Windows 10: Microsoft could help Chrome suck less battery power on Windows 10

Discus and support Microsoft could help Chrome suck less battery power on Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Google Chrome is a fast and feature-rich browser, but it’s a notorious battery and resources hog that can reduce your Windows device’s performance. It... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Aug 7, 2019.

1. WinLatest New Member

Microsoft could help Chrome suck less battery power on Windows 10

Google Chrome is a fast and feature-rich browser, but it’s a notorious battery and resources hog that can reduce your Windows device’s performance. It seems that Microsoft has an idea in mind now that could improve battery life when streaming media content in Chromium-based browsers on Windows 10.

According to a month old commit that we spotted, Microsoft plans to improve battery life by avoiding unnecessary ‘Media Caching’ in Chromium. According to bug post filed by Microsoft engineer, media content is currently added to the general HTTP cache during acquisition and playback.

This behaviour negatively affects the battery life as it keeps the disk active which increases power and another downside is that it can prevent certain lower-power modes from being engaged in the operation system.

Microsoft’s proposal is to prevent streaming media content from being cached to disk where possible. The implementation of this change could improve the battery backup of the Chromium-browsers.

In a month old Github post, Microsoft says its solutions will not only reduce power consumption during media playback but also reduce the impact on functions that may rely on-disk caching. For instance, you’ll notice seek time performance improvements when you will forwards or rewinds a video clip by a second.

The following flag will be added to Chromium when the feature is approved:

Turn off caching of streaming media to disk – Reduces disk activity during media playback, which can result in power savings.

The post Microsoft could help Chrome suck less battery power on Windows 10 appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Aug 7, 2019
  2. Jessen P Win User

Window 10 sucks down my battery

Hi,

Thank you for being part of Microsoft Community.

• What is the make and model of the laptop?
    • What is the KB(Knowledge Base) number of that Windows update?

Perform the steps mentioned below to know the KB number of the update.

a: Press Windows key +X.

b: Then click Programs and Features.

c: Then click View installed updates.

I would like to inform you that Windows 10 is built in way to use battery very optimistically and in very efficient way. One of the new features in Windows 10 is included in the new Settings app. Battery saver - it's a feature to help Windows
    10 devices to save battery life by limiting background activity and automatically adjusting different system settings. This is in addition to battery usage reports for you to understand what is draining your battery. You can optimize battery usage yourself
    using this feature.

This issue may be cause by not updated drivers. This causes the battery drainage in PC. I suggest you to update all the drivers and check if issue is resolved.

Try to run Power Troubleshooter which is built troubleshooter and you may follow the steps mentioned below to run it.

• Press the Windows key and
      X at the same time.
    • Now click on Control panel.
    • In the search box of Control Panel type
      Troubleshooter, and select troubleshooting among the list.
    • Under System and Security, click
      Improve power usage.
    • Now try to run the troubleshooter and check if it helps.
    Note: If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Do get back to us for any issues pertaining in the future. We will be happy to help.

Jessen P, Aug 7, 2019
  3. New battery not charging

I suggested uninstall, not re-install.

There's an extended version of those instructions - the same idea, but some additional steps.
    Shut down hte machine
    Remove the battery - run on AC power only
    Device Manager > Batteries
    Uninstall Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery
    Shut down the machine

Remove AC power
    Wait 1 minte
    Insert Battery
    Connect AC power
    Start the machine

Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery should be reinstalled when the machine is booting

But, the .3 volts might be significant - I agree with Kbird

Slartybart, Aug 7, 2019
  4. Microsoft could help Chrome suck less battery power on Windows 10

Microsoft Selects Dolby Audio for Windows 10

it would've been great if microsoft added HEVC decoders, LAV filters along with other codecs with Windows 10, and developing WMP to be better than VLC, KMPlayer and such sorts of media players.

Nevertheless, this is good step for microsoft, by far.

Analog_Interface, Aug 7, 2019
Thema:

Microsoft could help Chrome suck less battery power on Windows 10

1. Microsoft could help Chrome suck less battery power on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Microsoft help Chrome

2. Microsoft sucks

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft sucks: Why does Microsoft’s customer service suck so bad? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-sucks/fa8d93b9-d292-4290-b4c8-d2316ec2c181
  3. Microsoft sucks

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft sucks: Why does Microsoft’s customer service suck so bad? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-sucks/fa8d93b9-d292-4290-b4c8-d2316ec2c181
  4. microsoft sucks

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    microsoft sucks: use linux https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-sucks/e26c7e1b-9ae9-4781-85c6-62b5a7d6cb72
  5. Chrome could soon suck less battery power during video playback

in Windows 10 News
    Chrome could soon suck less battery power during video playback: Google Chrome is fast but it can kill your battery life when you play videos on your Windows laptop. Unlike Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome is a notorious battery hog that if left to run in the background with videos playing can reduce your laptop or tablet to just a couple of...
  6. Microsoft Sucks!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Microsoft Sucks!: Why do you have to make everything so damned complicated? Why is it so difficult for you to write a piece of software that works? Do you enjoy making people's lives miserable? Are some kind of sadists? I absolutely hate how you've destroyed the computing world! Do you also...
  7. Windows 10 on Battery Power

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 on Battery Power: When I unplug the power adapter on my laptop Windows or something goes into a power saving mode that down-clocks my GPU to oblivion making moving windows around a struggle. I would like to know if there is anyway to make this not happen. I don't care about battery life that...
  8. Microsoft Edge Sucks so Bad went Back to Chrome

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Microsoft Edge Sucks so Bad went Back to Chrome: I have tried really hard to get used to Edge and use it with Windows 10 but the functionality is just so bad I have finally gone back to Chrome, despite how much I dislike Google tracking everything I do. Half of the streaming cameras for road conditions and traffic don't...
  9. Windows Power Battery

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Power Battery: I want my power mode to stay in "best performance" when I am using battery power. I have an HP Envy laptop and the display goes dim when I move to battery power. Is there any way I can adjust the settings so the "best performance" power mode is the default and I don't need...
  10. Is there any truth in Edge using less battery than Chrome?

in Browsers and Email
    Is there any truth in Edge using less battery than Chrome?: I got a pop up message on my machine stating that using chrome uses more battery than Edge browser. I feel this is a cheap marketing tactic from MS which really should not be happening in the OS. Question though - is there any truth in it? [img] 67470