Windows 10: Microsoft Edge being intrusive to user via lock screen

Discus and support Microsoft Edge being intrusive to user via lock screen in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; An elderly couple asked me to help them with a problem that started happening on their computer. I'm usually one to fix things their issues pretty... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by MoreCowbell11, Oct 30, 2020.

1. Microsoft Edge being intrusive to user via lock screen

An elderly couple asked me to help them with a problem that started happening on their computer. I'm usually one to fix things their issues pretty quickly but this one has me stumped.

Upon powering on their machine, they get a lock screen with a stock MS image in the background:

Microsoft Edge being intrusive to user via lock screen [​IMG]

In the upper left corner is a small globe with the message:

Use InPrivate mode with Microsoft Edge

for secure surfing

And in the center of the screen another small globe with this message:

Keep your browser history to yourself with InPrivate mode in Microsoft Edge

Enable InPrivate mode when browsing in Microsoft Edge to keep your site, search, and web history from being stored and used to profile your habits.

Surf with InPrivate in Microsoft Edge

Clicking anywhere, the login prompt comes up. They put in their password for the sole user on the machine and are logged in. Immediately a full screen Edge browser pops up. This presents a problem because they do not use Edge, are unfamiliar with it, and are flustered trying to exit out of it.

I uninstalled Microsoft Edge, at least as much as I could as it seems entrenched in the OS.

No matter what I try I can not get this "InPrivate mode" prompt to go away, and upon logging in I can not prevent a full screen Edge browser from spawning.

Their desired state is to simply log in and see their desktop with just a Chrome "email" shortcut and a Chrome "internet" shortcut. The full screen Edge browser with whatever Microsoft is trying to push onto them is causing them some anxiety and I'd like to find a way to get rid of it.

Any help would be great.

:)

MoreCowbell11, Oct 30, 2020

2. Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Oct 30, 2020
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Switch user from lock screen

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you want to switch user from lock screen. I’ll certainly help you with the steps.

Once you lock the computer, to switch from one user account to another from the lock screen, select the user name from the list of available users at the bottom left of the sign-in screen, enter the credentials to sign-in.

Below is a screenshot of lock screen for reference:

Microsoft Edge being intrusive to user via lock screen c2a15387-8165-46f6-8ab0-904d80af2e1b?upload=true.jpg

However, if you wish to switch user without locking the computer, refer the steps mentioned in the article

How to switch users (accounts) in Windows 10

Let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to help you.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Oct 30, 2020
  4. Microsoft Edge being intrusive to user via lock screen

Lock screen woes

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you to follow the below steps to try resolving the issue.

Setting the timeout for Lock Screen

• Press Windows + I and select personalization.
    • Select Lock screen.

• Select the Screen Timeout setting.
    • Select the time of timeout you need and check.

Keep us posted if the issue resolves to help you better.

Sachin V Rao, Oct 30, 2020
Thema:

Microsoft Edge being intrusive to user via lock screen

1. Microsoft Edge being intrusive to user via lock screen - Similar Threads - Microsoft Edge being

2. INTRUSION

in Windows 10 Gaming
    INTRUSION: When the power supply is cut outside my door, my pc will get to shutdown. In this case a small battery plugged in my pc would be useful? Or any other good idea do you have? If so, it would be grateful to let me know how to do. Intrusions happen frequently even though when I...
  3. Can Microsoft be less intrusive?

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Can Microsoft be less intrusive?: In the last few days every so often I have to waste time to convince the system to leave me alone by stopping to ask me to pick up default software for purposes that in most cases I don't care about. Is there a way to get rid of such interference? Many thanks!...
  4. Microsoft's Intrusion into my Privacy

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft's Intrusion into my Privacy: Microsoft's Intrusion into my Privacy We all try to protect ourselves from intrusions but neverthought the bad one will be Microsoft. Recently I get at the top of the windowI have Office 2013 a bar advertising MS products and I have been unable toget rid of it regardless...
  5. microsoft intrusion into my space

microsoft intrusion into my space: Hello. I would like to know how I keep the "My Microsoft Account" intrusion from entering settings. It now takes up over 50% of my vertical space when I enter settings and it has nothing to do with what I want. I am the customer and the user and should be in charge, not...
  6. Microsoft Privacy Intrusion

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Microsoft Privacy Intrusion: I'm appalled that Microsoft and Windows 10 finds it justified in scanning all my photos on my machine to display cute pictures during startup and idol time. Of the hundreds of photos on a NAS, someone has to have selected photos to display since they think those photos are...
  7. Microsoft edge no longer in lock screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    Microsoft edge no longer in lock screen: I lost my Microsoft edge in my lock screen. upper left corner. Can someone please help me get edge back into the upper left corner of my startup lock screen. It will come on if I hit the windows key and the letter L. However on startup there is nothing there. This causes...
  8. Lost Microsoft edge from lock screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    Lost Microsoft edge from lock screen: I am running windows 10 version 2004. I recently put in a new internet Security program and it made some suggestions and I clicked fix like a dummy and now I lost the Microsoft edge or Cortana option in my lock screen. I created rules in my firewall spoke to Microsoft and...
  9. Packagetracker.pro - via Microsoft edge

Packagetracker.pro - via Microsoft edge: Hello - is anyone familiar with this issue I'm having? Packagetracker.pro - via Microsoft edge. I keep getting pop ups. I clicked on a box after ordering something for Christmas... and it downloaded and has slowed down my computer and keeps popping up ads and saying to invest...
  10. Screen locks on edge

in Browsers and Email
    Screen locks on edge: I don't know why but the screen locks for no reason using Edge on W10. This just started so I don't know what to say. Ideas appreciated Thanks 77919