Windows 10: Microsoft does not want you to set 25 Windows Update policies anymore

Discus and support Microsoft does not want you to set 25 Windows Update policies anymore in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft's Windows 10 and Windows 11 operating systems have different sets of policies that administrators may configure. Some policies should not be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Jan 24, 2022.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Microsoft does not want you to set 25 Windows Update policies anymore

Microsoft's Windows 10 and Windows 11 operating systems have different sets of policies that administrators may configure. Some policies should not be set anymore according to Microsoft because "they have become irrelevant or replaced with a better option".

Microsoft does not want you to set 25 Windows Update policies anymore windows-group-policy-legacy-policies.png

Windows 11 administrators who open the Group Policy Editor find 25 Windows Update policies under a new Legacy Policies folder. All of the policies of the folder should not be set anymore.

Microsoft provides the following reason for the suggestion in a new blog post on the company's Tech Community website:

As a result, the Windows update policy set contains policies that no longer have any impact; that don’t work as described on devices running Windows 10, version 20H2 or later; or that work but not as well as the policies that were added to accomplish a similar experience in a much better way.

The post lists all 25 policies, offers a short description of its functionality and a reason for not setting it anymore. More than half of the listed policies were never implemented on Windows 10 or Windows 11, deprecated previously or replaced in earlier versions of Windows 10.

Here is a quick overview of those policies:

1. Do not display ‘Install Updates and Shut Down” option in Shut Down Windows dialog box
    2. Do not adjust default option to ‘Install Updates and Shut Down’ in Shut Down Windows dialog box
    3. Delay Restart for scheduled installations
    4. Configure auto-restart required notification for updates
    5. Allow non-administrators to receive update notifications
    6. Turn on Software Notifications
    7. Allow Automatic Updates immediate installation
    8. Re-prompt for restart with scheduled installations
    9. Reschedule Automatic Updates scheduled installations
    10. Select when Feature Updates are received (pause updates for 60 days or until set back to 0, replaced)
    11. Defer Upgrades and Updates (quality updates for up to 4 weeks, replaced)
    12. Defer Upgrades and Updates (feature updates for up to 8 months, replaced)
    13. Select when Feature Updates are received (replaced)
    14. Turn on recommended updates via Automatic Updates
    15. Do not allow update deferral policies to cause scans against Windows Update (not supported on Windows 11)
    16. Update Power Policy for Cart Restarts (not supported on Windows 11)

The remaining nine policies that have been moved to the legacy policies folder are:

1. Specify deadline before auto-restart for update installation (admins should leverage compliance deadline policies instead).
    2. Configure auto-restart reminder notifications for updates (Utilize compliance deadline instead)
    3. Turn off auto-restart notifications for update installations (Use the "Display options for update notifications policy instead).
    4. GP name: Specify Engaged restart transition and notification schedule for updates (leverage compliance deadline policies instead)
    5. Configure auto-restart warning notifications schedule for updates (leverage the default notification flow)
    6. No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic updates installation (only worked in Group Policy, but not exactly as described).
    7. RequireUpdateApproval (only for mobile devices, not support on Windows 10 or 11).
    8. PhoneUpdateRestrictions (deprecated, replaced with RequireUpdateApproval)
    9. Do not allow update deferral policies to cause scans against Windows Update (not supported on Windows 11, Microsoft recommends to use the new scan source policy).

Check out the blog post on the Tech Community website for additional details.

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Microsoft does not want you to set 25 Windows Update policies anymore appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Jan 24, 2022
  2. chispy Win User

Creative X-Fi Soundcards and Windows 10 Fall Creators Update 1709 = Complete Disaster / Not Working

Thank you for trying to help , i did tried your suggestion but it did not work :/ , nothing seems to make it work on Windows 10 Fall Creators Update 1709. In the meantime i have bought a new SoundBlasterX AE-5 and it did installed flawlessly , no problems whatsoever. it is up to Creative ( drivers ) and Microsoft ( bug fix ) to fix this huge bugs with Audio.

Kind Regards: Chispy

chispy, Jan 24, 2022
  3. Try3 Win User
    Group Policy Settings Reference Spreadsheet Windows 10 version 2004

To add to OilerNut's post, in Group Policy Settings Reference Spreadsheet Windows 10 version 2004 - TenForums the GPA setting Always use custom logon background is listed [row 2520] as being in the Registry at
    HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System!UseOEMBackground
    so perhaps
    - that linked procedure still works, or
    - there is a way of setting this item up manually.

I do not use Pro so this is no more than a suggestion.

Denis

4. Microsoft does not want you to set 25 Windows Update policies anymore

Windows 10 error: "Windows couldn't connect to the Group Policy Client service. Please consult your system administrator"

Hi Rico,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing with accessing the operating system.

Do let us know the following to assist you better:

• Which edition of Windows Operating System are you using?
    • What all the troubleshooting steps have you performed?
    • Have you installed all the pending updates on your Operating System?
    • Have you installed any third-party anti-virus software on your system?

I suggest you to try few of the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

I suggest you to Stop the Group Policy service, restart and set it to Automatic.

Group Policy Client service, this service is responsible for applying settings configured by administrators for the computers and users through the Group Policy component. If the service
    is disabled the settings will be applied and applications and components will not be manageable through Group Policy.

Step 1: Stop the Group Policy Client service.

• Press Windows Key + R on the keyboard and type
      services.msc
      , Services window gets opened.
    • Search for Group Policy Client service, right click on it and click on
      Stop.
    • Restart the computer.

Step 2: Start the service and set it to automatic:

• Press Windows Key + R on the keyboard and type
      services.msc
      , Services window gets opened.
    • Search for Group Policy Client service, right click on it and click on
      Properties.
    • Start the service, set
      Startup type to Automatic.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Jan 24, 2022
Thema:

Microsoft does not want you to set 25 Windows Update policies anymore

1. Microsoft does not want you to set 25 Windows Update policies anymore - Similar Threads - Microsoft does set

2. Microsoft Photos does not work anymore...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Photos does not work anymore...: Hi all! Trying to open picture in Photos German:Fotos results in Error. Repairing failedResetting failedI am up to date with all Windows updates.Any advise?TIA, Jens...
  3. Microsoft Photos does not work anymore...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Photos does not work anymore...: Hi all! Trying to open picture in Photos German:Fotos results in Error. Repairing failedResetting failedI am up to date with all Windows updates.Any advise?TIA, Jens...
  4. Setting Group Policy for Windows Updates

in Windows 10 Customization
    Setting Group Policy for Windows Updates: I am running Windows 10 Pro 2004 for my home business. I want to set the Features Update schedule to be like the old "CBB" channel Features Updates deferred for a few months after general release. I go into Local Group Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative...
  5. Why does my computer have Windows Update policies set by Group Policy and Mobile Device...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Why does my computer have Windows Update policies set by Group Policy and Mobile Device...: [ATTACH] See the three policies under "Policies set on your device"? I didn't set those myself with Group Policy and this device is not enrolled in any MDM as shown here: [ATTACH] So why are those policies set? How can I get rid of them? Thanks, Jacob...
  6. Why does my computer have Windows Update policies set by Group Policy and Mobile Device...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Why does my computer have Windows Update policies set by Group Policy and Mobile Device...: [ATTACH] See the three policies under "Policies set on your device"? I didn't set those myself with Group Policy and this device is not enrolled in any MDM as seen here: [ATTACH] So why are those policies set? How can I get rid of them? Thanks, Jacob...
  7. Some Computers does not update policy

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Some Computers does not update policy: Some of our windows 10 computer does not update policy. This is the error. [ATTACH] I checked the permissions and files of Sysvol, all seems fine. Other computers update properly. The solution I have so far is rejoined the computer from Domain, then that's the time...
  8. Windows security does not respect the local policy group anymore ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows security does not respect the local policy group anymore ?: [ATTACH] On Windows 10 (insider 1903, 18362.10024), It seems that Windows security does not respect the "Turn off real-time protection" anymore. At boot, the real-time protection will always be on. Anyone facing the same problem?...
  9. "Desktop icon settings" does not work anymore

in Windows 10 Support
    "Desktop icon settings" does not work anymore: In Settings > Themes I used to be able to click "Desktop icon settings". But no more. Now I get "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item". I first discovered this on my laptop, which was...
  10. Update Group Policy Settings in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Update Group Policy Settings in Windows 10: How to: Update Group Policy Settings in Windows 10 How to Manually Update Group Policy Settings in Windows 10 [img] Information The Local Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc) is a Microsoft Management Console (MMC) snap-in that provides a single user interface through...