Windows 10: Microsoft Edge crashing everytime I type in the search bar/address bar

Discus and support Microsoft Edge crashing everytime I type in the search bar/address bar in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Starting this afternoon, Edge has crashed every time I typed anything in the address bar or the search bar found on the New Tab page. I'd made no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by TH_SA, Jul 30, 2020.

1. TH_SA Win User

Microsoft Edge crashing everytime I type in the search bar/address bar

Starting this afternoon, Edge has crashed every time I typed anything in the address bar or the search bar found on the New Tab page. I'd made no changes whatsoever to any settings. Also confirmed that it wasn't a RAM or disk space issue.

I noticed that when I changed the default search engine from Google to Bing, it suddenly works again. Any ideas on what the problem might be?

:)

TH_SA, Jul 30, 2020
  2. Ivan Ho Win User

Microsoft Edge: Paste URL into address bar

Been using browsers since 1994's Netscape and never thought I would be asking such a question *Biggrin

But...

I am unable to paste a URL into the Microsoft Edge address bar. It appears the issue goes back > 4 years; and although I have searched extensively for a solution, no suggestions have resolved the issue. I can paste clipboard URL into Chrome or FF or Notepad or Word or [You name the app here], but not in the Edge address bar. AND, it is not limited to the address bar; I cannot paste anything into the search bar either. I can type in either bar, just not able to paste clipboard data.

I have tried all of the following, to no avail:

1) Click in address or search bar or Ctrl + L, then Ctrl + V
    2) Click in address or search bar or Ctrl + L, right-mouse click and select "Paste"
    3) Settings | App | Microsoft Edge | Advanced options | Repair
    4) Settings | App | Microsoft Edge | Advanced options | Reset
    5) Open Edge Settings | Privacy & security | Show search and site suggestions as I type: Disable (i.e., turn off)

I have seen no other suggestions, as of yet.

Thank you in advance for your response.

Windows version: 64-bit Windows 10 1903 (clean install--new laptop; not an update from other version/build)
    Edge version: 44.18362.267.0
    Edge HTML version: 18.18362

Ivan Ho, Jul 30, 2020
  3. NMI
    NMI Win User
    How to remove history in address bar in Edge?

Chromium was not mentioned.

How to Enable or Disable Microsoft Edge Address Bar Drop-down Suggestions in Windows 10

4. Microsoft Edge crashing everytime I type in the search bar/address bar

Microsoft Edge Address Bar

Hi Zach,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community. We appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to open actual address of websites with short forms as you wish:

• Open Microsoft Edge, click on More actions(...) at the right top corner.
    • Click on View advanced settings, under Search in the address bar with
      click on down arrow.
    • Choose <add new>, try to add the default website.
    Secondly, as opening pages in new tab is set by design, I suggest you to provide this as a feedback.

Hope it helps. Feel free to contact us for further assistance, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Jul 30, 2020
Thema:

Microsoft Edge crashing everytime I type in the search bar/address bar

1. Microsoft Edge crashing everytime I type in the search bar/address bar - Similar Threads - Microsoft Edge crashing

2. Search files progression bar on address bar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search files progression bar on address bar: on windows 7 / windows 10 when you done a search in file explorer as it searched a green bar moved across the address bar - i liked this . In windows 11 all you get is the spinning circle on the top left . does anyone know how I can changed it back to the bar going across the...
  3. Search files progression bar on address bar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search files progression bar on address bar: on windows 7 / windows 10 when you done a search in file explorer as it searched a green bar moved across the address bar - i liked this . In windows 11 all you get is the spinning circle on the top left . does anyone know how I can changed it back to the bar going across the...
  4. Edge crashing when typing on search bar.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Edge crashing when typing on search bar.: Basically the title, Microsoft Edge keeps crashing when I type on the search bar. Couldn't find a fix so far, started out of nowhere. submitted by /u/zorawski [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i0wt31/edge_crashing_when_typing_on_search_bar/
  5. How to disable Address bar Search suggestions in Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 News
    How to disable Address bar Search suggestions in Microsoft Edge: [ATTACH]While typing in the address bar, Microsoft Edge shows key phrases and links from History or Bookmarks. If you want to disable address bar search […] This article How to disable Address bar Search suggestions in Microsoft Edge first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com....
  6. No Search Suggestions from Address Bar Search - Chromium Edge

in Browsers and Email
    No Search Suggestions from Address Bar Search - Chromium Edge: I cannot get Edge to give suggestions other than from history or favourites. I have made sure that all setting are correct in settings and even changed the search engines around, but it did not solve the problem. While it's not a deal breaker for using the browser it is...
  7. Edge Address bar search banner

in Windows 10 Customization
    Edge Address bar search banner: I don't want this search banner, therefore I am deleting EDGE from usage and going to Firefox. Thanks Microsoft for imposing MS software that I don't want and cant easily delete...
  8. Search bars edge

in Browsers and Email
    Search bars edge: Is it norm after the latest update to have two search bar.*Confused When I open edge there is one search bar on the very top Then under that is another search bar. I'm using windows 10 home edge and bing as search engine. Any help here Please. Many Thanks.. PS Should...
  9. Enable or Disable Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge: How to: Enable or Disable Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge How to Enable or Disable Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is...
  10. Microsoft Edge changing search bar

in Windows 10 Support
    Microsoft Edge changing search bar: How to change the default search engine in Microsoft Edge These instructions are outdated- my Microsoft edge no longer has the "Add New" button for search engines Instead of I try to follow the instructions, there is only a button to change the search engines which then...