Windows 10: Microsoft Defender can ironically be used to download malware

Discus and support Microsoft Defender can ironically be used to download malware in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Cart before the horse??? https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-defender-can-ironically-be-used-to-download-malware/ ~rhab... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by rhabdomantist, Sep 2, 2020.

1. Microsoft Defender can ironically be used to download malware

rhabdomantist, Sep 2, 2020
  2. Drone Win User

The Big Useful List Of Free Useful Programs To Use Usually For Free

IObit Malware Fighter

I haven't tested it against Windows Defender but it has some really nice features.

Not sure if I posted it before:

Microsoft Mathematics provides a graphing calculator that plots in 2D and 3D, step-by-step equation solving, and useful tools to help students with math and science studies.

Drone, Sep 2, 2020
  3. Windows Defender Fails Malware Test

Naw... I'll just stick by Windows Server 2003 SP #1 fully hotfix patched (& current on that note), for now @ least, & doing what I do, to get THIS kind of security analysis score:

Microsoft Defender can ironically be used to download malware APKBelarcAdvisor5of10ScoreBETTERThan417Before.jpg

I never suck in virus' either! The 2 the times I thought I did, the past 15 years now? They were my own fault (running 2 antivirus once, & another I don't know WHAT caused it, or I can't recall specifics anymore) in "false positives"!

Ever since I started implementing a BOAT LOAD of things ANYONE can do, if they take 45 min. - 1 hr. running, or doing:

• BELARC advisor
    • Using some security & speed oriented .reg file hacks
    • gpedit.msc (altering various policies for better security)
    • secpol.msc (hardening default security policies)
    • lusrmgr.msc (hardening default userrights)
    • regedit.exe (registry hive ACL rights)
    • explorer.exe (NTFS rights)
    • Turning off java/javascript & ActiveX/ActiveScripting in browsers
    • Using Tcp/IP ports filtrating (easy to do in IP properties)
    • Turning off Services I do NOT use that may have holes
    • AntiVirus (AntiVir, NOD32, AVG, or Norton Corporate 10.2 edition (my favs @ least - I keep 1 resident, & one other as a 2nd opinion))
    • AntiSpyware program (I like AdAware & SpyBot + use both, 2nd opinion stuff again)
    • SEVERAL AntiRootkit programs (GMER, AVG, BitDefender, BlackLight, Rootkit Buster, Rootkit Revealer, AntiRootKit, Rootkit Hook Analyzer, Sophos - all many doctors opinions from what I feel IS the biggest threat out there now, rootkits)
    • + using a hardware NAT firewall in combination w/ a software firewall (ZoneAlarm used to be good, & the native Windows firewall isn't bad, except for noting outgoing packets)
    • Keeping up on Microsoft security patches to the OS & programs from them I use
    • Being SMART about not opening email attachments & also using TEXT or RTF as my email reading format too
    • After trimming services I do NOT use (& even the ones I don't as well, set disabled or not), I secure them ALL, per this thread:
    Securing Windows 2000/XP/Server 2003 services HOW TO

• Using adbanner blocking HOSTS files (adbanners have been found to hold malicious code more than a few times the past 4-5 years now mind you)
    *HARD TO BELIEVE ON THAT NOTE OF ADBANNERS HOUSING MALWARES IN SCRIPT & MORE?

CHECK THIS, DATED TODAY 02/21/2007:

Microsoft apologises for serving malware

APC's September issue is on sale now! | TechRadar

*Smile Microsoft Defender can ironically be used to download malware :)

* YOU DO ALL OF THAT? Yes, You CAN be safe online & use Windows, just takes a bit of work... 1 hr. implementing it all, & maybe another 1/2 hr. testing it (like when you secure services - I did a BIG list, but not every possible service under the sun, because I have not run them ALL!)

MS ships their Operating Systems 'generic' enough to run on anything FULL FUNCTION, right outta the box... this can be its 'problem' too!

APK

P.S.=> Funny thing is though, I don't think we'll EVER be "110% solid secure" unless we go OFFLINE... @ least not for another 5 yrs. or so & then I think we'll be REALLY close @ least!

Microsoft's taking the RIGHT steps, in the RIGHT direction in their apps & OS, & so are other vendors too... this is a GREAT trend!

Heck - funny thing is? Snort turned up a security hole the other day... a program you CAN use to defend yourself... mistakes & oversights get made is all, still now even.

Today? It's the "Wild West" still, not as bad as it used to be in the earlier days/decades, but still 'risky' to an extent... still in the Stone Age guys, you'll miss these days, when they are gone... apk

Alec§taar, Sep 2, 2020
  4. Microsoft Defender can ironically be used to download malware

Windows Defender notification of malware detection

Hello,

Thank you for keeping us posted and we appreciate your continued patience on this issue.

At this point, I suggest you to update the Windows Defender program and check if it helps.

To check for new Windows Defender definitions manually:

• Open Windows Defender.
    • Click the arrow next to the Help button, and then click Check for updates. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Also, check if the detection is of the same malware file or not. Again, see if it is any specific program or a file you try to access which triggers the detection.

Additionally, view the log in Event Viewer to check if the malware is removed every time it is prompted.

To open the Event Viewer. To do so, follow the below steps.
    • Go to the Control Panel and choose to click on the
      Administrative Tools icon.
    • The above action will open up a new window of the Administrative Tools where you will see the
      Event Viewer.
    You can view Windows Defender "Operational" events in Event Viewer under Applications and Services Logs -> Microsoft -> Windows -> Windows Defender.

Kindly keep us posted, for us to be able to assist you further.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, Sep 2, 2020
Thema:

Microsoft Defender can ironically be used to download malware

1. Microsoft Defender can ironically be used to download malware - Similar Threads - Microsoft Defender ironically

2. Can Windows Defender do scans for virus and malware?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can Windows Defender do scans for virus and malware?: I had a fake malware warning show up on my computer, called the "2V7HGTVB" scam. I didn't fall for it and didn't call the phone number given, but I thought it would be a good idea to scan my computer, which has Windows 10 in S mode.I asked Copilot, and was given several...
  3. Microsoft Defender or Malware?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Defender or Malware?: When Microsoft Defender updates I get a blue screen that reads "Do Not Turn Off Comupter. Updating" and I lose control of my mouse and can't shut off from Task Manager. Is this normal or do I have malware appearing as Microsoft Defender?...
  4. Microsoft Defender or Malware?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Defender or Malware?: When Microsoft Defender updates I get a blue screen that reads "Do Not Turn Off Comupter. Updating" and I lose control of my mouse and can't shut off from Task Manager. Is this normal or do I have malware appearing as Microsoft Defender?...
  5. Defender detected malware

Defender detected malware: Hi,in my environment the file 7zG.exe got deployed automatically to 100+ devices not manually or not from SCCM- not sure how it got deployed the defender has detected malware in it due to this, we have received 100+ alert generated for the same and still continuing.does this...
  6. can not scan my PC using microsoft defender

can not scan my PC using microsoft defender: Hello all, my name is Cathy, but I prefer to be called cat. I am having a major problem. I am running windows 10 and once in awhile I like to scan my whole system with windows defender. Just to be safe. I have not done this in a while, so I went to start the advanced scan,...
  7. Microsoft Defender can ironically be used to download malware

Microsoft Defender can ironically be used to download malware: News at Bleeping Computer. Things like this make me want to install a different AV. 163763
  8. Iron Python

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Iron Python: This product was property of the Microsoft, this is a implementation of a Python. I have dificulty to install IronPython API, using Visual Studio Professional 2019. How i do? I need install the iron python on the environment. I need 2 environment on my program. Someone can...
  9. using Microsoft defender

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    using Microsoft defender: I am running Microsoft defender on the 4 march 19 windows gave an update request to install an update to windows 10, as I had finished what I was doing I started the update. on going back to the computer there was a Microsoft error on the screen but no response to keyboard or...
  10. Download contained a malware, Windows Defender blocked

Download contained a malware, Windows Defender blocked: I downloaded a file, and Windows Defender immediately popped up, saying a severe malware was found and quarantined, I deleted it. But, at first I didn't notice that the download itself contained the malware, so I downloaded it again (Who knew it can discover a malware while...