Windows 10: Microsoft Edge detects the wrong Geographical Location

Discus and support Microsoft Edge detects the wrong Geographical Location in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Location accuracy can do a lot in today’s times. In a browser, it would mean customized search results, personalized recommendations, etc. If Microsoft... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, May 7, 2021.

1. WinClub New Member

Microsoft Edge detects the wrong Geographical Location

Location accuracy can do a lot in today’s times. In a browser, it would mean customized search results, personalized recommendations, etc. If Microsoft Edge on your PC is detecting a wrong geographical location, this guide will help you.

There are many pros and cons that come with accurate geolocation by Microsoft Edge. You will see news, ads, and other data related to your location. Some people don’t care about this and some people absolutely hate this. It is almost tracking your likes and interests along with your geographical location. Let’s see how we can make Microsoft Edge detect the accurate geographical location.

Microsoft Edge detects the wrong Geographical Location Edge-Wrong-Location.png

If Microsoft Edge is detecting a wrong geographical location, we can fix it through PC settings. We need to set a default location and then Microsoft Edge will pick it up.

Microsoft Edge detects the wrong Geographical Location Location-in-Privacy-Settings-Windows-10.png

1. Close Microsoft Edge and open Settings by using the Win+I shortcut on the keyboard or using the Start Menu.
    2. In the Settings window, select Privacy.
    3. In the privacy settings window, select Location from the left sidebar.
    4. Scroll down in the Location settings and click on Set default under the Default location section.

Microsoft Edge detects the wrong Geographical Location Default-Location-Windows-10.png

To set the default location, you need to have the Windows Maps application on your PC. If you don’t have it installed on your PC, install it from the Microsoft Store.

Then, click again on Set default under the Default location section which will take you to Windows Maps. In Windows Maps, point or search your default location and set it as default.

Finally, open Microsoft Edge and recheck your geographical location. It will change to the default location you have set via Windows Maps.

Read next: How to allow or block Cookies in Microsoft Edge.

This is how we can set accurate geographical location on Microsoft Edge. If you have any doubts or suggestions, please do comment below in the comments section.

Microsoft Edge detects the wrong Geographical Location Edge-Wrong-Location.png
    This article Microsoft Edge detects the wrong Geographical Location first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com.

read more...

WinClub, May 7, 2021

2. Microsoft Edge will not accept my home Location

Hi John,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you. I understand that Microsoft Edge shows incorrect location of your computer.

Before we proceed, please answer the following questions to help you better.

• Do you see the incorrect location on a specific website?

• Where did you input your town and post code to change the location?
    I would like to let you know that the Microsoft Edge will detect the location that is configured on the system.

I suggest that you turn off and turn on the Location option in Settings. To do so, follow these steps.

• Press Windows key + I to open Settings.

• Click on Privacy on select Location
      tab.

• Check if Location is turned ON.

• If yes, turn it OFF and turn ON
    Hope this helps. If the issue persist, please post back with the required information. We’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Azaruddin Syed, May 7, 2021
  3. Microsoft Edge..

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps if you are using Microsoft edge in MSN home page for changing your current location and check if it helps.

• Open edge browser login to msn.com.
    • Then on the right hand side, click on gear icon.
    • Go to settings, then under “market and language” and “home location” option change your current location and check whether it shows correct.
    If you are using bing.com through edge browser then I suggest you to follow the below steps and check.

• Open edge browser login to bing.com.
    • Then on the right hand side, click on gear icon.
    • Go to “region” option and click on “change your region” link.
    • Then select your country it will take your location.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, May 7, 2021
  4. Microsoft Edge detects the wrong Geographical Location

Set geographic location

How can I set an exact geographic location for my computer's location (in win 10) Cortana thinks I'm in Kansas when I'm actually in California ?

Steve Spath, May 7, 2021
Thema:

1. Microsoft Edge detects the wrong Geographical Location - Similar Threads - Microsoft Edge detects

2. Allow or Disallow Changing Geographic Locations in Windows 11

in Windows 10 News
    Allow or Disallow Changing Geographic Locations in Windows 11: [IMG]This post will show you how to allow or disallow changing geographic locations in Windows 11. Geographic locations refer to the country or region you are in, i.e., the home location of your Windows device. Keep reading this post to learn how to modify geographic...
  3. Are there regional/locational/geographical restrictions on Windows keys and/or licenses?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Are there regional/locational/geographical restrictions on Windows keys and/or licenses?: Hello, I am having an issue with one of our end users in Australia, we are currently migrating her profile and PC over to our domain post-acquisition and she is on Windows 10 Home. When I input our working Windows 10 Pro key under Settings > Activation > Change Product Key. I...
  4. Are there regional/locational/geographical restrictions on Windows keys and/or licenses?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Are there regional/locational/geographical restrictions on Windows keys and/or licenses?: Hello, I am having an issue with one of our end users in Australia, we are currently migrating her profile and PC over to our domain post-acquisition and she is on Windows 10 Home. When I input our working Windows 10 Pro key under Settings > Activation > Change Product Key. I...
  5. Are there regional/locational/geographical restrictions on Windows keys and/or licenses?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  6. [FIXED] - Wrong location detected by Windows / Cortana / Maps

in Cortana
    [FIXED] - Wrong location detected by Windows / Cortana / Maps: I was frustrated that Windows was incorrectly reporting my location to my old address, despite updating my default location in Maps, and Google correctly locating my new home address. This is not about the locale detection, but the fine grained location services in Windows....
  7. Wrong Location In Microsoft Apps

in Windows 10 Customization
    Wrong Location In Microsoft Apps: Hey everyone... I am a 16 year old and I'm quite tech savvy but I encountered the strangest problem today.... I clean installed windows and after that my time and my location were in somewhere in china whereas I'm located in India... I looked up online and found a few other...
  8. Detecting computer's location in Edge and FF...

in Browsers and Email
    Detecting computer's location in Edge and FF...: Some oddities between Edge and Firefox on Windows 10, just curious why... Edge and Firefox 39 on Windows 10, with physical locations disabled in OS and browsers. In both browser, DDG is my default search engine. After typing in "weather" at duckduckgo.com, Edge shows...
  9. Speedtest.net and edge show wrong location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Speedtest.net and edge show wrong location: I noticed over the weekend when I go to speedtest.net it shows the wrong location. I live on the east outskirts of London yet it thinks my nearest test server is Aberdeen / Edinburgh. If I go to edge, the home/start page which can be customised shows weather for Edinburgh! I...
  10. Enable or Disable Changing Geographic Location in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Changing Geographic Location in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable Changing Geographic Location in Windows How to Enable or Disable Changing Geographic Location in Windows The country or region home location in Windows, referred to as geographic location (GeoID), indicates the country or region that you are...