Windows 10: Microsoft drops Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 in latest Windows 10 20H1 build

Discus and support Microsoft drops Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 in latest Windows 10 20H1 build in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft plans to integrate the Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 in the first major Windows 10 feature update after Windows 10 1903, the Windows 10 20H1... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Jun 13, 2019.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Microsoft drops Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 in latest Windows 10 20H1 build

Microsoft plans to integrate the Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 in the first major Windows 10 feature update after Windows 10 1903, the Windows 10 20H1 update.

The company released a new build to the Fast Ring Windows Insider channel that includes the new version of the Windows Subsystem for Linux. With the change come important improvements and changes that users and administrators need to be aware of.

First, the basics: The Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 is included in the Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 18971 released on June 12, 2019. It will also be included in future Insider Builds provided that Microsoft does not find critical bugs that need addressing.

WSL 2 needs to be installed before it becomes available:

1. Make sure the Windows 10 build is at least 18917 (use winver to find out about that by launching it from Start).
    2. Open an administrative PowerShell prompt, e.g. by using the Windows-X menu.
    3. Run Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName VirtualMachinePlatform
    4. A restart is required.
    5. Open a PowerShell prompt again.
    6. Run wsl -l to display the available distros.
    7. To verify the versions of each distro, run wsl --list --verbose or wsl -l -v
    8. Run the command wsl --set-version <Distro> 2 to set a distro. Replace <Distro> with the name of the distro revealed by the command under 6).
    9. To make WSL 2 the default architecture, run wsl --set-default-version 2.

The new subsystem provides the same user experience as the current version in release versions of Windows 10.

Microsoft drops Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 in latest Windows 10 20H1 build windows-subsystem-for-linux-2.png

Microsoft notes that the Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 comes with a "real Linux kernel" and that it changes how Linux binaries "interact with Windows" and the computer hardware.

One of the core difference between version 1 and 2 of the Windows Subsystem for Linux is that users are now encouraged to place files inside the Linux root file system. Doing so improves performance significantly according to Microsoft as they benefit from faster file system access of WSL 2.

Windows Apps may also access the Linux root file system with the release of this version. While WSL 1 still requires that users place files on the c: drive of the Windows installation, WSL 2 does away with that limitation.

WSL 2 runs in a virtual machine and that requires that the virtual machine's IP address is required for certain tasks. To access Windows network applications from Linux, one would need to know the Windows host IP and vice versa.

Other user experience changes between WSL 1 and 2 are listed on Microsoft's Docs website.

Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 comes with a range of new commands such as switching between version 1 and 2 of the subssystem or shutting down all running distributions at once. You find a list of commands on the Microsoft Dev Blog.

Now You: Do you use the Windows Subsystem for Linux?

Ghacks needs you. You can find out how to support us here (https://www.ghacks.net/support/) or support the site directly by becoming a Patreon (https://www.patreon.com/ghacks)). Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Microsoft drops Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 in latest Windows 10 20H1 build appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Jun 13, 2019

2. Windows Subsystem Linux

Hello,

We would like to know more about the issue you're experiencing with using
    Windows Subsystem for Linux
    . Kindly answer the following questions:

• Are you developing a program, an app, or a software for Linux?
    • Is your Window 10 PC connected to a domain?
    • Are you managing a Windows Server PC?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?
    • Can you tell us the Version and OS build of your Windows 10 device? You can find this information by clicking the
      Start button, type About your PC, and then press
      Enter.

We need the following information in order to determine if we need to refer your concern to the
    TechNet forums or the Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) forums.

For now, we suggest reviewing these support articles to find out if there's an issue with the installation of
    Windows Subsystem for Linux:

We'll be waiting for your response.

Devlin Sco, Jun 13, 2019
  3. Pavan_N Win User
    Windows Subsystem for Linux not available on build 14316

Hi,

I have reproduced your issue in multiple computer running Windows 10 with latest build 14342. Windows subsystem for Linux (Beta) is available. I suggest you to install all pending Windows updates and check for the option.

Thank you.

Pavan_N, Jun 13, 2019
  4. Microsoft drops Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 in latest Windows 10 20H1 build

Windows Subsystem for Linux not available on build 14316

Review instructions:

How
    to: Enable the Windows Subsystem for Linux

Andre Da Costa, Jun 13, 2019
Thema:

Microsoft drops Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 in latest Windows 10 20H1 build

1. Microsoft drops Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 in latest Windows 10 20H1 build - Similar Threads - Microsoft drops Subsystem

2. Windows Subsystem for Linux

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Subsystem for Linux: Hello,Could you please provide me with the answers to the following questions regarding Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 + Kernel?When was the release date for version 5.10.60.1 of this application? Is version 5.10.60.1 still supported will receive updates, security or...
  3. New Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) 2 Linux kernel to Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    New Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) 2 Linux kernel to Windows 10: Note: This blog post is co-authored by the awesome WSL dev Pierre Boulay. Thanks Pierre! Weâ&#128;&#153;ve just shipped the 5.10.16.3 WSL 2 Linux kernel version to Windows Insiders which brings exciting new changes: Support for the LUKS disk encryption, and some...
  4. The Windows Subsystem for Linux BUILD 2020 Summary

in Windows 10 News
    The Windows Subsystem for Linux BUILD 2020 Summary: This year at an all virtual BUILD conference we had many exciting announcements for the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL)! This blog post gives you a summary of all the WSL news, including whatâ&#128;&#153;s available now and what you can expect in the future....
  5. Windows subsystem for Linux

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows subsystem for Linux: Hi, I want to enable Windows subsystem for Linux for my Windows 10, x64 laptop. I have enabled the setting, but I am not able to install UBUNTU post that. Code: 0x80072EE2 Any help in this regard is appreciated. Thanks....
  6. How to install Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to install Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 on Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]WSL 2 or Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 is an iterative update to Windows Subsystem for Linux 1. Being so much better than WSL 1, it is obvious that one must upgrade to WSL 2. That is what we will [...] This post How to install Windows Subsystem for Linux 2...
  7. HYPER-V on latest 20H1 build Linux VM's

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    HYPER-V on latest 20H1 build Linux VM's: Hi there On Linux VM's with HYPER-V on latest build 20H1 : In Non full screen mode you can't adjust the screen area so you can lose the bottom part of the screen. [img] In Full screen mode the Guest doesn't allow monitor size settings to full 1980 X 1080 I don't think...
  8. Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 (WSL2)

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 (WSL2): Can anybody know when ''Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 (WSL2)'' is expected to launch? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-subsystem-for-linux-2-wsl2/c6045de9-7177-4290-89bb-afe853adaa94
  9. New Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 (WSL 2) Linux kernel with Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    New Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 (WSL 2) Linux kernel with Windows 10: Today we’re unveiling the newest architecture for the Windows Subsystem for Linux: WSL 2! Changes in this new architecture will allow for: dramatic file system performance increases, and full system call compatibility, meaning you can run more Linux apps in WSL 2 such as...
  10. Windows subsystem for Linux

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows subsystem for Linux: I am getting the message " We couldn't complete the updates … undoing changes" when I restart the computer after enabling WSL in the "Programs and Features" settings. I am running windows 10 home ver 1803 installed on 05 Aug 2018 OS Build 17134.191 Due to this, I am unable...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. wsl -list -verbose command not working

2. windows subsystem for linux 1903