Windows 10: Microsoft details smooth scrolling for Edge, Chromium on Windows 10

Discus and support Microsoft details smooth scrolling for Edge, Chromium on Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft Edge is available for testers with a limited set of features as the browser is still in the early days of development. Microsoft is also... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, May 8, 2019.

1. WinLatest New Member

Microsoft details smooth scrolling for Edge, Chromium on Windows 10

Microsoft Edge is available for testers with a limited set of features as the browser is still in the early days of development. Microsoft is also focusing on the new features that would arrive in Edge in future and the company shared details of upcoming improvements at Build 2019 developer conference.

At Build 2019, Microsoft yesterday talked about smooth scrolling and better touch support for Chromium browsers such as Edge.

Microsoft says scrolling is a very important experience for end users and it is one of the most effective ways for a website to show that their pages are responsive. Microsoft plans to bring the most fluid and smooth experience to Chromium for many input modalities like the touchpad, mouse wheel and scroll bar.

Microsoft details smooth scrolling for Edge, Chromium on Windows 10 Smooth-scrolling-in-Edge.jpg
    Image Courtesy: Microsoft

“We took a look at our data and found that almost every 5th interaction for scrolling happens with the scroll bar, so we decided to start there,” the company said during an Edge browser session at Build 2019.

“So we measured the steady-state scrolling latency on a scroll bar on a Surface Go device and found that EdgeHTML is actually significantly more responsive than Chromium,” Microsoft added.

Microsoft details smooth scrolling for Edge, Chromium on Windows 10 Scrolling-latency.jpg
    Image Courtesy: Microsoft

In current builds of Edge and Chromium, if you have a lot of activity happening on your main UI thread, the scrolling experience could be buggy. For example, when the website is loading comments and if you try to scroll, the experience would be janky and you may not be able to scroll properly by tapping on the scrollbar.

In a recent build of Microsoft Edge Canary, Microsoft made an important change to address this problem. Microsoft has now moved scrolling off the UI thread so that the scrolling experience remains smooth even when the UI thread is busy.

“We’re baking it in by default [and] there’s nothing you need to do to support the scrolling experience, you’ll just get it by default,” the company explains.

Touch improvements

Microsoft says Chromium is missing a lot of touch-related functionalities that are already available on Windows 10. Microsoft is currently working keyboard text suggestions, swipe to type and other improvements for Chromium on touchscreen devices.

The post Microsoft details smooth scrolling for Edge, Chromium on Windows 10 appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, May 8, 2019

2. What is smooth scrolling?

Hi Kenneth,

Smooth scrolling is a feature available in Internet Explorer that allows you to scroll through a web pages smoothly, as the name of the feature suggests. If this is turned off, when scrolling through a web page, you'll notice that the scroll
    bar slides down as if it's slightly delayed, but if this is turned on, the scroll bar slides down smoothly, without delay.

This is useful when scanning through long web pages or articles.

To turn on/off smooth scrolling, see the following steps:

• Open Internet Explorer, click the gear icon, and then click
      Internet
      Options.
    • Click on the Advanced tab.
    • Locate Use smooth scrolling, and tick the check box if you want it turned on/off.

Let us know if you have further questions.

Patricia Yu, May 8, 2019
  3. Chrome 34 Kills Smooth Scrolling?

Chromium Wheel Smooth Scrolling addon will do it.

remixedcat, May 8, 2019
  4. Microsoft details smooth scrolling for Edge, Chromium on Windows 10

How to disable smooth scrolling for metro apps in Windows 10?

Hi,

I suggest you to follow the below steps to disable the smooth scrolling and check if it helps.

• Navigate to System Properties by right clicking
      Properties from my computer.
    • Click on Advanced and click on
      Performance settings
    • In Visual Effects tab of Performance Options window, click
      Custom. Then deselect the following items to Disable some unnecessary eye candy:
    • Uncheck Smooth-scroll list boxes.

Please get back to us with an update on this issue, we will be happy to help.

Thank you

Karthicka_R, May 8, 2019
Thema:

Microsoft details smooth scrolling for Edge, Chromium on Windows 10

1. Microsoft details smooth scrolling for Edge, Chromium on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Microsoft details smooth

2. Microsoft Edge Chromium

in Browsers and Email
    Microsoft Edge Chromium: Hi folks, So I recently decided to download the new Edge Chromium and I like it, but I have a question. Everytime I open the browser there are around 5-13 instances of it running in task manager when I only have one window open and only one tab. Why is that? 156765
  3. Smooth scroll not working?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Smooth scroll not working?: I recently updated several drivers, one of them was for my mouse and keyboard also Microsoft products, and when that happened I noticed that when I scrolled down on a website using the wheel, it would skip several pages so I used the scroll bar to read the whole thing. I was...
  4. Microsoft Edge Chromium

in Browsers and Email
    Microsoft Edge Chromium: Thought I would just mention that you can use Edge as a photo and text viewer, just drag and drop, have tried with .png, .gif, .jpg and .txt and those work fine. Haven't tried with videos yet but will experiment later. Videos are copied to download folder then if you click...
  5. Microsoft Edge Chromium

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Microsoft Edge Chromium: Thought I would just mention that you can use Edge as a photo and text viewer, just drag and drop, have tried with .png, .gif, .jpg and .txt and those work fine. Haven't tried with videos yet but will experiment later. Videos are copied to download folder then if you click...
  6. Scrolling in the Chromium Edge is now as responsive as the classic Edge on Windows 10, says...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Scrolling in the Chromium Edge is now as responsive as the classic Edge on Windows 10, says...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/i_post_tech_articles [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e9klyw/scrolling_in_the_chromium_edge_is_now_as/
  7. Microsoft is porting Edge-style scrolling to Chromium on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is porting Edge-style scrolling to Chromium on Windows 10: Earlier this year, Microsoft launched its much-anticipated Chromium-based Edge browser for Windows 10, Windows 7 and macOS. Chromium Edge offers same speedy performance as Microsoft’s previous UWP Edge and the firm is also working on improvements to scrolling that will...
  8. Microsoft’s smooth scrolling for Chromium makes more progress

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft’s smooth scrolling for Chromium makes more progress: Microsoft recently shipped the first beta version of its new Edge browser for Windows 10, Windows 7 and macOS. Microsoft Edge, which is built on Google’s open-source browser foundation ‘Chromium’, comes with several features and it is also expected to receive scrolling...
  9. Microsoft Edge Chromium

in Windows 10 Customization
    Microsoft Edge Chromium: I live in the US but gonna move. I’d like to know how I can change the region for Microsoft Edge Chromium? MicrosoftEdge_X64_75.0.111.0 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-edge-chromium/90e60d5d-9c1e-4058-8f2f-b7c69b510b0f
  10. Chromium Edge for Windows 10 to come with scrolling, media improvements

in Windows 10 News
    Chromium Edge for Windows 10 to come with scrolling, media improvements: Yesterday, Microsoft released Chromium-powered Edge browser for Windows 10. As Microsoft has switched the Edge browser base to Chromium which also powers Chrome, the browser has some of the Chrome features. Microsoft’s Chromium Edge will continue to evolve and the final...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. microsoft edge chromium smooth scrolling

2. edge chromium smooth scrolling

3. why is scrolling on edge better than chrome

4. turn off switch smooth scrolling microsoft edge enable