proprietary Samsung software tried to clone my HDD to SSD - which it showed as completed

5) took the HDD out physically and installed my SSD

6) tried to boot but it wont and gave an error - something to do with recovery files missing

7) I used the Recovery USB flashdrive to fresh install the OS

8) logged in with my credentials and all worked ok.

it did not even ask me for a license key or anything - when I goto the settings and try to check under activation - it still shows that my home windows 10 license is active.

However here are the few things which are not working the way they should -

1) AMD drivers - autodetect - does not work - keeps failing to install

2) when I try to look up upon the HDD using the sata-usb connector - the disk does not show up as an external drive - and when I goto manage - Disk Management - it has a "i" symbol with a yellow bubble stating that there is some kind of clash with my current
    HDD and does not allow me to do anything to this DISK 1 - I wanted to keep the HDD for storage of pics and video while i run the SSD for OS and games. but now i don't know how to format or do anything with my HDD

What do i do - and where did i go wrong - do i need to unregister my old HDD and register my OS on new SSD - if yes how - if no what do i do to solve for the above two issues - this is only a beginning and I might face more such issues soon - so please advice.

InderveerGhai, Dec 9, 2015
  3. What did i do wrong or could have done better or still need to do while clean installing windows 10 on my laptop

Hi,

I realize that it must be difficult for you when things are not working as it should. I will try to help you.

You may also update all the device drivers from Device Manager and restart the computer to check if that helps.

How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10: How to: Install and Update Hardware Drivers in Windows 10

You may plug in the HDD using the SATA-USB connector to another PC to check if that helps. If there is no data on the HDD then you may want to format the drive using NTFS and then check if that helps.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Srimadhwa B, Dec 9, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

Hi and welcome to the forums.
    I suggest that you make your recommendations and comments via the MS Feedback. It's located here:

Microsoft could do better [​IMG]

BunnyJ, Dec 9, 2015
Thema:

1. Microsoft could do better - Similar Threads - Microsoft better

2. Microsoft! YOU BETTER FIX THIS NOW!!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft! YOU BETTER FIX THIS NOW!!!: Hello, I am running Windows 11 23H2 Home Insider Preview, and I am experiencing difficulties running Roblox, nothing opens.Is there any way to fix this without downgrading my operating system?If you are curious, here are my PC specifications below:...
  3. Microsoft! YOU BETTER FIX THIS NOW!!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft! YOU BETTER FIX THIS NOW!!!: Hello, I am running Windows 11 23H2 Home Insider Preview, and I am experiencing difficulties running Roblox, nothing opens.Is there any way to fix this without downgrading my operating system?If you are curious, here are my PC specifications below:...
  4. I bought and installed Windows 11 from Microsoft but it just gave me a better version of...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I bought and installed Windows 11 from Microsoft but it just gave me a better version of...: I bought a copy of windows 11 from Microsoft's website, but when i installed it it just gave me a better version of windows 10. i can't figure it out thru the updates section either. what am i missing or forgetting?* Changed to a question* Original title: why can't i figure...
  5. I bought and installed Windows 11 from Microsoft but it just gave me a better version of...

I bought and installed Windows 11 from Microsoft but it just gave me a better version of...: I bought a copy of windows 11 from Microsoft's website, but when i installed it it just gave me a better version of windows 10. i can't figure it out thru the updates section either. what am i missing or forgetting?* Changed to a question* Original title: why can't i figure...
  6. How can I find or better how can microsoft customer support help find my bitlocker key when...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I find or better how can microsoft customer support help find my bitlocker key when...: Please help me my computer is lock by the blue screen of bitlocker.* Moved from Community Center https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-find-or-better-how-can-microsoft/dccc95b4-11e4-4eb9-aad4-9cdbd5b16c53
  7. How can I find or better how can microsoft customer support help find my bitlocker key when...

How can I find or better how can microsoft customer support help find my bitlocker key when...: Please help me my computer is lock by the blue screen of bitlocker.* Moved from Community Center https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-find-or-better-how-can-microsoft/dccc95b4-11e4-4eb9-aad4-9cdbd5b16c53
  8. Why can't Microsoft do a better job of explaining when a deletion from ONE DRIVE ends up...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why can't Microsoft do a better job of explaining when a deletion from ONE DRIVE ends up...: I've received conflicting or misinformation about ONE DRIVE in terms of both what happens if you delete an item in the cloud and whether it also gets deleted on the hard drive - as well as misinformation about access to ONE DRIVE if one cancels a subscription. Even your own...
  9. Why can't Microsoft do a better job of explaining when a deletion from ONE DRIVE ends up...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why can't Microsoft do a better job of explaining when a deletion from ONE DRIVE ends up...: I've received conflicting or misinformation about ONE DRIVE in terms of both what happens if you delete an item in the cloud and whether it also gets deleted on the hard drive - as well as misinformation about access to ONE DRIVE if one cancels a subscription. Even your own...
  10. Why can't Microsoft do a better job of explaining when a deletion from ONE DRIVE ends up...