Windows 10: Microsoft Defender still real-time scanning files on network drives even though the drives...

Discus and support Microsoft Defender still real-time scanning files on network drives even though the drives... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So I have some network drives mapped on my computer and a program that periodically scans them for any file changes. Every time it does this the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/nachoha, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Microsoft Defender still real-time scanning files on network drives even though the drives...

So I have some network drives mapped on my computer and a program that periodically scans them for any file changes. Every time it does this the network activity slows to a crawl because "Microsoft Defender Antivirus Service" starts using 800Mbps of traffic. I have all of the network drives added to the Defender Exclusions list, I have Cloud Delivered Protection and Automatic Sample Submission turned off, I have created firewall rules to allow all traffic to and from the remote machines IP (Static IP) yet it still keeps scanning the files as they're accessed. What am I missing?

submitted by /u/nachoha
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/nachoha, Sep 22, 2020

2. Does the defender real time scan extend to attached drives?

I would like to know whether Windows Defender's real time scan extends to usb attached storage devices like flash drives, HDDs and SSDs?

If i transferred an infected file from (a) laptop HDD to USB drive and (ii) from USB drive to laptop HDD would Defender catch these infections (assuming it can identify the malware signature)?

Mr. Keskar, Sep 22, 2020
  3. JoeJY Win User
    Windows defender custom scan does not scan external drives

I have Defender Windows 10. I tried using custom scan to select and scan external drives. The screen listing the drives comes up, but the "OK" button remains grayed out so unable to scan any of the drives listed. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

JoeJY, Sep 22, 2020
  4. Brian Cab Win User

Microsoft Defender still real-time scanning files on network drives even though the drives...

Windows defender custom scan does not scan external drives

Hi Joe,

to scan external drives using Windows Defender, follow the steps provided below.

• Open Windows Defender.
    • Go to Settings tab.
    • Select the Advanced option.
    • tick the checkbox for Scan removable drives.

Regards.

Brian Cab, Sep 22, 2020
Thema:

Microsoft Defender still real-time scanning files on network drives even though the drives...

1. Microsoft Defender still real-time scanning files on network drives even though the drives... - Similar Threads - Microsoft Defender still

2. Microsoft defender real time protection

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft defender real time protection: I'm not using any other antivirus program but windows sees something and ıt's blocking defender realtime protection. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/microsoft-defender-real-time-protection/e0b61079-a7e9-4f10-b8c6-f638de94e405
  3. Does the defender real time scan extend to attached drives?

Does the defender real time scan extend to attached drives?: I would like to know whether Windows Defender's real time scan extends to usb attached storage devices like flash drives, HDDs and SSDs? If i transferred an infected file from a laptop HDD to USB drive and ii from USB drive to laptop HDD would Defender catch these...
  4. Real Time file Scanning

in Windows 10 Customization
    Real Time file Scanning: Hey guys, how do you turn off real time file scanning? Im trying to download CCS https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/real-time-file-scanning/c204fde1-1410-4626-8f5b-c8d6c5d34eb2
  5. Windows Defender - fails to scan network drives

Windows Defender - fails to scan network drives: I have regularly used Windows Defender to scan drives mapped from my network, using Custom scans. All of a sudden it won't do that any more: it accepts the instruction, but immediately returns saying it has scanned 0 files, found 0 problems, and taken 1 second. I have...
  6. Big slowdown with Windows Defender real-time file scanning

Big slowdown with Windows Defender real-time file scanning: I'm a self-employed software developer in the US, using Windows 10 64-bit. I keep the OS updated with the latest patches. I have hundreds of thousands of small files on my PC, and last week suddenly noticed a huge performance hit, for example when archiving the files using...
  7. Disabling Defender real-time protection let me still scan folder tree?

Disabling Defender real-time protection let me still scan folder tree?: Assume I disable real-time protection of Windows defender. To be sure: This does NOT mean that I disable Defender completely. I can still use it to scan a dir tree or even a whole partition on demand (e.g. by context menu). Correct? Peter 141337
  8. Windows Defender real time scanning problem with USB flash drives?

Windows Defender real time scanning problem with USB flash drives?: Has anybody else had any issues when using USB flash drives with antivirus real time scanning? Today I was putting my flash drive back to factory settings using Diskpart. Everything went as expected until after I completed the full format to FAT32. The last line in Diskpart I...
  9. How to Disable Windows 10 real time scan of removable drives...?

How to Disable Windows 10 real time scan of removable drives...?: How to Disable Windows 10 real time scan of removable drives when inserted? Each time, I plug it in. I get a notice that there is a virus. I already know what the files do, they are just a couple of pups. I know I can disable after inserted but I want any removable drive I...
  10. folders appear empty even though data is still on drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    folders appear empty even though data is still on drives: my mother who is running Windows 10 has not turned her computer on and quite some time. However this morning when she turned her PC on any folder she clicked on appears to be empty however the drive indicators in the "this computer" window show that there is data on the drive...