Windows 10: Microsoft Edge extremely slow

Discus and support Microsoft Edge extremely slow in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Brilliant! I have got what I wanted ie11 - just tried a timed test and (surprise!) ie11 is up to 3 times faster at loading ANY page. - seems to me... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by sportsfan7702, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Microsoft Edge extremely slow

Brilliant! I have got what I wanted ie11 - just tried a timed test and (surprise!) ie11 is up to 3 times faster at loading ANY page.

carrotmuseum, Sep 1, 2015

2. My EDGE was loading websites 25% to 35% SLOWER than IE-11, on Windows10. Also, the "busy" icon was flashing like a fast beating heart, while sites loaded in Edge. The major news sites like CNN, FoxNews, MSNBC are the most intrusive, with tons of advertising crap forcing its way into the browser.

Even though I have popups disabled on both IE11 and Edge, it seemed as if Edge was playing every imbedded video on every site visited. IE is much better at managing unwanted intrusions.

On a hunch, I looked through the EDGE settings and saw that I had something called "Page Prediction" turned on. I assume this is the same thing as what some browsers call "Page Pre-Loading"? Anyway, I turned this off, and Edge is now loading websites much faster, and without that busy icon flashing off and on for a minute or so.

Is it possible that Edge's "Page Prediction" is somehow downloading all the webpages at a certain site? If so, it's ironic that a feature designed to speed up a browser, actually bogs it down!
    ac

AllenChicago, Sep 13, 2015
  3. An update to yesterday's post...

Disabling the "Page Prediction" feature in Edge only sped up the browser temporarily. Today it seems to be breaking down, like an older car does. Loading websites is becoming slower and in some cases not loading them at all. The latest example tonight was Yelp.com. I closed Edge and used IE11. Yelp.com opened/loaded effortlessly. Perhaps Edge is "mad" at me for having IE11 set as my default browser. I'm typing this message with Edge and there's a pause between hitting the key and seeing the letter(s) appear every so often.

Is there a way to reset Edge to its original state, the way you can do with Internet Explorer?

AllenChicago, Sep 14, 2015
  4. Microsoft Edge extremely slow

Maybe a "secret" message was sent back to Miscrosoft about your actions and they have punished you! Ironically I now find Chrome to run slower under WIn 10 also!

carrotmuseum, Sep 14, 2015
  5. BAMinNC Win User
    Where did you find the Edge "Settings"? Also, did Edge ever start performing consistently? Your post, especially your comments about the flashing "busy" icon, reflected my problem(s). My tabs always showed the message "Bing (Not Responding)" while attempting to load a webpage.

I've had to keep switching to IE11.

BAMinNC, Sep 24, 2015
  6. BAMinNC Win User
    Any "official" response to Edge working slowly? I see many people having problems with it but no response from Microsoft. When I have submitted questions to Windows 10 Support, I get the standard response that the issue has been acknowledged. One post referred to checking the Bing Settings. Where is the Settings menu?

BAMinNC, Sep 24, 2015
  7. I also have the pause between key entries when working crossword puzzles on line. (PS I don't have the problem as I am typing this text). I had to go to Chrome when working puzzles. Could it be that Edge and Macromedia's Flash do not work well together.

ebfoerster, Sep 26, 2015
  8. Microsoft Edge extremely slow

I wouldn't doubt that Microsoft is punishing a lot of users who don't keep all of Windows10 in it's default installation mode. But that's too bad.

Tonight, I was attempting to see a live stream of the Lunar Eclipse. Edge "couldn't find the necessary resources" according to the error message showing on the stream window/player. Firefox had no problems connecting and streaming from Nasa.gov..

As is being said on message boards around the world, Windows10/Edge was released before it should have been.

AllenChicago, Sep 27, 2015
  9. Abc123 Win User
    I can see no means by which to even judge the speed of the browser itself without being able to block ads. It's ridiculous how intolerable the internet is without that ability

Abc123, Sep 28, 2015
  10. My Edge is fast no problems at all so must be a hitch with some apps I am not using, loaded my msn web page fast and mail also this forum.
    I don't use Crome at all

hTconeM9user, Sep 29, 2015
  11. ChrisNH Win User
    I experienced a sudden and significant slow-down in Edge performance but found that the following procedure fixed the problem:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...e-46ed60029385

1.Open Internet Explorer (yes, Explorer, not Edge)
    2.Click on the Gear icon, and select Internet Options
    3.On the General Tab > Browsing History, click on Settings
    4.On the Temporary Internet Files tab, click on Move folder...
    5.Choose a new location for the "Temporary Internet Files" folder (I just put it in my C:\Users\MyName\ directory) and clicked OK.
    6.Then I set the Disk space to use to the maximum, 1024MB and clicked OK.
    7.Click OK on the Internet Options dialog box and then close Internet Explorer
    8.Open Microsoft Edge and you should have solved the problem.

The author of the above solution (jmkoffler) went on to say:
    "I believe the problem happened for me after using the advice given on one of these forum posts to go to the old Control Panel > Windows Store Apps and running the troubleshooter. It moved or deleted some cache which I believe was the "Temporary Internet Files" directory and then afterwards there was no allotted cache space for Edge to work properly. This also fixed a problem that I was having with Word 2013 not being able to create a temporary file."

In my case () I created and selected a new folder in my <user name> folder, and set the new cache size to 250 MB, not the max 1024 MB proposed by the procedure's author, but it worked great for me none the less. I can't confirm that Troubleshooter is the source of the problem. However, I don't plan to use Troubleshooter in the near future, or if I do I'm going to check to make sure the folder I set up for temporary internet files is still in use.

ChrisNH, Oct 3, 2015
  12. clgames Win User
    Just got a new computer with Windows 10 and McAfee was installed. Edge was slow until I turned off McAfee Real Time Scanning, now Edge is lightening fast. I didn't want McAfee, it always conflicts with something, and I feel Win10 has enough security built in.

clgames, Oct 31, 2015
  13. Microsoft Edge extremely slow

After several Microsoft updates over the Fall and Winter, Edge's internet navigation is finally faster than Internet Explorer. Almost as fast as Firefox.

But, EDGE still slows down quite a bit on websites with those annoying auto-play videos. I sometimes even have to "force close" Edge, because the browser freezes when the video(s) are playing.

I have the Edge pop-up blocker switched to "On", but it just seems to be a pacifier switch. No effect. Perhaps website auto-play videos aren't considered "pop-ups"? How can I stop these offending CPU hogs from running? There are Add-ons that prevent video auto-play in Firefox, but I can't find anything online for Edge.

AllenChicago, Jan 12, 2016
  14. I have been using edge since I installed windows 10, no complaints about edge yet from me. My opinion is that edge is much better than any version of internet explorer. I have not seen the not responding message or internet explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close crap like I used to get on internet explorer constantly.

pitbullpup, Jan 12, 2016
  15. maxima Win User
    I installed Win 10 and Edge was blazing fast for few weeks. Later I installed hyper-v and some vpn software. and then I changed something in my network adapter settings (I unchecked some protocols) and after that Edge is real slow in opening pages. And I am talking a minute or so.. not usable anymore. while IE on the same machine works as before.

EDIT: moving cache, clearing cache, increasing size of the cache didn't help.

maxima, Jun 3, 2016
Thema:

Microsoft Edge extremely slow

1. Microsoft Edge extremely slow - Similar Threads - Microsoft Edge extremely

2. Extremly slow browsers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Extremly slow browsers: Hi recently all browsers i use are really slow close to unsable, its not tied to internet since on my phone they work perfectly and not tied to the pc since all my games and app work good. I tired clearing cache and cookies and removing toolball and extesions. All browsers...
  3. PC extremely slow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC extremely slow: Hi,A few days ago my PC started running extremely slow, to the point where it would take several seconds to open a browser. I initially thought it was because of bitdefender as task manager showed it take a lot of memory. However, after uninstalling it the problem still...
  4. Microsoft Edge, slow and laggy.

Microsoft Edge, slow and laggy.: Good morning. :When my wife and I are finished using our pc for the day, we turn it off. We have noticed that after windows loads and we try to use Microsoft edge, it is very slow and laggy. The only solution I have found that fixes this problem is after boot-up reinstalling...
  5. Extremely slow internet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Extremely slow internet: Have an issue I'm only getting 90Mbps on a 1G net service on my PC's regardless of connection type,EVEN in safe mode! While my cell phone can pull 900+Mbps PC #1 -Latest Win10Pro updates -Asus ROG Rampage Extreme Encore Motherboard -i9-9820X -32 GB Ram PC#2 -Latest...
  6. Internet Extremely Slow?

Internet Extremely Slow?: So my internet the last few weeks has been a bit slow. When im downloading updates to certain programs etc... they take forever which rarely if ever happen. It wasn't until earlier I decided to do a speed test on speedtest.net and low and behold... my download mbps is 1.23....
  7. extremely slow wifi

extremely slow wifi: I got a used surface pro 5i7 7660U, 256GB about two weeks ago. the internet worked fine and very fast..until I updated 25 out of date drivers through GetMyDrivers, that I PAID for. now, whenever I turn off Bluetooth, the wifi with work at the speed that it is supposed...
  8. Extremely slow Windows

Extremely slow Windows: For some reason my Windows 10 Acer laptop has become extremely slow during the last week or so. I have run the PERFMON /REPORT and see there is a problem which I don't understand and would appreciate help with. Here is a screen print of the report :[ATTACH]...
  9. Extremely Slow

Extremely Slow: My computer is terribly slow. There's a lag for EVERY action performed; turning on the computer and logging in, opening google chrome, opening a new tab, loading a website, shutting off the computer, EVERYTHING. I don't know what to do. I've only used about 1/3 of my...
  10. Browser's extremely slow (Edge + Firefox) when surfing the web

in Browsers and Email
    Browser's extremely slow (Edge + Firefox) when surfing the web: browsing the web is "extremely" slow, I tried edge and firefox and both have this issue. However, on my other local user account it works just fine. My ISP is not the problem because as I mentioned, my other local user is just fine. I ran ccleaner and scanned for...