Windows 10: Microsoft Defender custom scan results show incorrect time and number of files scanned

Discus and support Microsoft Defender custom scan results show incorrect time and number of files scanned in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Edition: Windows 10 Home Version: 2004 OS build: 19041.508 When I use Microsoft Defender to scan a file, the results show incorrect time and number... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by JohnJ8, Sep 27, 2020.

1. JohnJ8 Win User

Microsoft Defender custom scan results show incorrect time and number of files scanned

Edition: Windows 10 Home
    Version: 2004
    OS build: 19041.508​

When I use Microsoft Defender to scan a file, the results show incorrect time and number of files scanned.​

I tested this on a single plain text file and a new folder containing a single plain text file.​

I tried 2 methods:
    1 right-click on a file, then "Scan with Microsoft Defender ..."
    2 Windows Security
    -> Virus & threat protection
    -> Scan options
    -> Custom scan
    -> Scan now
    -> Select folder ​

The results are like this​

1 No current threats​

2 Last scan: <yesterday or many hours ago>​

3 0 threats found​

4 Scan lasted x minutes y seconds​

5 <tens_of_thousands> files scanned
    Lines 2, 4, 5 are obviously wrong.​

Can this be fixed so I have some assurance Microsoft Defender is actually scanning the selected files?​

:)

JohnJ8, Sep 27, 2020
  2. MCK
    mck Win User

Windows 10 Defender scanning downloaded files

Running Win10 Home 64bit on a MSI Z270-A PRO motherboard, i7-6700, 16 GB ram.
    This is a new build for me and I just installed Win10 Home and did all updates.

When I download programs with Defender running, do I have to manually scan the file before installing the program?

When I tried to manually scan a downloaded program using the following method, it doesn't show results of the scan:
    • Rt click the file name.
    • In the pop up menu, click "Scan with Windows Defender"
    • A window pops up showing "Full Scan", "Custom Scan" and "Windows defender offline scan", but no results of the individual file scan.
    Thanks for any ideas.

3. JoeJY Win User
    Windows defender custom scan does not scan external drives

I have Defender Windows 10. I tried using custom scan to select and scan external drives. The screen listing the drives comes up, but the "OK" button remains grayed out so unable to scan any of the drives listed. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

JoeJY, Sep 27, 2020
  4. Craneum Win User

Microsoft Defender custom scan results show incorrect time and number of files scanned

Microsoft Software Defender - Total number of files scanned resulted differently on quick scans

Ran twice & number of files were very diferent
    with almost 100% more files !

It would be nice if MS Defender would show the equivalente same number of files scanned on quick scan on the same consecutive hour in situations where no new number of files were ever created or added to the computer running Windows 8.1.?

Craneum, Sep 27, 2020
Thema:

1. Microsoft Defender custom scan results show incorrect time and number of files scanned - Similar Threads - Microsoft Defender custom

2. Windows Defender run time & number of files scanned

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender run time & number of files scanned: I have Windows 10, with all updates installed. When I run Windows Defender's Full Scan, it varies widely as to how long it takes to run and the number of files scanned. Today I ran a full scan and it finished in 21 minutes 214,812 files scanned. I thought this was not right,...
  3. Windows Defender run time & number of files scanned

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Defender run time & number of files scanned: I have Windows 10, with all updates installed. When I run Windows Defender's Full Scan, it varies widely as to how long it takes to run and the number of files scanned. Today I ran a full scan and it finished in 21 minutes 214,812 files scanned. I thought this was not right,...
  4. Windows Defender run time & number of files scanned

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Microsoft defender scan result is 0x40010004

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft defender scan result is 0x40010004: I schedule a scan using Task Scheduler as follows:"%ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun.exe"with parms of:-Scan -ScanType 2 -GetFilesI received a return code of 0x40010004What does that mean?My PC froze up today after that, too, but I'm not sure it was because of that....
  6. Microsoft defender scan result is 0x40010004

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft defender scan result is 0x40010004: I schedule a scan using Task Scheduler as follows:"%ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun.exe"with parms of:-Scan -ScanType 2 -GetFilesI received a return code of 0x40010004What does that mean?My PC froze up today after that, too, but I'm not sure it was because of that....
  7. Microsoft defender scan result is 0x40010004

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Defender scanned file number - report

Defender scanned file number - report: Hello,I have to somehow create a txt file with the result of a full scan.I can see it / when it ran, how many files scanned, No threats found ... But It can not be copied. I checked the log files - but it is not contained the data above .How can I create a custom report - I...
  9. Windows defender not showing quick scan results

Windows defender not showing quick scan results: My laptop is running weird all of a sudden, a local E drive is coming out of nowhere, lagging when i use setting,quick scan results even says not accessible...
  10. no scan results for defender offline scan

no scan results for defender offline scan: After performing an offline scan, after rebooting I cannot find the results for the scan. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/no-scan-results-for-defender-offline-scan/cf4765f0-7e06-4d9d-a736-39f1b8e4c695