Windows 10: Microsoft downloads from Akamai swamping internet connection

Discus and support Microsoft downloads from Akamai swamping internet connection in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Downloads (mainly Windows Updates) from Microsoft via Akamai are swamping my internet connection. I am in a rural area with a dreadfully slow... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Delta5Indigo, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Microsoft downloads from Akamai swamping internet connection

Downloads (mainly Windows Updates) from Microsoft via Akamai are swamping my internet connection.

I am in a rural area with a dreadfully slow connection (max 1.5 mb/s !), and this unsolicited downloading is using over 1.2 mb/s - whenever the PC is on.

PC is Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, currently on update 1809.

The issue is specifically that as soon as the PC is on, Akamai connections are established and downloads begin, with the immediate effect that

• ping (eg to bbc.co.uk ) rises from around 11 ms to between 650 and 900 ms
    • download speed drops from 1.5 mb/s to 0.25 mb/s

This results in all other devices on the home network (phones, laptops) being unable to access the internet until the PC is turned off or disconnected from the internet.

The connections use a single instance of svhost. If the instance is terminated, internet speed briefly returns to normal, then gets swamped again.

There is no instance of Netsession on the PC, and there appears to be no way to control or restrict these downloads.

I have looked at options / settings including Download Optimization without any success.

Windows Update shows update 1903 as 100% downloaded (sometimes) and 5% or 0% (at other times).

It shows failed attempts to install 1903, and even when it shows 100% downloaded there is no way to actually install the update.

I need a way to stop this unsolicited and invasive hijacking of my internet service. So far web searches have drawn a blank.

:)

Delta5Indigo, Aug 28, 2019

2. Windows 10 Internet Connectivity Issues with various programs

Hi,

Apologies for the late reply.

Try the following steps:

I would suggest you to run Internet Connectivity troubleshooter:

Try the following steps:

• Click "Search" and type "Troubleshooting" without quotes and hit enter.

• Click “View All”

• Select "Internet Explorer connection"

• Click next to run the troubleshooter.

Regards,

Waseemulla S, Aug 28, 2019
  3. Arun B J Win User
    Microsoft downloads

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern regarding the issue that you are facing.

You cannot download the update, you need to update through windows update only

If you have any issue with windows update follow the steps.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with Internet. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your Internet connection.

Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel
    • Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons
    • Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel
    • Run the Windows Update troubleshooter

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Arun B J, Aug 28, 2019
  4. Microsoft downloads from Akamai swamping internet connection

Microsoft Store opening- Internet connection problem error code 0x80072efd

Hi Syed,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience caused to you with accessing Microsoft Edge and Windows Store with error: 0x80072efd, we will help you with this issue.

• Do let us know if you are using wired/ wireless internet connection on your device?

I suggest you to try the below and check if it helps.

Step 1: Use
    Internet Connection Troubleshooter.

Internet Connection Troubleshooter find and fix the problems with connecting to the internet or to websites.

• Click on Start; in the start search type
      Troubleshooter and hit Enter.
    • In the left pane, click onView all.
    • Click on Internet Connection Troubleshooter.
    • Select Advance and click on
      Run as Administrator.
    • Click Next and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.

Step 2: I suggest you to clear cache and cookies from the Microsoft Edge browser.

Steps:

• Open Microsoft Edge, click on
      More Action at the right top corner.
    • Click on Settings, click on
      Choose what to clear
      under Clear browsing data.
    • Select the Browsing history, caches and cookies and hit
      Clear.
    • Close the browser and try to open it again.

Step 3: Run WSReset.exe .

• Press Windows+R key to open Run box
    • Enter wsreset.exe in the Run command and then tap or click
      OK.
    • Restart your computer and check.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue, we will be happy to help you further.

Deepika Gowda, Aug 28, 2019
Thema:

Microsoft downloads from Akamai swamping internet connection

1. Microsoft downloads from Akamai swamping internet connection - Similar Threads - Microsoft downloads Akamai

2. Downloading apps from internet

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Downloading apps from internet: Hello my problem is that when i want to download something from Chrome come microsoft store window on my screen and it's subject is Get Apps From Store..... Please help...
  3. Downloading a game from internet

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Downloading a game from internet: When I download the mahjong game it goes to documents not downloads and then when I open it up it freezes https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/downloading-a-game-from-internet/65972523-0248-47cd-93ec-91326f76dbe0
  4. Photo downloads from the internet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Photo downloads from the internet: My photo downloads from the internet are going to a microsoft word folder in the download file and won't open https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/photo-downloads-from-the-internet/49043f80-551b-403f-bdba-b66d97d0dd2e"
  5. ?Unable to download applications (non Microsoft) from internet.

?Unable to download applications (non Microsoft) from internet.: I belong to a subscription game club. However, recently I am unable to log into that account and I get a message that I am not connected to the internet, when I am. I was also unable to download an anti-virus application and received the same no-internet connection...
  6. Cannot Download From the Internet

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot Download From the Internet: Hi. Specifically I am trying to download Steam so I can buy and download the new TABS. I get "virus scan failed". I tried to download a fix for this and I can't download that either. I am running McAfee and I am turning it off for the downloads but still I get the same...
  7. akamai cookie

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    akamai cookie: Why Windows Defender do not detect Akamai cookie in Edge ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_scanning-windows_10/akamai-cookie/f968f03e-d025-4a3a-92ae-61b842826247
  8. Why did Windows 10 explorer.exe connect to Akamai?

in Windows 10 Support
    Why did Windows 10 explorer.exe connect to Akamai?: [img] 23.4.59.27 This is the first time I've seen this. What do you think caused this? 87276
  9. Background Downloading from Internet(?)

Background Downloading from Internet(?): I have a fairly new Dell Precision 3620 Work Station with an i5 processor that has a catastrophic problem trying to use the internet. I can use the internet at my DSL speed of .63 Mbps for about 1 minute after I turn on the computer then the speed drops to .06 Mbps. Not just...
  10. Downloading files from the Internet.

in Windows 10 Support
    Downloading files from the Internet.: I would be very grateful if someone could advise me if it is considered safe to download OCX files from ocxDump.com website. If not is there a safe free website from which OCX files can be obtained. Thanks 64341

Users found this page by searching for:

1. download from akamai