Windows 10: Microsoft Defender and Third Part AV Programs

Discus and support Microsoft Defender and Third Part AV Programs in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have a new pc with Windows 10. Checking out AV options. Trying to work out whether Microsoft Defender is comprehensive enough for current threats, or... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by JGee1, Dec 2, 2020.

1. JGee1 Win User

Microsoft Defender and Third Part AV Programs

I have a new pc with Windows 10. Checking out AV options. Trying to work out whether Microsoft Defender is comprehensive enough for current threats, or whether to supplement with third party AV if that’s possible without disabling Defender.

A technician told me that Defender doesn’t guard against Ransomeware, a particular concern of mine since a specific problem a few years back. Defender seems to have been rated highly following recent testing by the AV Test organisation, would the community agree with this, or have any advice please?

In the interests of full information, the pc also came with one free month of McAfee Livesafe, so not sure whether I have a potential AV conflict currently.

:)

JGee1, Dec 2, 2020

2. Can't turn on Windows Defender, message that another AV program is running

I only have windows defender on my computer. It still says that another AV program is running and I cannot turn on window defender's AV.

Any suggestions??

Matt

Original title: windows defender

Matt_H_2000, Dec 2, 2020
  3. Delly10 Win User
    Is Windows Defender an AV program, and is it enough?

Wow! I never would have guessed that to be the case. It used to be that Microsoft and Windows were always lacking things that third party developers would step in to fix. But for MS to actually have the best one is really a big surprise.
    Another surprise in that chart in your link was that Malwarebytes scored at lowest in terms of protection. They are always so highly spoken of.

Delly10, Dec 2, 2020
  4. Le Boule Win User

3rd party AV program

The message you are describing may be observed if another antivirus program is still installed or there are remnants of a third party antivirus program still installed.

Turn Windows Security on or off
    Note the statement "If you want to use Windows Defender Antivirus, uninstall all of your other antivirus programs and Windows Defender Antivirus will automatically turn on. You may be asked to restart your device."

Go to Security and Maintenance, look in 'Security' and see what program is listed under Virus Protection. Windows Defender will not be enabled and functioning properly if there is a program other than Windows Defender listed.

For further information see the reply of quietman7 in Windows Defender

You may want to try the steps recommended in Problems
    starting Windows Defender in Windows 8/8.1/10
    to include running SFC, scanning for malware with Malwarebytes and running the software removal tools for any security software (Avast,
    AVG, McAfee, Norton, whatever) that may have previously been on the computer followed by a reboot? List of
    anti-malware product removal tools

And see Configure Windows Defender in Windows
    8, 8.1 and 10

If you can't resolve this issue suggest you post back in this thread and provide additional information.

Regards…

Top 10 Ways PUPs Sneak Onto Your Computer. And How To Avoid Them. | Emsisoft | Security Blog

Le Boule, Dec 2, 2020
Thema:

1. Microsoft Defender and Third Part AV Programs - Similar Threads - Microsoft Defender Third

2. Why does Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry modify a third part application?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry modify a third part application?: My VIPRE reports that it blocked the "Telemetry" attempted to modify armlink.exe that comes from TI's CCSV5.Here is the reportEvent Type2 -- NotifyTimeout0sMonitor Source2003 -- On File AccessMessage ID{E59653E1-6450-4AE4-B0C9-994EAD5FFF38}Monitor Type2 -- FileRecommend...
  3. Why does Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry modify a third part application?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Why does Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry modify a third part application?: My VIPRE reports that it blocked the "Telemetry" attempted to modify armlink.exe that comes from TI's CCSV5.Here is the reportEvent Type2 -- NotifyTimeout0sMonitor Source2003 -- On File AccessMessage ID{E59653E1-6450-4AE4-B0C9-994EAD5FFF38}Monitor Type2 -- FileRecommend...
  4. Windows Defender AV not disabling

Windows Defender AV not disabling: I work for a MSP, and our client has Cylance. For some reason, Windows Defender AV will not disable. Endpoints in question: Windows 10 Pro, domain joined Domain functional level: Windows Server 2012 R2 My first attempt was to configure a domain GPO: Computer...
  5. Defender AV Scan

Defender AV Scan: I know we don't have access to what a quick scan does on a consistent basis, but is there a way of retroactively seeing what was included in said scan? Log files, .cab, etc.? And were would those be located/ what is the preferred way of reading those? Thank you!...
  6. Windows defender AV is gone..

Windows defender AV is gone..: Suddenly defender AV is gone - it doesn't appear in the security at glance menu. As if it is not installed. How can I get it back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-av-is-gone/125fbdb3-a6c2-48d2-a9c2-c6ce012c35e3
  7. Disabled third parts software

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disabled third parts software: A Microsoft technician disabled my third party anti-virus software - Now I can't reenable it. How do I accomplish this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disabled-third-parts-software/19dda20f-f782-4cc9-90b1-4c73c7ea5634
  8. Is Windows Defender an AV program, and is it enough?

Is Windows Defender an AV program, and is it enough?: When I google what Windows Defender is, it's sometimes referred to as an anti-spyware program, and other times it's called an anti-virus program. Is it both? And is it good enough to use it instead of also getting something like Avast as an anti-virus? I would hope that...
  9. Defender vs 3rd Party AV programs?

Defender vs 3rd Party AV programs?: Since Windows Defender is dominating the AV world, now why do most enterprises are still sticking with 3rd party AV programs like McAfee or Symantec? Are these two still better than running Defender? I believe Defender even has its own central management solution for...
  10. (Allow option) in a AV program.

(Allow option) in a AV program.: I'm looking for a AV (AntiVirus) program that has an Allow Threat or something close on its popup's. I wish not to always send the program away or have it blocked. I know i can add it into the program itself but that has to be done every week when the file is uploaded to me....