Windows 10: Microsoft doesn’t remember folder size settings and placement

Discus and support Microsoft doesn’t remember folder size settings and placement in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; When I open a folder the folder is sized to half screen. If I then resize this same folder to slightly more narrow and save, expand to full screen, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Joseph_Lynch##, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Microsoft doesn’t remember folder size settings and placement

When I open a folder the folder is sized to half screen. If I then resize this same folder to slightly more narrow and save, expand to full screen, and then collapse to half screen, the same recently resized folder will continue to be sized for half screen and not the size that I just resized it to and will often move to the other half of the monitor screen when collapsing to half screen. Is there a reason Microsoft doesn’t remember these folder size settings and placement? Thanks for any info.

:)

Joseph_Lynch##, Dec 3, 2020
  2. BetoLP Win User

Windows doesn`t start. Authomatic repair doesn`t work.

Thanks again!!

I`m sorry I had not noticed that the text on the picture was in spanish. It says that windows has replaced some damaged clusters in "name" file and "directory". Then, at the end "an unspecified error occurred (75736e6a726e6c2e 4f6)".

I`ll do it and I`ll be updating this thread when I have the report.

- - - Updated - - -

I ran SeaTools. These are the results:

Microsoft doesn’t remember folder size settings and placement [​IMG]

Does it mean my HDD is useless?

BetoLP, Dec 3, 2020
  3. kharrisma Win User
    Remember folder settings

Okay, so here's the question; it's been asked before, but the threads always seem to peter out with no real resolution.

Is there, or is there not, a way to make Windows 10 remember individual folder window settings, size, position, and view? You know... like XP used to do (still the best incarnation of Windows in my opinion).

I know that you can somewhat tailor some very basic settings of groups of folders by the type of content they can be set to display (general items, documents, pictures, music, videos). But that's only five options, to apply to all your folders... and it
    doesn't address at all window positioning and size, or how you want the folder to look; for example, I want my games folder to display large icons, no navigation pane, no tool ribbon, and be in the upper right corner of my desktop at a size I set. I can do
    all this manually when I open the folder, but then when I open file explorer or any other folder, it now looks like my games folder. Now, instead of just doing whatever I opened the window to do, I have to stop and re-configure the folder view to a setup
    that is useful to what I'm trying to accomplish (such as in file explorer, where you definitely want the navigation pane, and probably the list or details setting). And THEN, when I go back to the games folder later, it now looks like file explorer did when
    I set it up for use. Talk about stupid!!

I waste more damned time with this thing, constantly changing the window's view every time I open a folder or file explorer... it's immensely distracting, frustrating, annoying, and completely counter-productive... just a massive waste of time and energy
    and patience.

I just cannot believe that Microsoft could be so stupid as to do away with such a useful and time-saving feature.

Failing a way to do it natively to Windows, is anyone aware of a third-party app that will do what Windows used to do, but doesn't do any longer? I've looked at Zmover, and it doesn't do that. It does remember individual window sizes and placement, but
    not the individual folder's display configuration (navigation pane or not, tool ribbon or not, open to "X" folder or not, etc...). Somebody's got a real opportunity to make some decent bucks providing lost functionality to Windows here. Hope they've done
    so.

kharrisma, Dec 3, 2020
  4. Amit_Sun Win User

Microsoft doesn’t remember folder size settings and placement

Change in folder size after enabling Bitlocker

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand you concern related to the size of the folder displayed. Try these steps to narrow down the issue:

1. Disable bitlocker
      and then check the folder size.
    2. We would also suggest you to open the folder and select all files and see the size of the contents.

Let us know if the size of the contents matches the folder size. If you see a difference, then the folder might be showing incorrect size.

Kindly reply us with the requested information to assist you better.

Awaiting for your response.

Amit Sunar

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Amit_Sun, Dec 3, 2020
Thema:

Microsoft doesn’t remember folder size settings and placement

1. Microsoft doesn’t remember folder size settings and placement - Similar Threads - Microsoft doesn’t remember

2. icon placement when transferring folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    icon placement when transferring folders: Hi. I use RemotePC to transfer folders from home to the office computer. Lately, when I transfer a folder from home, the icon for the transferred folder appears in the top left corner of the desktop display, For example see below: I transferred a folder named Danville 1971...
  3. Windows don't remember folder size / position

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows don't remember folder size / position: Goodmorning.Yesterday i tried to re-install Windows 11 because on my previous Windows 11 i had a problem where when i open "file explorer" which is pinned on my taskbar it will always openon its default folder size / position . When i first install Windows 11 yesterday it...
  4. Windows don't remember folder size / position

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows don't remember folder size / position: Goodmorning.Yesterday i tried to re-install Windows 11 because on my previous Windows 11 i had a problem where when i open "file explorer" which is pinned on my taskbar it will always openon its default folder size / position . When i first install Windows 11 yesterday it...
  5. Windows 11 will not remember my icon placement.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 will not remember my icon placement.: Everytime I restart it puts them back to where it wants to. Yes I have unchecked "auto arrange icons". I have also attempted to hit F5 to no avail....
  6. Windows 11 will not remember my icon placement.

Windows 11 will not remember my icon placement.: Everytime I restart it puts them back to where it wants to. Yes I have unchecked "auto arrange icons". I have also attempted to hit F5 to no avail....
  7. Remembering Window Size

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remembering Window Size: I've noticed certain "built-in" apps - the Win+Shift+S Snipping Tool, Windows Explorer are two examples - that don't remember that I like them Maximized.Most Office Programs and most software, I can right-click when it's in the bottom toolbar, select "Properties", and then...
  8. Remembering Window Size

Remembering Window Size: I've noticed certain "built-in" apps - the Win+Shift+S Snipping Tool, Windows Explorer are two examples - that don't remember that I like them Maximized.Most Office Programs and most software, I can right-click when it's in the bottom toolbar, select "Properties", and then...
  9. Windows Won't Remember Folder Settings

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Won't Remember Folder Settings: I'm running 1909 No matter what I do, it just won't work! I tried: View: List Sort By: Date Modified Properties -> Customize -> Optimize Folder for General, including subfolders. I also tried: View -> Options -> Change folder and search options -> View -> Reset...
  10. Remember Window Size

in Browsers and Email
    Remember Window Size: Is there no way to remember a window size with Windows 10? I remember in previous versions you could set the window size and position. When I open Chrome, generally the first session will open (usually) correctly. Sometimes I have to slide the title bar off the screen in...