Windows 10: Microsoft Defender Ransomware Protection Block Powershell.exe

Discus and support Microsoft Defender Ransomware Protection Block Powershell.exe in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; windows Defender block this App Protecd Folder: %system%\CatRoot -Chome.exe -MRT.exe -powershell.exe -takeown.exe ********** And ***********... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Thomasisad, Feb 4, 2021.

1. Microsoft Defender Ransomware Protection Block Powershell.exe

windows Defender block this App Protecd Folder: %system%\CatRoot

-Chome.exe
    -MRT.exe
    -powershell.exe
    -takeown.exe

********** And ***********
    -mscorsvw.exe (windows Defender block this App Protecd Folder:%system%\config\systemprofile)
    -attrib.exe (windows Defender block this App Protecd Folder:%system%\inetsrv\config\schema)
    -icacls.exe (windows Defender block this App Protecd Folder:%system%\inetsrv)

ProcessorAMD Ryzen 5 4600H with Radeon Graphics 3.00 GHz
    Installed RAM16.0 GB (15.4 GB usable)
    System type64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

EditionWindows 10 Home Single Language
    Version20H2
    Installed on‎2/‎5/‎2021
    OS build19042.789
    ExperienceWindows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0

:)

Thomasisad, Feb 4, 2021

2. Allow rundll32.exe in Windows 10 ransomware protection settings?

When trying to import photos from my phone, Windows' ransomware protection (controlled folder access) blocked rundll32.exe from writing to my Pictures photo.

Would it be OK to put rundll32.exe on the list of allowed apps, or is there (can there be) malware/ransomware that uses rundll32.exe to do its thing?

I don't know enough about what rundll32.exe can or can't do in order to sensibly judge the risks I'm taking by allowing it to write to the Users folders...

Tim Pietzcker, Feb 4, 2021
  3. ms609 Win User

Microsoft Defender Ransomware Protection Block Powershell.exe

Which programs have tried to access protected folders blocked by Windows ransomware defender?

In short: Is it possible to list programs that Windows has denied access to a protected folder?

I recently enabled the Ransomware protection functionality in Windows Defender, adding a series of folders to the Controlled Folder Access list. Some of these folders are under Git version control (via Github Desktop), or synchronised using Syncthing (via SyncTrayzor). I've added the canonical versions of git.exe and syncthing.exe within C:/Program Files to the Allowed App list, but I now receive messages telling me that windows has blocked attempts to access files in protected folders by C:/Users/.../git.exe and C:/Users/.../syncthing.exe.

Annoyingly, the ellipsis hides most of the path to the executable file. A windows search of my user directory eventually turns up a number of copies of git.exe, and it's not immediately clear which of these was trying to edit the files. Ransomware protection's limited user interface means it takes ages to add each file individually, and this seems like a poor security choice: a smart attacker might entitle their malware git.exe to trick me into allowing access.

How can I see the full path of the blocked file (particularly after the notification prompt has disappeared from my screen)?

I can't see anything relevant in the Windows event log.

ms609, Feb 4, 2021
Thema:

Microsoft Defender Ransomware Protection Block Powershell.exe

1. Microsoft Defender Ransomware Protection Block Powershell.exe - Similar Threads - Microsoft Defender Ransomware

2. Windows Defender Ransomware Protection off

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Defender Ransomware Protection off: Hello is again me, i just today looking in Windows Defender and i was just looking on some things and i haved ransomware protection off for like 3 years. Is this something weird? Or just something I had to turn on when I bought the computer? Thanks Max...
  3. Windows Defender Ransomware Protection off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender Ransomware Protection off: Hello is again me, i just today looking in Windows Defender and i was just looking on some things and i haved ransomware protection off for like 3 years. Is this something weird? Or just something I had to turn on when I bought the computer? Thanks Max...
  4. Windows Defender Ransomware Protection off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Ransomware Protection keeps blocking svchost.exe

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Ransomware Protection keeps blocking svchost.exe: Recently for whatever reason my Ransomware Protection has started to block svchost.exe from %userprofile%\videos? This happens every time I turn on my PC, I also very odd to because last I checked svchost.exe is legitimate host process and this has just started happening out...
  6. Access to Ransomware Protection blocked

in Windows 10 Customization
    Access to Ransomware Protection blocked: I've seen multiple articles published recently that mention that Microsoft has built in ransomeware protection in Windows 10 and suggest that you can access this protection by specifying "Rasomware Protection" in the search bar. I've done this but when I press enter to access...
  7. WinSAT.exe blocked by Windows Security Ransomware Protection

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WinSAT.exe blocked by Windows Security Ransomware Protection: Windows 10 Home 1909 Protected Memory Access Blocked for WinSAT.exe Protected Folder: \Device\HarddiskVolume3 I have been having problems connecting external hard drives (that's on another thread on this forum) and I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it? I've...
  8. Windows Defender and Ransomware Protection Keep Deactivating

Windows Defender and Ransomware Protection Keep Deactivating: Since the previous Windows Update on restart either Windows Defender is deactivated or I'm shut out of ransomware protection settings, I'm not sure though if ransomware protection is disabled. When I reactivate Windows Defender I also have to reactivate periodic scanning....
  9. Windows Defender Ransomware Protection - Error: Unauthorised Changes Blocked for App Added...

Windows Defender Ransomware Protection - Error: Unauthorised Changes Blocked for App Added...: I'm using: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit After the recent Windows update I am getting the following error when converting books in Calibre. [ATTACH] I have added all the exe files in C:\Program Files\Calibre2 including calibre-parallel to the Allowed Apps list: [ATTACH] But...
  10. Win 10 Ransomware protection blocks iTunes

Win 10 Ransomware protection blocks iTunes: Enabled Ransomware protection and now iTunes won't open. If I turn it off iTunes opens fine. I assume its because a default folder that iTunes uses (Music?) is part of the protected folders. I use the iTunes program, not the new app that MS recently added to their store. I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Protected folder access blocked rundll32.exe