Windows 10: Microsoft Edge asks "what to you want to do with ****.htm"?

Discus and support Microsoft Edge asks "what to you want to do with ****.htm"? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Hi, The last couple of weeks some of my websites will not open. Edge asks me what I want to do with ****.htm, then gives me the options of Save, Save... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Booms, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Booms Win User

Microsoft Edge asks "what to you want to do with ****.htm"?

Hi,
    The last couple of weeks some of my websites will not open. Edge asks me what I want to do with ****.htm, then gives me the options of Save, Save As or Cancel.
    However, the websites open in Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox fine.
    I have run SFC /scannow and found no problems.
    Does anyone have any suggestions, please?
    Many thanks.

:)

Booms, Mar 27, 2017
  2. HL_M Win User

Trying to pin 'Microsoft Edge' to taskbar

I'm not wanting to "Go to the website you want to pin and hit the favorites button (star). in the field where it asks you where to create it, choose favorites bar", I'm wanting to pin Microsoft Edge to the Task Bar like I do for Internet Explorer. I don't
    want to return to the "Trying to pin "Microsoft Edge to the Task Bar - Microsoft Community" which is what happens when I do what was suggested above.

3. JimWynne Win User
    google toolbar on windows 10

Prior to this post you hadn't asked a question.

JimWynne, Mar 27, 2017
  4. swarfega Win User

You could try going into the settings app, search for "choose default applications by file type" then scroll down to .htm/.html and see if edge is associated with them.

swarfega, Mar 27, 2017
  5. Booms Win User
    Edge is associated with ,htm/.html files, and other websites open okay. It is only some sites that will not open, but they were fine until a couple of weeks ago.

Booms, Mar 27, 2017
  6. vnktrmn Win User
    Can you try enabling compatibility mode for that specific site and try ? Use the (...) button

Read further here

vnktrmn, Mar 30, 2017
  7. Booms Win User
    Thanks for replies. Have now found out my ad blocker was stopping some sites from opening, so have had to uninstall it.
    All working fine now, thanks.

Booms, Mar 31, 2017
  8. snoopy51 Win User

Booms:
    Which AdBlocker you use and their version number?

snoopy51, Mar 31, 2017
  9. lx07 Win User
    It is fixed in version 1703 if you look at the release notes. For me it works now.

Until then you'll have to open these sites in another browser. It is nothing to do with Ad-Blockers - just an Edge bug which is now fixed.

10. Booms Win User
    I had uBlock Origin 1.11.2 extension running, and they wouldn't open. As soon as I removed it they opened okay. I changed to Adblock plus and have no problems now.
    Microsoft Edge 38.14393.0.0

Booms, Apr 1, 2017
  11. lx07 Win User
    That's interesting - I take back my comment about Extensions then. I also had uBlock Origin and had this problem on 14393 version. I now have the new version 15063 it works fine with uBlock Origin.

It is odd as the release notes mentioned fixing Edge downloading .htm for some sites (TomsHardware did it for me) but didn't mention extensions.

Anyway it is fixed in the new Creators Update version either way.

12. Booms Win User
    As long as it works now I'm happy.
    Thanks for your advice, much appreciated.

Booms, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Microsoft Edge asks "what to you want to do with ****.htm"? - Similar Threads - Microsoft Edge asks

2. what application asks the user what do you want to do

in Windows 10 Gaming
    what application asks the user what do you want to do: Elderly person needs to have the option of "what do you want to do" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-application-asks-the-user-what-do-you-want-to/7c75846b-7b2f-4d4e-8330-b1518f2f66f7
  3. what application asks the user what do you want to do

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    what application asks the user what do you want to do: Elderly person needs to have the option of "what do you want to do" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-application-asks-the-user-what-do-you-want-to/7c75846b-7b2f-4d4e-8330-b1518f2f66f7
  4. Edge Stopped Asking What To Do With Each Download

in Browsers and Email
    Edge Stopped Asking What To Do With Each Download: It appears that the latest version of Edge (version 90.0.818.41) broke the function "Ask me what to do with each download" (the "Always as me if I want to save a file or open it without saving" option) as no prompt is shown on the bottom left of the Edge Windows even though...
  5. Microsoft Edge will allow you to choose if the browser asks you for your computer's...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Microsoft Edge will allow you to choose if the browser asks you for your computer's...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Leopeva64-2 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/mm45xy/microsoft_edge_will_allow_you_to_choose_if_the/
  6. As windows loads, pop up box ask what program do you want to open this

in Windows 10 Support
    As windows loads, pop up box ask what program do you want to open this: As windows loads, pop up box ask "what program do you want to open this file". No file is identified. By clicking desktop, box will disappear. Can't find anything in error log, maybe I'm looking in the wrong log. Doesn't seem to affect the operating system, just a nuisance....
  7. Whats the Point ? what do you want to open this file with

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Whats the Point ? what do you want to open this file with: I am a long time trying to get an answer to this question. Every time I start my laptop I am presented with a list of programs, which asks, what do you want to open this file with IT NEVER LETS YOU KNOW WHAT FILE IT IS. How are you supposed to know what to pick?. Any other...
  8. Microsoft Edge - Do You Want To Close All Tabs

in Browsers and Email
    Microsoft Edge - Do You Want To Close All Tabs: Hi All, I accidently put a tick in "Always Close All Tabs" when closing down Edge, how can I change this back as I don't want this setting, I thought it might be called "warnonclose" like IE within the Registry, however this is not the case. I cannot see within the...
  9. How do I import HTM bookmark/favorites into Edge correctly?

in Browsers and Email
    How do I import HTM bookmark/favorites into Edge correctly?: Hi everyone, This is my first post on the forum. I tried Windows 10 over a year ago but decided to go back to 8.1. Ive decided to come over to Windows 10 permanently now so bare with me Im a total Windows 10 novice!!! :-) My question is about importing bookmarks in the Edge...
  10. Stop asking How do you want to open this file

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Stop asking How do you want to open this file: This happens a lot. I double-click a file to open and a popup windows appears asking How do you want to open this file? It already has the program associated with it highlighted, but I still have to check the box to Always use this program and then click OK. These are...