Windows 10: MICROSOFT DEFENDER WONT ACTIVATE.....VIRUS & THREAT PROTECTION SERVICE WON"T START

Discus and support MICROSOFT DEFENDER WONT ACTIVATE.....VIRUS & THREAT PROTECTION SERVICE WON"T START in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Microsoft Defender has been attacked again, regardless of the presence of Tamper Protection. The following symptom has occurred twice recently, and... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by GlenProuty, Sep 15, 2020.

1. MICROSOFT DEFENDER WONT ACTIVATE.....VIRUS & THREAT PROTECTION SERVICE WON"T START

Microsoft Defender has been attacked again, regardless of the presence of Tamper Protection.

The following symptom has occurred twice recently, and more of the same, will surely follow.

If you find that you cannot activate Defender, and the Virus & Threat Protection Service will not

start, you may be the victim of this latest threat. It demonstrates itself as follows.

MICROSOFT DEFENDER WONT ACTIVATE.....VIRUS & THREAT PROTECTION SERVICE WON"T START f4b1209b-6826-4a89-9417-abde9b008f12?upload=true.png

MICROSOFT DEFENDER WONT ACTIVATE.....VIRUS & THREAT PROTECTION SERVICE WON"T START b081db62-09e8-4be6-9d05-249920eba7d8?upload=true.png

This is apparently caused by some entity, probably malware, that somehow defeats the

protection of Tamper Protection!

Somehow the Defender Registry Key is being modified, so that Defender cannot see,

whether or not its Services are running. These Services are required.

1. Security Center Running and set for Automatic delayed start. WSCSVC

2. Windows Security Service Running and set for Manual start. SecurityHealthService

3. Microsoft Defender Antivirus Service Running and set for Automatic start. WinDefend

A modification is being made to this Registry Key.

Hkey_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows Defender. The sub key

IsServiceRunning is being deleted.

MICROSOFT DEFENDER WONT ACTIVATE.....VIRUS & THREAT PROTECTION SERVICE WON"T START 2c620bb1-22a7-425e-aa4b-ad0e026d09e3?upload=true.jpg

Repair Upgrade may be the only solution for this problem.

If you have access to another PC of similar configuration, you might try "Exporting" this Key to a USB.

Transfer the .reg file to your desktop. Put your PC into Safe Mode, and double-click the .reg file, to

merge it into your Registry. Observe both Registry keys before you start. Ensure that the only difference

between them is the missing "IsServiceRunning" sub key. I have not done this

Good luck, Glen

:)

GlenProuty, Sep 15, 2020

2. Virus and threat protection not working

Hi there, I recently reinstalled my windows and the Virus and threat protection is down! I have found that I am missing the 'Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection Service ' and 'Windows Defender Security Center Service' files
    from my services list, I have looked into this and can find no solution to fixing this issue, if anyone can help it would be much appreciated!!

Matthew_5196, Sep 15, 2020
  3. Window Defender's virus & threat protection service has stopped

There seems to have been a hiccup in the Patch Tuesday updates that might need to be resolved with some unconventional methods of restarting the Threat Service (Windows Defender Antivirus Service):

Windows Defender - Virus & Threat Protection - Restart Now

GreginMich, Sep 15, 2020
  4. MICROSOFT DEFENDER WONT ACTIVATE.....VIRUS & THREAT PROTECTION SERVICE WON"T START

Cannot turn on Windows Defender virus protection

I had the same sort of symptoms. In the Windows Security Center, under Virus and threat protection, it said "Your virus & threat protection is managed by your organization."

MICROSOFT DEFENDER WONT ACTIVATE.....VIRUS & THREAT PROTECTION SERVICE WON"T START wm5Jc.png

I note you mentioned the Registry Keys under HKLM/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows Defender. Nice spotting, but it seems like there is another key that is causing the problem for some users.

Steps to a solution:

1. Press the Windows key and type "regedit"
    2. On the regedit icon that appears, right-click and select Run as Administrator.
    3. Navigate to the folder located at HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender (You can paste this into the address box at the top of the window, or navigate manually using the side directory structure)
    4. In this folder, there are probably two keys. Right-click and Delete the DisableAntiSpyware key.
    5. Exit regedit, and return to the Windows Defender settings screen (refresh it if necessary). Windows Defender should have the scan options available and working.

Solution adapted from here, with a much more detailed solution here.

MechtEngineer, Sep 15, 2020
Thema:

MICROSOFT DEFENDER WONT ACTIVATE.....VIRUS & THREAT PROTECTION SERVICE WON"T START

1. MICROSOFT DEFENDER WONT ACTIVATE.....VIRUS & THREAT PROTECTION SERVICE WON"T START - Similar Threads - MICROSOFT DEFENDER WONT

2. Defender wont remove the threats

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Defender wont remove the threats: Microsoft Defender shows that there is one virus, but all other Antivirus Softwares show that it is clean and only Defender cannot remove this virus from the list.By the way, I have already removed this virus with Malwarebytes, but for some reason it is still there in...
  3. Defender wont remove the threats

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Defender wont remove the threats: Microsoft Defender shows that there is one virus, but all other Antivirus Softwares show that it is clean and only Defender cannot remove this virus from the list.By the way, I have already removed this virus with Malwarebytes, but for some reason it is still there in...
  4. microsoft defender virus and threat protection

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    microsoft defender virus and threat protection: Virus and threat protection in Settings, Security at a glance "Threat service has stopped. Restart it now." "Unexpected error. Sorry, we ran into a problem. Please try again."Account protection, Firewall & Network protection, App & browser control, and Device security are all...
  5. Windows virus and threat protection wont work

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows virus and threat protection wont work: There is a yellow warning triangle on my Virus and threat protection , i need to scan my laptop and it seems very slow and internet pages not responding. When i click the scan now on security screen the next page says quick scan due but doesn't scan and has no scan now as it...
  6. Virus and threat protection wont update.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Virus and threat protection wont update.: My pc tells me that it needs to update but when I hit update it just says checking for updates and endlessly loads. Anyone have this? submitted by /u/bowman_official [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hslhy2/virus_and_threat_protection_wont_update/
  7. Software Protection Service Wont Start

in Windows 10 Support
    Software Protection Service Wont Start: The software protection service (sppsvc) will not start. When I try to run this command: "net start sppsvc" in an administrator command prompt I get this error: "The Software Protection service could not be started. A system error has occurred. System error 5 has occurred....
  8. Activating Virus & threat protection

Activating Virus & threat protection: How can I activate Virus & threat protection for Windows 10 when the option to toggle "On" is grayed out and there is a message saying, "Your Virus & threat protection is managed by your organization?"...
  9. Windows Defender - Virus and Threat Protection - Threat service has stopped

Windows Defender - Virus and Threat Protection - Threat service has stopped: Hi, I recently had malware on my pc and windows defender was unable to remove it. I used some malware removers (rogue killer, unhackme and awdcleaner) and got rid of the malware. But in the process I think I also removed MsMpeng.exe which if the exe file of windows defender...
  10. virus and threat protection wont restart

virus and threat protection wont restart: virus and threat protection wont restart https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/virus-and-threat-protection-wont-restart/7e4f23d9-a935-4efe-abe8-d6a30019c1fe